+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Free Favor

Default Free Favor

Well it happened, Last night summed up for me what a large portion of PvP on this server means to people..

Played a game of Codex last night match went off brilliantly our team seemed to be all pug but hard to tell these days however we seemed to gel as a cohesive unit, Opponents again were a pug, The fight begins we win the clash have taken to flags things look good.

1st comment: Now this is how I like warfronts to be.

I agree with that statement we were on the winning side,

Now to cut things short we dominated the game from start to finish every time the guardians pushed we crushed them, it was quarter way through that I felt this empty feeling of accomplishing nothing we were winning sure but we werent actually fighting them anymore it was standing around waiting for one or two to jump down then run the gauntlet.

So half way through I say "So this is the way you like warfronts to be"

The response from mutiple players was "Yeah sweet Free Favor"

Im like where is the challange where is the thrill of battle

Was met by.. who cares its Free Favor

Strange as this may sound this left a bitter taste in my mouth and the warfront couldnt end soon enough.

You can keep you Free Favor if it means standing around taking pot shots at random red names every 2 minutes, I come to fight I come to pvp, And farming the oppostion is not PvP

still always the next warfront and boy did those next guardians get some revenge
    Sureen - Conspiracy

A post spoken from the Heart contains passion, A post spoken from the head leads to intelligent debate,
    but since the majority of what I read is full of crap I guess most talk out of thier Arse

Rift Disciple

I can understand your Sentiment. I've been on both sides of it. My personal favorite matches were always the close ones though =/

Personally, I'd love to see gear levels evened out at 50 like they are while leveling. PvPing from 10-49 is an absolute blast because everything is fairly even. However, once you hit 50 it's like running into a wall for months trying to grind out prestige level 6 and bs. PvP should be more about the skill, Armor and stat values should be relatively static throughout the entire pvp experience in my opinion. I'd love to see the pvp gear turned into something that gives small bonuses while warfronts. I know this is impossible in world pvp, but none the less it would be more fun to participate in warfronts if everyone was on fairly even ground.

the only way you're going to get close matches if you do rated battlegrounds or arenas.
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vaine View Post
    the only way you're going to get close matches if you do rated battlegrounds or arenas.
    For someone who only has a day or two he can spend gaming 3/4 weeks a month rated bgs are a nightmare. I like the way Rift has the groups set up personally, I just think it needs to have more of the stat balance that shooters have. I know Rift isn't a shooter and blah blah, but the first mmo I played, Tibia, back in the day had stat balances similar to an fps. So players who were relatively similar in level could have a chance to kill anyone in that range (after level 50 the level range is about like -5/+75) and to be honest that provided a lot of fun.

I have been way too often on the side that got steamrolled (and not always it has been a premade) and it was one of the most frustrating things to experience ...

Sometimes we just got plain and simple owned - outplayed, out-geared ... outnumbered (I still do not get why every freaking WF I join guardians start at least with 2 more players for the first couple of minutes - top was a BG with 4 vs 10).

Sometimes we (parts of our group) just gave up, be it after the Guardians got first stone in Whitefall and suddenly 30% of the players stay on spawn point with the comment 'let them win fast', or Black Garden where once after the first clash the players just stay on the cliff and do ... stand around (0 vs 76 clearly means that the game is already over).

Lately I had a row ... lost maybe not even 25% of the warfronts I ran lately (I always pug - yeah I don't have enough friends, that's why I play a MMO) and most of the games been really fun 500 - 450 BGs etc..
    However, the most annoying, frustrating games been those where we 'owned' the guardians - to wait for one of them to show up and commit suicide (if they did show up at all) or wait until your scoreboard moves up from 256 to 1000 isn't any better than doing the famous new pve ... ehm ... pvp rifts atm.

I don't feel any better while I 'steamroll' the opponents (or they just give up after first 3 minutes) than I did feel while getting rolled over.
    Might be the same reason why I don't chase a red name tag while we're in a raid group ... that isn't pvp for me - it's the big fat boy kicking a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireraven View Post
    For someone who only has a day or two he can spend gaming 3/4 weeks a month rated bgs are a nightmare.
    how so ??? you'll be facing people who 'only has a day or two he can spend gaming 3/4 weeks a month' playing like you. Your rating will most likely be low but it will be competitive. This is much like the league system in sc2. Bronze players still have loads of fun because they don't get powned by master level players.
    Last edited by Vaine; 08-09-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vaine View Post
    how so ??? you'll be facing people who 'only has a day or two he can spend gaming 3/4 weeks a month' playing like you. Your rating will most likely be low but it will be competitive. This is much like the league system in sc2. Bronze players still have loads of fun because they don't get powned by master level players.
    while your point is valid everyone wants to be able to reach the top tier of this or that so psychologically speaking it degrades those of us who are competitive, but have a family to support. Also, it helps perpetuate the massive gear differences that only serve to keep world PvP unbalanced which is where in a "perfect world" where the league system is best for every type of gamer, that it would fall short.

I will say that the system would still be an improvement from what we currently have and would make the game "leagues" better once there are enough players to make the que times for such a thing less than ridiculous. Not to mention the system is time tested in these types of games adding to its viability. While my view isn't tested in this sort of game and may end up making the game less fun. Just judging pvp while leveling vs pvp at 50 my view seems as correct to me as does yours.

Although I agree with you, I can't help but think that the current state of pvp in rift is a big factor as to why people play like this. Tbh, pvp in this game is trash and warfront's are simply a means to an end. There are so many problems that people stopped caring. They farm their ranks as quick as possible, get the gear and get out.

Telaran

It is frustrating on both sides. Of course it is worse getting rolled but it is so boring crushing people. Atleast i can make myself feel better by saying Im a bard! Im not rolling you! blame that warrior! And really the area between being crushed and getting crushed isnt all that big. Some times it is as simple as one team getting a good push at the start and the other team just never gets together to work as a team again.

But atleast it is over soon. with the q times on our guardian side running between 10-45 seconds, the smashing ends fast and you are right back into a game that might be better.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by StuffedDuck View Post
    I have been way too often on the side that got steamrolled (and not always it has been a premade) and it was one of the most frustrating things to experience ...

Sometimes we just got plain and simple owned - outplayed, out-geared ... outnumbered (I still do not get why every freaking WF I join guardians start at least with 2 more players for the first couple of minutes - top was a BG with 4 vs 10).

Sometimes we (parts of our group) just gave up, be it after the Guardians got first stone in Whitefall and suddenly 30% of the players stay on spawn point with the comment 'let them win fast', or Black Garden where once after the first clash the players just stay on the cliff and do ... stand around (0 vs 76 clearly means that the game is already over).

Lately I had a row ... lost maybe not even 25% of the warfronts I ran lately (I always pug - yeah I don't have enough friends, that's why I play a MMO) and most of the games been really fun 500 - 450 BGs etc..
    However, the most annoying, frustrating games been those where we 'owned' the guardians - to wait for one of them to show up and commit suicide (if they did show up at all) or wait until your scoreboard moves up from 256 to 1000 isn't any better than doing the famous new pve ... ehm ... pvp rifts atm.

I don't feel any better while I 'steamroll' the opponents (or they just give up after first 3 minutes) than I did feel while getting rolled over.
    Might be the same reason why I don't chase a red name tag while we're in a raid group ... that isn't pvp for me - it's the big fat boy kicking a kitten.
    yes i hate when that happens they give up so damn fast
    last night in port me and a guildy join see defis pushing us hard farming us at spawn
    all of the raid already given up just standing there we hmm ok lets take the back door! yes fellow guardians there is 3 ways out of gy
    took the back door went to idol took it out killing the 4-5 defis we ran into since the high ranked ones was farming us at spawn. then went to cap bridge and pull church boss. took out second idol then defis started to notice they losing so they stopped there yelling and laughing at us trying to go for our idols now and NOW it was our turn to farm them.
    Just a shame i didnt take a video was one of the best ports i been in and was really funny how fast things can change. Not to mention we did win in the end and farming them in end was nice payback!

pls less yelling NERF CABA they have been toned down
    Cleric wants detaunt to auto proc on everyone hitting me!! QQ god damn heal debuffs

Quote Originally Posted by Fireraven View Post
    while your point is valid everyone wants to be able to reach the top tier of this or that so psychologically speaking it degrades those of us who are competitive, but have a family to support. Also, it helps perpetuate the massive gear differences that only serve to keep world PvP unbalanced which is where in a "perfect world" where the league system is best for every type of gamer, that it would fall short.
    You can always hide the rating if people's e-ego is hurt. Also the bronze in starcraft 2 dont feel hurt as they play people on their level.

How hurt do you think people will be if they lose 100% of their games instead of 50 which leagues address. A perfect league placement system would give you a win/lose ratio of 1:1. Unfortunately for most people this is not enough.
    Last edited by Vaine; 08-09-2011 at 05:17 AM.

Sword of Telara

People quit trying because Trion screwed up in putting PUGS against premades. Now, even if its a matter of gear differences, people assume its a premade and just quit. Matches are as lopsided as before 1.3, and the Trion should be embarrassed by it. But they aren't.

You can try to change the culture, but you'll get ulcers.

Rift Disciple

Congratulations, you have discovered the secret to why people play MMO's. It is not for quality gameplay, it is to grind away for xp/favor like little crack ******. I bet, there is a lot of Rift pvp'ers that would give someone a HJ or BJ for like 50k favor.

If you could give away favor, you would probably see people running around saying "Come on man, I just need a little favor, I'll suck your ****!"

Quote Originally Posted by ultraplop View Post
    If you could give away favor, you would probably see people running around saying "Come on man, I just need a little favor, I'll suck your ****!"
    I think thats started.
    Ported over to SS yesterday to do dailies and a guardian asked me if I wanted to help him get his pvp kills said he only needed 1 more.. I told him no (as someone needs to make a stand!!) if id let him have a free kill then he would just pester someone else for a free kill afterwards.. These pvp junkies always need just one more hit
    Sureen - Conspiracy

A post spoken from the Heart contains passion, A post spoken from the head leads to intelligent debate,
    but since the majority of what I read is full of crap I guess most talk out of thier Arse

Ascendant

Had one of my favorite WF experiences just recently in Codex. It was already underway when I entered, and several others entered after me. Guardians had everything capped but the Vault, and a good 600 points or so, while we had something like 14.

From there we managed to fight our way to capping as many as three of the points for Defiant at a given time. Guardians still won, but we had over 600 points when they hit 1000.

It was hard fought on both sides, and even though we didn't win, it was one of the most enjoyable WFs I've been a part of. I wish there were more like that.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast