+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PvP Hand Positioning

Soulwalker

Default PvP Hand Positioning

*Warning: Completely noob question incoming*

Ok so being new to PC gaming I have next to no experience when it comes to PvP in Rift. I play as a mage and find that PvE combat is easy enough as little to no movement is required. Right now I am only lvl 27 and eager to try out PvP as I heard PvP at lvl 50 isn't as much fun until you get better gear.

Anyways my question is how do you position your hands on the keyboard to allow for movement while also casting spells? The only way I can think of is not using my mouse and using the arrow keys with my right hand and numbers with my left. Though I find I use my mouse from time to time to click on certain spells (maybe I need to assign these to letter keys?).

So what's the ideal hand positioning on the keyboard for PvP based on your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDane View Post

Ok so being new to PC gaming I have next to no experience when it comes to PvP in Rift. I play as a mage and find that PvE combat is easy enough as little to no movement is required. Right now I am only lvl 27 and eager to try out PvP as I heard PvP at lvl 50 isn't as much fun until you get better gear.

Anyways my question is how do you position your hands on the keyboard to allow for movement while also casting spells? The only way I can think of is not using my mouse and using the arrow keys with my right hand and numbers with my left. Though I find I use my mouse from time to time to click on certain spells (maybe I need to assign these to letter keys?).

So what's the ideal hand positioning on the keyboard for PvP based on your experience?
    You'll be told that clicking to use skills is bad, that you should be using your mouse to move at all times, and your left hand should be at the left side of thr keyboard with your skills bound to easy to reach keys.

There are guides and suggestions by class and skill rotation as to what to put where...and although I cringe at some of the responses you are going to get there, I suggest asking in the PvP forum for specific advice.

Have fun in the warfronts
    Last edited by Landru; 08-08-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

Ascendant

Rebind your A and D keys to strafe left/right, and get used to NEVER USING S TO BACKPEDAL. Turn 90 degrees and strafe to keep running at full speed. Also, bind commonly used keys onto keys near the ASDW movement keys like QERTFCZXV and get used to using them.

When you have to move your hand off the W keep for movement, such as to press 2, get used to pressing in both mouse buttons to keep running straight.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Soulwalker

Thanks for the quick answer. By using your mouse to move I assume you mean to turn on the click to move option in settings?

Remap movement to ESDF. S/F are strafe, you shouldn't be keyboard turning anyway. This basically gives you QWA, RTG, and 1-5 as easily accessible hotkeys, and if that's not enough I don;t know what to suggest.

Ascendant

Lol, using click to move would probably make things 10x more clunky. Pressing both mouse buttons down will keep you moving foward. Another thing would be to make sure your camera isn't set to automatically reset to behind your character.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

If you click both mouse buttons, you move forward (handy for swimming).

Personally I mouse left handed due to a wrist injury and normally move with the arrow keys and target with tab and mouse, and click buttons with mouse or whichever hand can get there fastest. (I have certain key powers on the numbers that are easy to reach - on a split keyboard). Do whatever works best for you. I do very well at warfronts; I think it's more important to keep focused on the goals than worry about how quickly you can tap your attack rotation macro.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDane View Post

I use WASD and numberpad. I don't use the mouse unless I am doing click-to-move (so I can look around while running/type while running) or to move views when required (very rare).

Soulwalker

Cool, thanks for all the replies guys. As it seems everyone has their own way of doing it so I guess I'll have to find mine. I'll definitely keep all of the suggestions in mind.

Telaran

WASD keys + Razor Naga Mouse, can take some hours to get used to the 12 number pad at the side but you get supplied with thick stickers to place on i.e the number 5 & 8 key so you have a center point, but once you get used to it I felt it improved my gaming especially in pvp situations.

Also the type of keyboard can help too that allows extra buttons for macros can help. The logitech G range is common with gamers and Razer have a keyboard out "Anansi" with 7 buttons under the space bar. All these things can help.
    Last edited by Xstorm; 08-08-2011 at 06:30 AM.

I don't position my hands on a keyboard, I push it out of the way for when I need to actually type something in, speedpad plus gaming mouse (Belkin N52te + Razer Naga). Looks something like http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3695/hpim0201.jpg except while in use the keboard is pushed back and the speedpad is placed in the center and turned sideways.

Saw title of thread, Thought about all those hot pixelated ladies you get to beat to the ground, ok Im gonna go lie in the gutter again
    Sureen - Conspiracy

A post spoken from the Heart contains passion, A post spoken from the head leads to intelligent debate,
    but since the majority of what I read is full of crap I guess most talk out of thier Arse

I forgot to mention how movement is done.

The D-pad is basic stuff like forward/back and strafe left/right. Turning and fine movement is done with the mouse. Attack keys are all on the mouse, while the activate mic, tab target, auto-run, map, character screen, and similar buttons are all on the speedpad. Since switching systems I haven't had a chance to reprogram the pad for Rift, so some icons I actually click on manually (for shame, I know). Otherwise the extra buttons on the speedpad will correlate to changing specs/gear sets and the wheel on the speedpad is supposed to have my three primary oh-crud abilities (forward, push down, and backward used to be deterrence, feign death, and disengage for my WoW hunter in that order...and yes, pushing down meant play dead, rolling back meant jumping away backwards, and rolling forward meant keep pressing on by parrying/deflecting everything, it all made perfect sense to me).

Rift Disciple

There are lots of alternatives if you want to buy a mouse with 12 buttons or a gaming pad. However, it doesn't look like you have these and also you said you are just getting into pvp, so the most sound advice is to use your keyboard to strafe and for abilities and use your mouse to turn. From your previous post it seems you are unsure what mouse turning is: there is nothing special to check in settings, just hold down the right mouse button and rotate the mouse-you will turn. If you hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse the screen rotates.

The reason for mouse turning is because you can turn and face the enemy faster who if competent will be trying to line of sight your spells by running behind you to attack.

Strafing basically means running sideways. Like another poster I recommend going into the keybinding menu and putting strafe left and right onto the A and D keys. So for movement you basically turn with mouse and run straight or to the side. with strafing you can run away and still shot instant spells, or can circle around an enemy shooting them while not letting them get into melee range. That is called kiting.

If you use that movement set up and hotbind your abilities to keys close to WAD then your pvp experience will improve vastly.

Here is a detailed explanation with vid:

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/rift-w...t-keybindings/

Banned

If you have rebound your strafe keys and are intending to use keys on the same side as that strafe (i.e. I have R as my right strafe and I often need to hit T,F,V,G, B, or H while moving) us the space bar to jump (continues your movement) while letting you hit those keys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast