+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP Healing Fix: Look to Bloodline Champions

Thumbs up PvP Healing Fix: Look to Bloodline Champions

Bloodlines Champions has an interesting solution to balance healing in PvP. Essentially, if you take a massive amount of damage and then are healed, a percentage of your total hit point pool becomes diminished, i.e. a small chunk of your hit point pool becomes gray.

Example:

[--------------] 1000 hit points, healthy and alive.
    [------|-------] You're attacked and damaged to 40% hit points.
    [-----------|||] You're healed but now your total hit pool is diminished by a small amount.
    [----|||||||||] If your available hit point pool is diminished again below 40%, your hit point pool is further diminished.

In Bloodlines, once you're out of combat you can channel an ability to slowly recover your normal hit point total.

A player from their forums describes the mechanics better than I can:

"The healing cap system is pretty genius, actually. It forces you to burst targets down in large chunks of HP in short periods of time, meaning you need to burst away at least 41% of their HP in order to make a permanent mark. This encourages/rewards teamplay where you focus fire certain targets, rendering them unable to recover all of their HP.

Similarly, it prevents idle stalemates caused by teammates running away and healing up to full HP every 20 seconds. It encourages aggressive, offensive behavior rather than passive, defensive behavior.

Besides, without a healing cap, double and triple healer teams would be much stronger due to the amount of HP they could recover in such short bursts of time. This would lead to even longer stalemates when both teams utilize double and triple healer teams.

All of these facts mixed together result in a game that is designed to be fast, fun and full of action. Stunlock Studios did well in this area."

DucKe

If you've played Bloodlines you'll notice that if you don't get damaged below 40% of your health you'll never notice your health bar turning gray. It feels terribly balanced in this context. I wonder if Rift's PvP could benefit from this or a similar mechanic.

What do you do think?
    Last edited by Ludus; 06-22-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    "While we encourage users to start discussions that promote users to share their points of view, we feel this discussion does not invite any discussion and will end up full of spam." - Jakranka (Rift Moderator)

Rift Master

Horrible idea, L2Play

Prophet of Telara

This sounds like a pretty cool system, I don't think you will ever see anything like it implemented in rift. Is Bloodline Champions a good game? I had never heard of it till you mentioned it but the just checking out the idea of the game makes it sound like it could be my PvP fix till a MMO with good PvP comes out.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblet View Post
    Horrible idea, L2Play
    I'm absolutely SHOCKED there was a response such as this on these forums.

Shocked, I tell ya.

Go back to FPS, this is a MMO, where healing is a major part of it. Seriously, take the QQ FPS League back, and stay away from the MMO genre, it is too hard for you.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

Telaran

Bloodline Champions is a HORRIBLE example of how to do PvP in an MMO.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    Go back to FPS, this is a MMO, where healing is a major part of it. Seriously, take the QQ FPS League back, and stay away from the MMO genre, it is too hard for you.
    Pretty sure there was no QQ in his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    This sounds like a pretty cool system, I don't think you will ever see anything like it implemented in rift. Is Bloodline Champions a good game? I had never heard of it till you mentioned it but the just checking out the idea of the game makes it sound like it could be my PvP fix till a MMO with good PvP comes out.
    It's an interesting game. It's not a fully featured MMO at all, it's a lobby based PvP client that relies a lot on skill and class familiarity (yours and your enemies). I'll take Rift PvP all day long, warts and all, but Rift's PvP relies more on Grind > Stats > Skill to be successful, while a game like Bloodlines is more a pure Skill PvP game that requires more twitch than most RPG players would be comfortable with.
    Last edited by Ludus; 06-22-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    "While we encourage users to start discussions that promote users to share their points of view, we feel this discussion does not invite any discussion and will end up full of spam." - Jakranka (Rift Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    Pretty sure there was no QQ in his post.
    He only made it because he thinks healing is fine, amirite? The FPS QQ League just doesn't like to work for a kill. No, they want head shots in an MMO, and that is just stupid.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-22-2011 at 09:11 AM.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    Topeka Photography

He only made it because he thinks healing is fine, amirite? The FPS QQ League just doesn't like to work for a kill. No, they want head shots in an MMO, and that is just stupid.
    You bring a lot of baggage to the table, sir. :P

I think the mechanic I described works in the context of Bloodlines. I was posting to ask the community if they think it could translate to Rift, if not then why?

Healing is a problem in PvP but not because one class is OP or anything like that, it think it's more of a pacing issue. This isn't always the case as we all know: a lot of it depends on the class makeup of the warfront.

If you're asking about tastes I would rather the PvP resemble lower tier PvP before the power curve turned skirmishes into AoE / healing conversations. Back then melee was more enjoyable as well.

Back to work, any trolling will not be read until later, have a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludus View Post
    You bring a lot of baggage to the table, sir. :P

I think the mechanic I described works in the context of Bloodlines. I was posting to ask the community if they think it could translate to Rift, if not then why?

Healing is a problem in PvP but not because one class is OP or anything like that, it think it's more of a pacing issue. This isn't always the case as we all know: a lot of it depends on the class makeup of the warfront.

If you're asking about tastes I would rather the PvP resemble lower tier PvP before the power curve turned skirmishes into AoE / healing conversations. Back then melee was more enjoyable as well.

Back to work, any trolling will not be read until later, have a good day!
    Oh, you're one of those; "Anyone who disagrees with me, is trolling people". That's not how debates work, and you know it. So why take such an immature stance to opposition of your ideas? Of course you like the 20-39 Warriors, they are pretty much overpowered during those levels. I remember how powerful my Warrior was, and it was rather pointless, much like my Marksman is now, at 22.

Healing is *only* a problem for people who refuse to work as a team, or those who refuse to make PvP specs.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-22-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Topeka Photography

That wouldn't balance healing, healers are easily dealt with by smart players. It requires use of focusing down one target using cooldowns, and keep another target 'locked up' so to speak with different CCs that do not share a similar diminishing return.

PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

I don't like it because I feel it encourages tunnel-vision gameplay. Like, it's a reward to just keep attacking whoever you tabbed to and ignore other targets. Eventually you will wear out his HP pool and drop him. It also punishes tanks, already the least-played archtype in PvP.

Too many people already treat the tab button like the Voice of God. Whatever it tells them to hit, they *must* kill it at all costs, and if they can't, they must make an aggrieved forum post about it. Listening to those complaints would be a poor decision. Buffing tunnel-vision would remove the strategy of target selection and switching, which is a large chunk of battlefield strategy overall. I am never going to vote for less strategy.

Rift Disciple

Oh, you're one of those; "Anyone who disagrees with me, is trolling people". That's not how debates work, and you know it. So why take such an immature stance to opposition of your ideas? Of course you like the 20-39 Warriors, they are pretty much overpowered during those levels. I remember how powerful my Warrior was, and it was rather pointless, much like my Marksman is now, at 22.

Healing is *only* a problem for people who refuse to work as a team, or those who refuse to make PvP specs.
    well all i can say is you do seem like a "troll" just constant insulting to him and saying he is crying when all that was asked was a question you seem like an enraged little troll that feels the urge to insult anyone that says stuff you dont agree with not much for me to say on the question of this thread just wanted to point out who was the complainer and insulting person here.

just reading forum posts waiting for servers to go back up.

+ Reply to Thread