+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to mark the healers!!

Default How to mark the healers!!

The biggest thing premades have going for them relative to pugs is the ability of the leader of the group to mark healers. You can do the same thing in pugs if you're the leader of the WF raid or if you can get the leader of the raid to pass you leader. It's easier in premades because your teammates will pass you leader everytime.

To pass leader in a WF to someone outside of your group you have to type /leader name. Right clicking in the raid frames and chosing promote will only work if the person is in your group outside of the WF.

If you're leader open up the warfront scoreboard before the start of the match. Look for who the healers are. Clerics are green mages purple. Not all clerics and mages heal of course but if you play enough you'll learn which ones do.

Now for the tricky bit. Type the following as leader replacing healernamex with the names of the healers.
    /tar healername1
    /tar healername2
    /tar healername3
    /tar healername4

Now once the WF starts and you're within 50yrds of the opposing team hit enter then up arrow then alt 1 to mark. Then enter, up, up, alt 2. Enter, up, up, up, alt 3. Enter, up, up, up, up, alt 4.

Wala all the healers are marked within the first 5 seconds of the match and your pug wins.

Ascendant

I'd like to request that the content of this post appear really big on the screen for whoever got leader in a warfront when they first join. Then they have to check an I understand box and click OK.

Haha, except there are some healers I don't *want* people attacking. Survivability specced / full valor / will run if targeted = people just tunnel vision on them and get kited without accomplishing anything.

I probably ought to start marking the low-rank rogues and mages. Maybe have a special number for it lol. 7 or 8 = You can blow this guy up in a GCD, whether or not the healers are still alive. Please do so.

edit: or the damned marksmen that do like 800 DPS but have 4k HP. We seem to have a lot of those running around.
    Last edited by Stay; 06-21-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Ascendant

i'm running a healer's nightmare spec, just about every pug I'm in that marks the healers of the opposing team wins.

Screw all the "you can't see a healer if it doesn't have a number?":
    A) nope
    B) if they have 3 or (gasp) 4 healers, focus is crucial as well as marking the easiest to blow up to be killed first.

One of the common issues with marking is how it becomes a crutch to a person that needs a flotation device.

General Georgie Porgie marks 4 healers on the opposing team in a Codex. He did not see that Healer #1 changed to bait-tank. He did not see that two unmarked players became healers.

So over at Dex, folks are trying to focus #1 and getting nowhere!

It is no different than people that go into a WF with a plan. I've got a plan, man! Going to stick to my plan, win or lose!

People need to adapt. They need to pay attention to what is going on around them. They need to coordinate with their team in an active manner.

It is how premades often have an advantage over PUGs - they have the ability through voice comms to adapt on the fly - relaying information that is current to conflict at hand...

...those in PUGs, have to make do - but they can still adapt - can still pay attention.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

I agree that marking wrong is worse than not marking at all. However, if you're the leader in the WF it's on you to not be stupid with the tool.

I was screaming in /war yesterday at a moron who had insisted on marking the people with the most damage done instead of healers. He had an AoE spamming riftbladd warrior marked as #1. So yeah, definitly agree you can't be stupid with it.

However, there are some guys you know will always be heals. In my battlegroup, girthygabe, healing, lhospital, xentin, etc. You have to be flexible and adapt but it never hurts to give the stupid pugs a nudge on who to target.

Soulwalker

If only we lived in a world where there were competent players who could identify for themselves who is and isn't a healer...then the crutch of having giant floating numbers over peoples heads wouldn't be so depended on... Or the lack of blamed for match losses.

Thanks. I was confused about the leader thing. I thought it just didn't work across shards.

Sometimes your PUG wants to win and sometimes they dont. Generally they'll follow a strong group if they see one. Even without the numbers, you can call out the assists. Obviously you'd try to kill an objective carrier first, then a healer, then a glass cannon. You just have to be able to call and switch targets faster than they can guard and heal assist.

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    One of the common issues with marking is how it becomes a crutch to a person that needs a flotation device.

General Georgie Porgie marks 4 healers on the opposing team in a Codex. He did not see that Healer #1 changed to bait-tank. He did not see that two unmarked players became healers.

So over at Dex, folks are trying to focus #1 and getting nowhere!

It is no different than people that go into a WF with a plan. I've got a plan, man! Going to stick to my plan, win or lose!

People need to adapt. They need to pay attention to what is going on around them. They need to coordinate with their team in an active manner.

It is how premades often have an advantage over PUGs - they have the ability through voice comms to adapt on the fly - relaying information that is current to conflict at hand...

...those in PUGs, have to make do - but they can still adapt - can still pay attention.
    Pretty much what Virus said.

Marking is all well and good, if you can get someone to do it in the first place. However a lot of times (I) people will change spec for better utility or survivability if they are being focused down. So unless the marker is paying a LOT of attention to all these little changes and on the fly adaptations that may be happening, it can do more harm than good.

Honestly it isn't all that hard to spot a healer anyway, even if they run around in cosmetic gear covering up their rank gear, behavior alone gives them away easily most of the time.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Catalysts; 06-21-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    PvE vs PvP gear. Solution: Equal gear, for Equal time invested.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post
    Pretty much what Virus said.

Marking is all well and good, if you can get someone to do it in the first place. However a lot of times (I) people will change spec for better utility or survivability if they are being focused down. So unless the marker is paying a LOT of attention to all these little changes and on the fly adaptations that may be happening, it can do more harm than good.

Honestly it isn't all that hard to spot a healer anyway, even if they run around in cosmetic gear covering up their rank gear, behavior alone gives them away easily most of the time.

Cheers.
    Oh I agree. But it's amazing how often people will target tank warriors instead of healers without the crutch of a mark. I wish I didn't have to play with the baddies but since I do I mark. An yes, if the warden goes senticar you should remove the mark post haste or your team will probably lose.

Quote Originally Posted by DaseinNJ View Post
    Oh I agree. But it's amazing how often people will target tank warriors instead of healers without the crutch of a mark. I wish I didn't have to play with the baddies but since I do I mark. An yes, if the warden goes senticar you should remove the mark post haste or your team will probably lose.
    lol. Hell mate I see them targeting the tank while the healer is standing next to it and IS marked.

You can't patch stupid unfortunatly.

Props to you for being on the ball enough to change the marks around when you notice the changes in specs. I just gave up long ago in looking for marks, or trying to get them placed and just learned how to tell who was a healer at a glance. With the exception of sub-spec'ed chloro's I'm right most of the time.

Trying to get nearly any level of cooperation out of a pug though is like pulling teeth. I rarely try to organize anymore as I got used to the "lol I don't care if we win" responses. When I do give it an attempt, if poeple listen, great, we profit from it. If someone else is trying to lead, and they have a clue, I will follow them if I'm able. If people won't listen, or just want to QQ and stroke epeen all match long, then so be it, I knew what I was getting into when I went into the pug rather than joining with my premade, I will do my best and queue again.

Cheers.
    PvE vs PvP gear. Solution: Equal gear, for Equal time invested.

why are you killing clerics first .... mages and rogues ...... are super squishie. R6 clerics are the last thing in your priority queue.

I mark squishie mages for the pugs first. works well.
    Last edited by Vaine; 06-21-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Vaine View Post
    why are you killing clerics first .... mages and rogues ...... are super squishie. R6 clerics are the last thing in your priority queue.

I mark squishie mages for the pugs first. works well.
    Personally, DPS warriors are pretty high in my queue too. Probably above anything but pyros, SCs, and maybe marksmen. They're just too damn disruptive with the fearbombs and the uncleansable healing debuff and snares. And all the ranged scattering away from them to try to maintain distance. Plus pickups are going to target them anyway because they're in front.

I just preemptively CC their healers if I see any near, or pretend to attack them so they start healing themself instead of their warrior. If that doesn't work, I have to give up and retarget to something squishier. Still worth a shot though, as long as you know when to quit.

Kind of hard to convey all that with marks though lol. At some point you just need competent players who can figure it out on their own. I'd like to say that's why I don't mark - but actually it's because I'm lazy and my keyboard is far away.
    Last edited by Stay; 06-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Thank you for your post. I usually always have to manually mark them and it gets challenging esp. in the heat of battle.

Can we macro them as well? If so, how?

I'm reading the post and i'm not sure if I am doing it right.

Covergirl Diamond
    <-Prophecy->
    Back in Action
    RIP Junlar the Great Cleric. I will cherish our friendship and bond for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by DaseinNJ View Post
    I was screaming in /war yesterday at a moron who had insisted on marking the people with the most damage done instead of healers. He had an AoE spamming riftbladd warrior marked as #1. So yeah, definitly agree you can't be stupid with it.
    This cracks me up. I was in a Whitefall once where some genius insisted against all reason on marking all the pyros instead of the healers. I had a good time laughing at his genius understanding of PvP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast