+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Arena and why we desperately need it

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post
    Why would Trion copy paste Arenas into their game when the WoW devs stated it was the biggest mistake in the entire history of WoW?
    Oh hey, let's twist words some more!

Soulwalker

Call it w/e you want, but this game needs some kind of "arena".

Shadowlander

I believe that Rift would have a richer PvP experiance if arenas were part of the game.... not because of the gear or the titles, but rather so players can have reliable access to small scale PvP should they desire it. While you can go running across the world looking for PvP with two of your buddies, this method isn't nearly as reliable as queing for a match is. I say bring the PvP on... in ANY form it can come in.

lud
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post
    Why would Trion copy paste Arenas into their game when the WoW devs stated it was the biggest mistake in the entire history of WoW?
    They never said that, learn to read.

Fear not, fellow PvPers, Trion have been working very hard on a solution, and in 1.4 we all get to see it!

What is this magic you ask? Brace yourselves and rejoice, for what you are about to hear is mind-blowing.. We are getting TWO, NEW, WHOLE, RANKS to farm, YES! It is incredible! It will solve all our problems and significantly raise the quality of this game!

High-five, gang! Now we can all go back to our jobs.

Seriously, suggest me your drugs. I'll give them a try just to know how is it to be awesome and cool like the best Defiant mage I have ever encountered in wfs!
    - Suldanesellar, fan of Lord Psykoz.

Subscription cancelled 2011-08-18

Arenas rly nice.

And since I'm already here I might aswell say that the third reich was rly nice aswell.

PvP rifts are the future imo. Before the pvp dailies, the best pvp for me was located at raid/major rifts. PvP rifts will be the ****. I'm thrilled with that direction trion is doing.

Ok, as long as this is a debate, then there is no debate. Obviously some people want arena, and some do not. For the people that do not, i apologise, but lets be honest, as arena is an instanced area, if you dont partake then you will never even encounter it, thus it will have no effect on your game whatsoever, yet again, no problem there. However for the people that do, which is who I am targeting with the majority of this post....

Would you not like the option, if nothing else, just to see if it fails or if it is fun. I know i would, you can go on and on, about FOTM comps etc etc, but you can only complain about something you enjoy, for if you didn't you would not care, and thus not expose yourself to it. So for that reason, why would Trion ignore something that they CAN implement that so many of us could (possibly) enjoy. The answer is, they wont.

As long as people or vocal about what they would like to see in the game that they pay for and play, then the developer will do thier best to appease them, as we all know, the customer is always rite.

I can see that possibly it could extend WF que times (which if you are in a group are allready horrible) and i can also see that it may dilute the World pvp, but in my expierience, people that go out looking for a fight would prefer to be able to do it in a controlled environment where other people can not intervene, for instance, would it not be annoying if people out of party could heal players that were partaking in a duel? Also, there is an aspect to all world pvp that is based around simple numbers, he who has the most freinds ultimately wins, in arena this is not the case.. you can practice and hone you skills in a controlled non-abusable environment. You could however say, but there is no feeling like winning 2 vs 5 and showing people that you will not be walked over, this to me just shows you are playing against people who are not of your gear/skill level, in arena however you would be matched with what Trion would consider the closest to YOUR skill/gear level.

In short, its all about supply and demand... not about your point of view, or mine. There IS demand so Trion...... please supply. x

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Phalx View Post
    Would you not like the option, if nothing else, just to see if it fails or if it is fun. I know i would, you can go on and on, about FOTM comps etc etc, but you can only complain about something you enjoy, for if you didn't you would not care,
    I would not like that option in this situation. It take development time away from other things, most like of which would be an actual dynamic PvP/RvR campaign of some kind. Remember where Rift is described as a dynamic mmo? We could see something that potentially has more interest. It sometimes works to feel for new ideas and think them through rather than spending time and resources slapping something together and probably tossing it later; or worse, wishing you could toss it but cant like WoW arenas.

Arenas just aren't as "dynamic" as some other possibilities. It's just instanced with a type of duel.

What's worse is the arena system could actually cause more problems than it would actually solve. Assuming the arenas function mostly the same as the WoW ones; Most people would need an incentive to actually stomach something truly competitive; gear or some such. There's already WF prestige, so would the PvP method that requires more skill have even better gear than the WFs effectively forcing PvP out of grindy instances into even more cramped boring instances? Or would it be welfare epics again? Imo getting favor vomitted on you for losing WFs is welfare enough.

Then there's all the FotM stuff. The souls are already a balancing nightmare, arenas would only make them worse.

If we wanted a truly simple and effective solution to a desire for truly competitive PvP, ranked warfronts could work just fine without the extra hassle.
    Last edited by Mechchicken; 07-14-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Telaran

I'm not against arenas. Personally, I think running around boxes for hours is very boring and rated battlegrounds would be much more fun.

I do NOT think that rift should be balanced around arenas, if they were added. It would be a lot better if rift was balanced around 10v10s or 5v5s

Also, if rvr is going to be in a game, it needed to be created with a game and not just a side thing. Any rvr added into rift will always just turn into zerg v zerg
    Last edited by fuller; 07-14-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechchicken View Post
    Most people would need an incentive to actually stomach something truly competitive; gear or some such.
    Gear, titles, mounts, vanity items. Keep your prestige farm welfare gear if you must, still I am certain many people would play arena, as I've mentioned in a previous post.

Despite if some of you may not, many others do just like the competion, and the availability to access small scale ranked PvP, and everything else it has to offer.
    Last edited by Psykoz; 07-14-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Seriously, suggest me your drugs. I'll give them a try just to know how is it to be awesome and cool like the best Defiant mage I have ever encountered in wfs!

Sigh, when will they fix the edit button???

(Hidden bump)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pippington View Post
    The endless nerfing.

WoW had it and it had a much less complex class system, in Rift when you boil things down in an Arena system that is basically group duelling the nerfs will be huge, complex and never ending.

The only way to possibly get around this would be to limit minimum team size to numbers of at least 10+ (probably more like 15+: so no 2v2 or 3v3 or even 5v5/6v6 etc), but even then I'm not convinced that it wouldn't be the start of a nerf frenzy unseen before in MMOs.

Rating and competition can be brought in in other ways.

Blizzard have stated they'd never have put Arenas in WoW if they knew then what they knew now, and that probably says it all.
    I'd agree that the "endless nerfing" and homogenization was what put me off of WoW when cata came out, but from what i understand cata was run by a different company or something to that affect. I very much enjoyed WotLK arena, despite the fact that arena may never be fully balanced. WotLK makes me think that arena can be moderately well balanced and a lot of fun.

Maybe i just don't get it, but it's hard for me to imagine that the pvp base in general is going to be happy with pvp in it's current form as is. If you're wondering, no, i did not play RMP or any variation. I played feral and was happy with it despite, and in part because, it was one of the crappier specs in the game.

I used to want Arena in this game but I am not sure anymore a lot of the classes seem unbalanced put together. Maybe if you could make it 1 calling per team? Who needs 5v5s any way :P

EDIT:: And I mean Trion is supposed to be focusing 1.4 and 1.5 on PVP if you haven't already seen the 1.4 notes check them out things are in the future!
    Last edited by Nazthran; 07-15-2011 at 09:24 AM.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/signitureb.jpg/

This is an MMO, and there will never be perfect balance, ever. Some will be better, some worse, and that will always be the case.

I quote myself in the first post;
    No matter how you look at it though, whatever the flavour of the month happens to be, with the amount of different builds we are able to make, we should always have at least one available to compete in the high end.
    If you're not comfortable with the current FotM specs, find a way to work around it with new strategies and team compositions with the spec you insist on, it has been done many times. If you don't like it, don't play it, because asking for perfect balance is naive.

I, personally would just play the current spec I enjoy playing and do the best I can with it.

Of course Trion should do the best they can to balance though. But we can also be honest, many times people will make the over/underpowerness of a class out to be worse than it is, it's easier to whine than to adapt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast