+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 76
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How about a one gear level for all Warfront Q?

  1. #16
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Speaking of which, do some people really only play MMOs to grind? That must be boring.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  2. #17
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dorksied View Post
    perhaps. but it will at least be about skill and not about who's been a masochist for the last 2 months to get to rank 6 so they can beat up newbies.

    I support this idea completely.
    they could even make sure that they somewhat averaged out gear stats on sides so that premades still benefit from their gear against other premades and outside of WF BUT solo WF participants are not at a huge disadvantage.

    something similar to the way they boost level 10s in the 10-19 bracket and so on...

    developers too often approach pvp as pve. i don't care about gear as much as i care about playing against people be that in an organized WF fashion or roaming around telara.

  3. #18
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by croon View Post
    Auden, meet quake, counter-strike, unreal tournament, rtcw, left 4 dead 1 & 2, team fortress 1 & 2, CoD 1-3 and every other FPS in the history of mankind that was actually playable by people wanting a challenge (thus excluding the newer CoDs). I have played all of those multiple hundred hours each over the years just because I got better and it was fun to see your skill (as well as your teams skill in applicable games ofc) win you the game. Multiplayer is fun without progression when the game is fun, because the opponents (real people) change over time... Why else do you think quake/counter-strike/starcraft has had the lifetime it has? It sure as hell isn't because basement dwellers auto-win after putting 2000 hours into it.
    Yes. And this is why there are FPS games and MMOs. What you wnt to play is a FPS. RIft is about progression like very other game in the genre. This cr$p is getting tiring. Please stop with this nonsense already. Either gear up or shut up and go play a FPS.

  4. #19
    Shield of Telara Adebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurg View Post
    Yes. And this is why there are FPS games and MMOs. What you wnt to play is a FPS. RIft is about progression like very other game in the genre. This cr$p is getting tiring. Please stop with this nonsense already. Either gear up or shut up and go play a FPS.
    Guild Wars. While not being a technical MMO, it was still a CORPG, and had a large enough playerbase to simulate an MMO. It is said to have THE BEST PvP of an online RPG, solely because it's based heavily off skill, and not gear. The PvP in GW is really great, and offers a perfect example of how this could work.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

    Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

  5. #20
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by croon View Post
    Auden, meet quake, counter-strike, unreal tournament, rtcw, left 4 dead 1 & 2, team fortress 1 & 2, CoD 1-3 and every other FPS in the history of mankind that was actually playable by people wanting a challenge (thus excluding the newer CoDs). I have played all of those multiple hundred hours each over the years just because I got better and it was fun to see your skill (as well as your teams skill in applicable games ofc) win you the game. Multiplayer is fun without progression when the game is fun, because the opponents (real people) change over time... Why else do you think quake/counter-strike/starcraft has had the lifetime it has? It sure as hell isn't because basement dwellers auto-win after putting 2000 hours into it.
    You have eloquently pointed out why this game has player progression. It is an mmorpg, not a fps or console game. You also pointed out how many of these all ready exist... really you want to turn a game in a separate genre into this too.

    /facepalmroflcopter

  6. #21
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurg View Post
    Yes. And this is why there are FPS games and MMOs. What you wnt to play is a FPS. RIft is about progression like very other game in the genre. This cr$p is getting tiring. Please stop with this nonsense already. Either gear up or shut up and go play a FPS.
    The post after you already said it, but I was going to mention it too, but more build something on it. I do play FPS's, but I've played Rift PvP from level 15-49 (stopped at a few matches after dinging 50) on my cleric, 15-49 (haven't dinged yet) with my rogue, 15-37 with my warrior, and 12-22 on my mage, and I've found it immensely fun. It's an entirely different game from an FPS, and I want to combine builds, skill combinations, and strategy to try new things and evolve as a player, because the FORMAT appeals to me as a multiplayer game. Why would you even on a hypothetical level deny me the opportunity to play a fair match even after I reach 50? I never got the chance to play GW1 at the time because I didn't have time, but I've heard you just create a maxed out character and spec it however you like when you play PVP (same for everyone), and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't feel like going back and learning that game now, but I sure as hell will play GW2 for my fix when it releases if Rift doesn't do anything for PVP players like me (which obviously there are many). I just feel it's such a pity as I like both the maps and play modes and the level 50 WF is great, it's a shame you can't get it before prestige and valor kicks in.

    If the Rift PVP without gear was a standalone game it would have 800 hours played on my steam account in a year, just like the other competative multiplayer games I and many of my friends have enjoyed. I simply don't have 2000 hours at level 50 to put into waiting to get to the gear level where I can win by skill again.
    Last edited by croon; 07-30-2011 at 07:48 PM.

  7. #22
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by croon View Post
    The post after you already said it, but I was going to mention it too, but more build something on it. I do play FPS's, but I've played Rift PvP from level 15-49 (stopped at a few matches after dinging 50) on my cleric, 15-49 (haven't dinged yet) with my rogue, 15-37 with my warrior, and 12-22 on my mage, and I've found it immensely fun. It's an entirely different game from an FPS, and I want to combine builds, skill combinations, and strategy to try new things and evolve as a player, because the FORMAT appeals to me as a multiplayer game. Why would you even on a hypothetical level deny me the opportunity to play a fair match even after I reach 50? I never got the chance to play GW1 at the time because I didn't have time, but I've heard you just create a maxed out character and spec it however you like when you play PVP (same for everyone), and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't feel like going back and learning that game now, but I sure as hell will play GW2 for my fix when it releases if Rift doesn't do anything for PVP players like me (which obviously there are many). I just feel it's such a pity as I like both the maps and play modes and the level 50 WF is great, it's a shame you can't get it before prestige and valor kicks in.

    If the Rift PVP without gear was a standalone game it would have 800 hours played on my steam account in a year, just like the many FPSs and other competative multiplayer games I and many of my friends have enjoyed. I simply don't have 2000 hours at level 50 to put into waiting to get to the gear level where I can win by skill again.
    It's an RPG.... you level up your character. Jesus, I despair at people who pick up a clearly labelled game and expect mario cart or call of duty

  8. #23
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BusyHandz View Post
    You have eloquently pointed out why this game has player progression. It is an mmorpg, not a fps or console game. You also pointed out how many of these all ready exist... really you want to turn a game in a separate genre into this too.

    /facepalmroflcopter
    Yes, I want to play a game in another genre, but rely on skill instead of grind. What is your point?

  9. #24
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    You guys who are against this do know that there are more platforms for PvP than just FPSs and fighting games, right? You can make skill dependent MMO PvP if you want to. It doesn't have to be a grind. What if someone likes making builds and using abilities like you do in MMOs, but doesn't want the grind? That is a legit platform for PvP.

    Also, not everyone likes having to aim or even the general gameplay of FPSs or fighting games. Again, those aren't the only possible platforms for PvP.
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 07-30-2011 at 07:52 PM.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  10. #25
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    trion thinks that if you don't have a constant grind for gear, then you will unsubscribe.

    we subscribe to games because we want to mindlessly grind out gear, not to have fun; everyone knows that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

  11. #26
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Indeed. As far as I care you can call the gear-less PVP queue "MMO-third-person-tab-auto-aim-shooter/stabber" if you don't think it's RPG anymore, I won't fault you, I just want to play that game, because it's fun.

  12. #27
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by generatedname View Post
    trion thinks that if you don't have a constant grind for gear, then you will unsubscribe.

    we subscribe to games because we want to mindlessly grind out gear, not to have fun; everyone knows that.
    Lol inorite.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  13. #28
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by croon View Post
    Yes, I want to play a game in another genre, but rely on skill instead of grind. What is your point?
    go play it

  14. #29
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by croon View Post
    Indeed. As far as I care you can call the gear-less PVP queue "MMO-third-person-tab-auto-aim-shooter/stabber" if you don't think it's RPG anymore, I won't fault you, I just want to play that game, because it's fun.
    That kind of confuses me. How does taking out the grind automatically make an RPG not an RPG? RPG stands for role playing game, not role playing grind.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  15. #30
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BusyHandz View Post
    go play it
    You mind sharing the name of the title? I haven't heard of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelOfTheGuardians View Post
    That kind of confuses me. How does taking out the grind automatically make an RPG not an RPG? RPG stands for role playing game, not role playing grind.
    I don't know, I just don't want to hurt their sensibilities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts