+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pause to attack:no more casting, firing, slicing on the run

Quote Originally Posted by Dankshasta View Post
    Try it then. You got four triggers, you can assign "alt", and "shift" so what can you do on a hotbar that you can't do better, and faster on an xbox controller? Once you get used to the dual axis for movement/field of vision it's great. Since Rift is yet another "tab targeter" and not a "aiming" game, it becomes ridiculously easy to use a controller. Especially since some macros in Rift are always going to be usefull. i used to keep my X-padder kind of a secret, cuz it's super pro, but now the game seems so dumbed down and completely "valor" based...who cares? Anyway every rogue, warrior, and mage I know who switched to a game pad loves it, and no way would they go back to mouse, and keyboard.

You know come to think of it ....yeah I've seen MMOs that are way too gear based, but the thng about Rift is; They got gear based so fast! Like a game launch is almost a gear "reset" but here we are just a few months after launch, and with no xpacs yet, and just look at the gear already. It's a bad sign. Where do they go now? They've over-itemized the game so much already, and it just launched. Bad sign indeed.
    Actually I might believe someone could use that effectively. But tbh I always hated consoles for not being able to use keyboard and mouse. I just can't handle those pads.

How can you move and rotate the camera at the same time btw? And is turning with a stick not like wasd-failing?
    Last edited by Elerina; 07-18-2011 at 12:54 PM.

ITT: Let's glaze over the fact that we know nothing about how to design a video game by comparing everything in video games to real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    Regardless, when someone is trying to do a truly damaging strike it is going to be with their feet relatively planted, not while they are on the run jumping and turning.

And Rottweiler, while there is obviously a suspension of belief when playing in the world but it doesn't mean that good ideas can't be rooted or defended from a realism perspective.
    flying knee. spinning back fist. Superman punch. go watch mma

Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post
    Actually I might believe someone could use that effectively. But tbh I always hated consoles for not being able to use keyboard and mouse. I just can't handle those pads.

How can you move and rotate the camera at the same time btw? And is turning with a stick not like wasd-failing?
    WASD is the left stick (strafe though not turn) and then the right stick is "mouselook" that's why you use Xpadder, it sets up the controls quite nicely. Try it man, it's really nice.
    I need 900 valor, and a healer to kill Dankshasta
    "How do i pwn so good?"

DARKFALL PvP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dankshasta View Post
    WASD is the left stick (strafe though not turn) and then the right stick is "mouselook" that's why you use Xpadder, it sets up the controls quite nicely. Try it man, it's really nice.
    Nah I'm not sure man. But I believe it's doable.

Though I really wished I had seen your sig when pyro was top dawg. That would have been awesome indeed
    Last edited by Elerina; 07-18-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    very good point.......2 min CD abilities...how often do you see those in a match?

and remember, has to be used versus stationary target as well

I can dig that

Prophet of Telara

This works with giant double edged swords and axes as well? I as well as others have explained why MMA is a bad comparison.

Plane Walker

This works with giant double edged swords and axes as well? I as well as others have explained why MMA is a bad comparison.
    and to be honest they are telegraphed....spinning left is a faux right hand with cross-overstep of the right foot followed by momentum shift swing of the left

usually when striking with power, left foot forward, right hand follows......spinning is right foot & right hand forward followed by spin left.....telegraphed.....and a stance imperative to pull off.

Running knee has to be timed....almost like baby steps-shuffle before a soccer player strikes the ball.

basically...it's not just an ability...it's a set of circumstances and set-up......not running knee, backhand, into superman punch in a 5 sec chain.
    Last edited by quicklikesloth; 07-18-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Ascendant

Those lunging superman punches supposed to be circle strafing?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Vember View Post
    Those lunging superman punches supposed to be circle strafing?
    his feet were set, then steps into punch

yeah, not running around then KO

and he's a rogue build with Dex and counters proc'ing
    Last edited by quicklikesloth; 07-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.

right nobody could pull those moves off with 2 daggers in their hands.

didnt russel crowe land some spinning elbows in gladiator?

im sure back in the day nobody used their feet, elbows or head as weapons in addition to their actual blade. *sarcasm*
    Last edited by Rottweiler-STi; 07-19-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Plane Touched

It's probably been said before, but this would turn in to the problem AIon had with assassins for example.

All you had ot do was simply walk away from them to kite them.
    You didn't even need enhanced runspeed.

Everytime they stop, you keep walking away and they would get the "You are too far away" msg popping up.

Global Cooldown is already anice feature imo. I just think that some spells and abilities should have a 1 second cast time instead, cause atm, you see dominators for example, just running./jumping/etc while spaming instant debuffs on you. Or back to back squirrels.
    Argantes - P50 Warrior
    Crossreaper - P45 Rogue
    Darkraven P50 Mage
    Storm Inquisition, Icewatch.

Ascendant

While we're on the subject of what is realistic...I've never seen anyone shoot fireballs out of their hands so we should remove mages from the game. People going invisible? WTF-REMOVE ROGUES. Kiting needs to be removed altogether so warriors can faceroll people easier
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

If anyone's vision of fantasy combat involves someone bunny hopping in a crowd spamming instant abilities you have severe problems.

Most of the popular specs atm have one of two things: total mobility or heals. If you cant do one of those you lose. CC is out as 9 out of 10 times they are either immune or its broken by the metric ton of aoe nibbles/breakfree's.

As a Sin against a cleric I either burst them down during stunlock combo or fail. 9 times out of 10 they use some sort of break free and laugh at me as they bunny hop around simultaneously healing themselves and teammates. I ran nb for fel blades until I realized it didnt help.

Against a marksman I use an opener, he uses break free - ZOOM- turn around - burst me down.

Chloromancers have to channel and cast spells while using instant heals on CD, clerics have numlock taped down while they spam heals and watch Gilmore Girls on TV.

Granted my attacks as a sin are instant but it requires me to be in melee, whilst being squishy, and not posessing any real healing ability. Its supposed to be give and take not "Why arent you a MM?"
    Last edited by Malvolio; 07-19-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Plane Walker

i figured one game by now would have Crit and dmg scored based on how the attack was performed.

arrow from stance +75% crit..running +75% to miss
    sword from stance +75% crit...running +75% chance to wiff and fall on your ***(1 sec)

good thing Mages don't have to worry about physical attacks...lightning from the sky shouldn't care if the caster was moving

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast