+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bunny Hopping for the noob PvPer

Default Bunny Hopping for the noob PvPer

I saw the 8 page thread on what is a complete non issue so I thought I would enlighten those new to pvp on hopping around.

Hopping around is a way to get a quick Line of Sight (LoS) to the target; think about it. If you have a low object blocking LoS, jump and at the apex click the attack or spell you want. Voila, it goes off. It is a tactic, not an exploit. Welcome to Rift instacasting PvP...

How do you fix this "exploit"? Eliminate all instant cast abilities. Make all abilities uncastable while running or moving. Watch how fast mages die if you do that. Imagine no dammage or heal output while moving. Kind of makes them useless in anything but defensive battles.

You guys do realize this is not an exploit right? Its simply good tactics. If you eliminate run/instacast then Rogues and Warriors will become even stronger. They will have strong mobile auto attacks while mages and healers will be stuck with no dammage/heal/utility output while chasing kiting rogues or getting kicked around by warriors.

Try Everquest 2 PvP and you will see what I mean. Only scouts and warriors can run cast in that game but they also have stellar auto attack so you can even stifle them and they do a tremendous amount of DPS. Its why I came to Rift, this is by far the most balanced PvP I have seen.

Soulwalker

Make all abilities uncastable while running or moving. Watch how fast mages die if you do that.
    I am quite sure mages die extremely fast as it is. Also, this post made me ROFL.

Ascendant

*Constant jumping will not cause melee attackers to be out of range for attack.

* Fixed an issue causing abilities to fail to work properly against players that had just been stunned while jumping.

These two fixes were in todays patch they are real bugs (hopefully fixed) and whether people knew it or not it was being exploited.
    Last edited by jaym7018; 06-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    The artist formerly known as Daroof

Mofugga-bethlam

Bunny Hoppy used to line of sights the melee target even if you were stunned and standing directly in front of him. How did it work? Simply spam pressing jump in combat. If you got stunned you would be unattackable, and frustrated melee players trying to hit you would get the "must be facing target" message.

Now will this keep them from jumping around like fools, and play the game as intended?

Quote Originally Posted by jaym7018 View Post

* Fixed an issue causing abilities to fail to work properly against players that had just been stunned while jumping.

These two fixes were in todays patch they are real bugs (hopefully fixed) and whether people knew it or not it was being exploited.
    That is an expoit, I was unaware of. You will still find me hopping around though to get LoS

No it won't. And you're all missing the significant difference between bunny hopping and, bunny hopping.

Quote Originally Posted by shimmerman View Post
    Now will this keep them from jumping around like fools, and play the game as intended?
    If I could get LoS without jumping... I would stop jumping?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful86 View Post
    No it won't. And you're all missing the significant difference between bunny hopping and, bunny hopping.
    You are right, I can't tell the difference between bunny hopping and bunny hopping.

Perhaps if I re-arainged them...

bunny hopping and bunny hopping

Nope, still can't tell

Quote Originally Posted by jaym7018 View Post

My latest levling toon is Tiratore on Alsbeth, leveled from 10 to 48 so far almost entirely in WF. Never once came accross this, but then again I am usually healing or buffing. My Cadence targets are usually enemey healers in the front of the fight and they are always standing still so....

But when you see me still jumping around, its to get LoS.

Well, there's the "because I can" bunny hoppers.. let's call them the ADHD'ers who have and will always do it regardless of their class, regardless of PVP or PVE. And then there's the scenario where bunny hoppers would fall out of melee range while hopping which isn't really the hoppers fault but more of a "glitch" on Trion's end which has now been fixed. Bunny hopping itself isn't wrong, it's a way of playing. The cool kids stand on the rock staring into space and spamming their casts.. the ADHD'ers run around frantically hopping up and down every damned second they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful86 View Post
    Well, there's the "because I can" bunny hoppers.. let's call them the ADHD'ers who have and will always do it regardless of their class, regardless of PVP or PVE. And then there's the scenario where bunny hoppers would fall out of melee range while hopping which isn't really the hoppers fault but more of a "glitch" on Trion's end which has now been fixed. Bunny hopping itself isn't wrong, it's a way of playing. The cool kids stand on the rock staring into space and spamming their casts.. the ADHD'ers run around frantically hopping up and down every damned second they get.
    When I do it in Meridian I usually claim it to be Brownian motion. Sounds much better than spastic bouncing as a result of ADHD tbh...

Keep doing it and watch how many people start bouncing all over the place with you. Its a mental contagion.

Edit spelling
    Last edited by Bliter; 06-22-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Default Hopping is part of the game

The main benefit of hopping is that it allows the player to move in any direction regardless of which direction they are actually facing, at the forward run speed. Hopping backward is faster then walking backwards.

Also, meleers trying to hack you down cannot read your movements as easily, because you can actually hop left and right (without actually facing that direction). This is not an exploit, you can be certain that the ability to hop left/right/diagonally without facing that direction was done intentionally. You can also be certain that the speed/distance of the hop being equal to run speed was done intentionally.

If you wanted to make the game more combat realistic all that would be needed would be:

1) decrease the directions in which you can hop (at a speed/distance equivalent to run speed): no hopping left or right without first turning and facing that direction; Or hop at a reduced distance when changing direction.
    2) implement the notion of stamina or reduce a player's "energy" for each hop
    3) do not allow limitless continual sustained hopping at absolutely zero consequence to the hopper

As it is, I play both a ranged dps and a meleer so I'm fine with the system as it is. I'm just tired of people screaming exploit when they don't understand basic mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Godless One View Post
    The main benefit of hopping is that it allows the player to move in any direction regardless of which direction they are actually facing, at the forward run speed. Hopping backward is faster then walking backwards.

Also, meleers trying to hack you down cannot read your movements as easily, because you can actually hop left and right (without actually facing that direction). This is not an exploit, you can be certain that the ability to hop left/right/diagonally without facing that direction was done intentionally. You can also be certain that the speed/distance of the hop being equal to run speed was done intentionally.

If you wanted to make the game more combat realistic all that would be needed would be:

1) decrease the directions in which you can hop (at a speed/distance equivalent to run speed): no hopping left or right without first turning and facing that direction; Or hop at a reduced distance when changing direction.
    2) implement the notion of stamina or reduce a player's "energy" for each hop
    3) do not allow limitless continual sustained hopping at absolutely zero consequence to the hopper

As it is, I play both a ranged dps and a meleer so I'm fine with the system as it is. I'm just tired of people screaming exploit when they don't understand basic mechanics.
    Hmm, pretty good idea actually. Might make mages a little more survivable if it slowed down rogues using hopping and terrain together.

Rift Disciple

It was a known bug. Some will troll and come in to say it's a collective figment of imagination from thousands of players and that those who claim such a bug existed need to learn to play.

But I dunno. Going by the patch notes, it seems the developers themselves agree the bug existed and that they managed to fix it.

I'll tell you what is more likely. These same trolls probably never played their melee souls in pvp. Maybe when they were leveling, they got jumped once or twice and never saw the bug manifest and so to them we must all be lying.

The issue was not with the fact people jump when they pvp. People do that in all pvp games that allow jumping.

The issue was when you jump in this game, it sometimes triggered an out of range bug which prevented melee abilities from landing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast