+ Reply to Thread

Thread: With PVP rifts in the game, population imbalances have to be fixed ASAP

Ascendant

Default With PVP rifts in the game, population imbalances have to be fixed ASAP

This was already a big problem few weeks ago, but it was a minor annoyance, that's it... You just got ganked more.

Now, it's a real problem, because if you have less players, you're screwed for PVP rifts.
    That's the #1 thing Trion should work on... And in the meantime, seriously, guys, stop transferring to shards to make the problem even worse... If you're any good, you don't need that easymode "transfer to a server where you'll have 3x more players" ********.

As the gap widens, Trion's pvp "end game" and life cycle continues to dwindle while players take advantage and exploit these imbalances.

Population is imbalanced on my server, pvp rifts are still a huge blast of fun... I don't see the issue here, just need to get some more decent friends then it's actually challenging fighting vs bigger numbers and then coming out on top
    Freyn likes boys in hotpants.

Rapsodia - p6 Stromcooler. I'm in ur warfrunts, hittin u for faive thousandz

It is kind of mind boggling why knowing that they were going with two factions and there would be obvious faction imbalances, that Trion did anything with PvP outside of instanced PvP...

...that being said, one of my favorite delusional fantasies involves Trion going with an alternate ruleset for PvP Shards that would make them like the long lost lovechild of SB & EVE.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    It is kind of mind boggling why knowing that they were going with two factions and there would be obvious faction imbalances, that Trion did anything with PvP outside of instanced PvP...

...that being said, one of my favorite delusional fantasies involves Trion going with an alternate ruleset for PvP Shards that would make them like the long lost lovechild of SB & EVE.
    Syfy/Trion has an exclusive contract with HP for their servers and can have blades shipped and running within days. They also have a very generous staff for a mmo studio, and budget rivaling electronic arts so they've attracted some very competitive talent in the industry. ATM I can imagine they "WANT" all this, as gamers, because it's a studio full of gamers. Must be why I give them such a hard time, that or the crazy... yeah the crazy. NO it's because I genuinely care. I want a company to rise up and not be the SOE's and Mythic's and Blizzard's of yesterday. No sir.

The concepts for pvp, the staff for pvp, the art for pvp, all of that came in very late in the project and while it looks and feels similar to other games we've tried as hobbyists, Trion didn't just copypasta that junk over. Well... ok as much of it as they could lol, but it's theirs and they want to succeed. Everyone wants to succeed at something, so it makes you wonder how they plan to succeed in pvp. The most recent teaser 4.1 pvp video was garbage, and within my social circle a complete "more of the same". What the community right now could use is some reveals that matter. Concept art. Ideas that are not set in stone you can get feedback on.

Rift's pvp isn't broken to the point we need some "testpigs" to come in here and tell them how to rebuild it, but even for a young Studio, they have a lot of industry experience between the developers, and this lack of foresight is really making them look careless.

Just between you and me tho, I'd be slacking off during the summer too. They've got families just like us.

Soulwalker

In theory, world pvp would be balanced if there were equal members of both factions (if one neglects player skill). To this end, I suggest adding a buff be added to a player entering a PvP area. If the player is of the faction with more members (I would also suggest having it vary with actual players in the area) enter a pvp area, they would either recieve no buff or possibly even a Debuff (affecting pvp only). Conversely, a player of the faction with fewer members enters a PvP area they would receive a buff (affecting pvp only).

I believe this would cause the imbalance to correct itself as there would no longer be any benefit in "loading" one faction over the other as a single member of the faction with reduced members would, theoretically, be able to PvP against entire groups of the faction with more members and win.

This is a very simplified suggestion. I understand feedback control systems and realize that there will have to be a lot of tweaking to the Proportional and Integral gains and probably some type of output tracking (anti-wind up).

Given proper tweaking, this would induce the system of players to balance itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelevolence View Post
    In theory, world pvp would be balanced if there were equal members of both factions (if one neglects player skill). To this end, I suggest adding a buff be added to a player entering a PvP area. If the player is of the faction with more members (I would also suggest having it vary with actual players in the area) enter a pvp area, they would either recieve no buff or possibly even a Debuff (affecting pvp only). Conversely, a player of the faction with fewer members enters a PvP area they would receive a buff (affecting pvp only).
    There is an issue that arises with this as noticed in another game.

I believe this would cause the imbalance to correct itself as there would no longer be any benefit in "loading" one faction over the other as a single member of the faction with reduced members would, theoretically, be able to PvP against entire groups of the faction with more members and win.
    First, people do not always roll a particular faction because of the desire to be a part of the more dominant faction on a server. Second, the disadvantage that a faction experiences on a server for World PvP is often a major advantage for that faction with Instanced PvP. Third, as noted previously - it simply does not work this way as demonstrated by another game.

This is a very simplified suggestion. I understand feedback control systems and realize that there will have to be a lot of tweaking to the Proportional and Integral gains and probably some type of output tracking (anti-wind up).

Given proper tweaking, this would induce the system of players to balance itself.
    First, again some people want to play a particular faction - regardless of whether they are the underdog on the server or not. Second, once again it has been demonstrated that this does not work in another game.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Soulwalker

The game is a system. If this is not the correct feedback control system, there is another that WILL work. If not, we would not have any process control of anything (steel mills, communication devices, electric drives, etc...) No, before you say this is a group of people and cannot be controlled like that, think Pavlov and behaviorism. There is a reward consequence setup that will affect the change.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AintEvenMadBro View Post
    it's actually challenging fighting vs bigger numbers and then coming out on top
    I'm not talking about fighting 10 vs 12 here... Because yes, that's fun, and that's about as balanced as one could hope for.

I'm talking about 10 vs 3 full raids...
    I'd like to see anyone come out on top on such a fight

Thing is, PVP rifts are AMAZING in my opinion, one of the best update Trion made, and on one of the balanced servers I play on, I'd just do that all day long...
    THAT is fun.

But when the population is very unbalanced, after opening a few raids and getting killed by 3x more players, and nobody more wants to join in... The raid disband, and let the ennemy faction farm rifts uncontested.
    That's not fun.

+ Reply to Thread