+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The only game I ever played with balanced PVP (Idea for Trion)

Shadowlander

Default The only game I ever played with balanced PVP (Idea for Trion)

Ok feel free to flame or what not, this is just an idea from the experiences I have had in the past.

I played Asherons Call 1 for many years and in that game we had Archers, Mages and Melee.

Mages did the most damage and had AOE
    Melee had the most armour and took the lowest damage
    Archers had the longest range and had some pretty cool abilities.
    You could even by a hybrid but it would cost all your points and you couldn't get defences etc.

Now keep in mind that everyone could wear all types of armour, plate, chain etc. The only different was the heavier the armour the slower the cast time so mages tend to stick with robes / light armour etc.

Now all of the specs were perfectly balanced everyone could do things like improve run speed, health, mana and much more using their points and thats what differentiated the classes from each other.

Now the way we fought in that game was to test our different spells/melee weapons/arrows against the people we were fighting and use that type of element to attack them and used debuffs to get more damage on them now it worked well because no one died in a few hits.

Every class had heals.
    Every class could negate lots of damage
    Fights could last up to 30 mins in 1 V 1 for expert players and a good 15 to 40 min in group fights
    Fights were totally based on skill/level and little on gear
    You could avoid arrows by moving at the right time
    You could avoid slow spells by moving at the right time
    You couldn't avoid melee but they hit for less than the other two

Now I'm not saying implement that system because it wouldn't work with the Rift mechanics but what I am saying is:

Why not add a few more PVP souls and make it so that if you move into PVP your skill bars switch to your PVP setup and so does your armor?

With those new souls make it so that PVP is balanced with everyone having tools, some heals etc so there is no one healing class or one dps class just people who are slightly better at healing them selfes or another person at the cost of other stats, you can balance it however you like this way without affecting PVE.

This way you dont have to tweak PVE souls to balance PVP and vice versa which is pissing a lot of people off it seems.

Have armour sets that provide the equivalent protection for all classes etc. This way people can use magic, weapons, bows etc what ever style they like and in the end it will come down to skill and not FOTM classes.

Anyway just a suggestion, it's what I would do if given the chance! but unfortunately I only get to work on massive flash / mobile games instead lol.

Pong has some pretty balanced pvp I hear.

yea lets restructure a game off a fail game..... good idea......

fail thread is fail
    Deepstrike,were the real men PvP.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by raymurda View Post
    yea lets restructure a game off a fail game..... good idea......

fail thread is fail
    It's fine, the suggestion if you read it all was to add more PVP souls and make it so you have to use those souls in PVP.

And how did that game fail? It's one of the longest running MMO's and there is nothing in the market with more content, it just got old and ugly really.

If thats a restructure then can we please have an admin delete this thread!
    Last edited by Rashan; 08-07-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashan View Post
    Now I'm not saying implement that system because it wouldn't work with the Rift mechanics but what I am saying is:

Why not add a few more PVP souls and make it so that if you move into PVP your skill bars switch to your PVP setup and so does your armor?

With those new souls make it so that PVP is balanced with everyone having tools, some heals etc so there is no one healing class or one dps class just people who are slightly better at healing them selfes or another person at the cost of other stats, you can balance it however you like this way without affecting PVE.

This way you dont have to tweak PVE souls to balance PVP and vice versa which is pissing a lot of people off it seems.

Have armour sets that provide the equivalent protection for all classes etc. This way people can use magic, weapons, bows etc what ever style they like and in the end it will come down to skill and not FOTM classes.

Anyway just a suggestion, it's what I would do if given the chance! but unfortunately I only get to work on massive flash / mobile games instead lol.
    It would be creating an entirely different sub-game. While it might be fine for a possible discussion on the development of a new game, even this would not really work for an established game.

There is little doubt that the meatier mob with a bigger club school of PvE design causes endless problems if PvP is included. For such games, it generally ends up a case of endless bandaids to try to fix something that cannot actually be fixed because of a glaring core design error.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    It would be creating an entirely different sub-game. While it might be fine for a possible discussion on the development of a new game, even this would not really work for an established game.

There is little doubt that the meatier mob with a bigger club school of PvE design causes endless problems if PvP is included. For such games, it generally ends up a case of endless bandaids to try to fix something that cannot actually be fixed because of a glaring core design error.
    I wouldn't have thought the mechanics to just switch your cast bars to PVP and your soul to PVP would be that big of an issue but I guess neither of us can answer that question and only Trion can.

The rest of the mechanics I agree make for a sub game but I only added them in there to explain why it was balanced.

I wouldn't have thought the mechanics to just switch your cast bars to PVP and your soul to PVP would be that big of an issue but I guess neither of us can answer that question and only Trion can.
    You're out in the world on a PvP shard fighting a NPC. A player jumps you. You have both a player and a NPC hitting you - which bars/gear do you have?

So would the change only be for instanced PvP? What happens to balance in World PvP then? You'd be left with the same issues of PvP/PvE affecting each other.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    You're out in the world on a PvP shard fighting a NPC. A player jumps you. You have both a player and a NPC hitting you - which bars/gear do you have?

So would the change only be for instanced PvP? What happens to balance in World PvP then? You'd be left with the same issues of PvP/PvE affecting each other.

I suppose but what if we looked at it from another point of view, the change would be for instanced PVP and out in the open world the current mechanics hold true, truth be told I dont see much out door pvp going on and for the better part there are no complaints about things like 1 guy killing a whole raid etc.

In open world it comes down more to skill and what counter measures you have and in instanced PVP it's just a Zerg fest with hardly any organization

hehe maybe a better idea would be to get rid of warfronts all together and introduce Sieges, castles etc to the game and make them rewarding (extra plaques in dungeons, more planarite etc for who ever owns the castle).

I suppose but what if we looked at it from another point of view, the change would be for instanced PVP and out in the open world the current mechanics hold true, truth be told I dont see much out door pvp going on and for the better part there are no complaints about things like 1 guy killing a whole raid etc.
    I saw this thread over in General: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...sible-bug.html

The OP there discusses how 9 of them were able to kill 1 guy. When the 1 guy came back with 3 friends, the four of them wiped the group of 9.

In general, a lot of people are starting to participate in PvP Rifts on my shard. The numbers are growing. I always see the Green/Yellow folks running around now - which I never saw before. It will depend on the shard, obviously...
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

+ Reply to Thread