+ Reply to Thread

Thread: People Hate Skill/Awareness Checks

Rift Disciple

Default People Hate Skill/Awareness Checks

What is true in the education system where classes have become 90% memorization is also true in games.

Most people have tunnel vision and focus only on the thing they are doing while ignoring their surroundings. They like to learn rotations / patterns and stick to them no matter what.

In a WF most people like to go after whoever they are going after or heal whoever they are healing and ignore everything else. They donít want a skill / awareness check that could hurt their playstyle.

This is why we see glass cannons being destroyed in this game. First it was Sab. Sab was a great class and a great awareness check. I never played sab until a few weeks ago so I never played what ppl considered OP, however I was on the receiving end of it many times. Sometimes I maybe *****ed about them in guild chat but really I knew that it was my mistake and that I died because I too fell victim to tunnel vision in that encounter. Sab was always easy to kill and was always a non threat if your team met the skill/awareness check.

Second it was war. A certain spec did seem a little overtuned and wars I knew agreed to this but the nerf was overboard and a little off. Wars are still great when p6 and in a premade (best pvp dps for a good premade by far) but war can be weak before then. War is a class that is with good gear and should be before good gear if correctly balanced a check on awareness of killing the Warriorís pocket healer fast. It is also a check of the good geared Warriorís team to know to heal that warrior and keep him up.

Then came pyro. Pyro had too much dmg mit available and SP scaling was a little high with good gear. They nerfed the dmg mit and pyro became squishy as it should be. Then pyro was in a good spot for a skill/awareness check class. If you are fighting someone and not paying attention to the relatively very low dps pyro building charges and then you get blasted that was your fault. If your team attacked several at a time to allow the pyro on the other team build charge then your team did not meet that check.

I personally always watched for when a pyro had heatwave up or was going to use heatwave soon and when a pyro was fully charged and who he was likely to attack. I also learned the good geared pyros patters and where they liked to go so that I could be waiting for them to kill them fast. This is what I do for the good clerics,wars, mms. Save instants for them, learn their pattern, and watch for when they show any weakness. If you are a tunnel vision player you will never notice these things and you will occasionally fall victim to the several second or near instant death. Since most players donít like skill / awareness checks pyro has been nerfed again and again.

Then there was stormcaller. SC is a check on holding hands and clueless clerics. It is also a great turtle check which is very much needed in these turtle friendly wfs. If your team likes to hold hands then you will die if you donít spread out a bit when a SC comes (or kill the squishy guy if you really want to keep the cluster**** going). Great group awareness check but people hate those. Also, if you are a cleric and you sit there while the SC puts 3 stacks of electrify on you then an ice shear and a long cast big hit move then you are about to die in a few seconds. Great awareness check but people hate that. Now SC will be nerfed for these 2 scenarios. The cleric scenario is still pretty viable, however cloudburst is more forgiving in a situation like this.

This is also a big qq issue with healing clerics. Now there is a prob with the turtling aspect of wf design in this game and how that turtling is helped by clerics but that isnít really a healing cleric issue itself. Healing clerics are ffíable. People donít like to work together though and attack the same target. They also donít like to be aware and think about when or what CC should be placed on the cleric and when burst should be applied. Therefore healing clerics are a great threat in wfs and get a lot of QQ. People might complain about immune but that was more a problem of your crappy teammates!

Also, a properly balanced sin should be a check on ppl who like to go solo in wfs and for teams that arenít paying attention to their mages/clerics and supporting them when necessary. For this reason I would change sin to have more undispellable roots/slows, higher dmg mit, higher consistent dmg BUT much lower burst from hide. That would make sin a great check on these and would make sin worth more outside of CDs as they could still kill within 10-15 seconds due to higher consistent damage and could still be a threat after that target is dead if not focused quickly. A geared sin now is near instant death with cds up but not much after and is really often a waste in a wf.

The red ball was nerfed for similar reasons. The red ball allowed a turtling team to be wiped out if they werenít paying attention and allowed for multiple BGs and codexes and whitefalls where the premade that was winning wasnít paying attention and then got wiped due to lack of awareness. The fix for the red ball should have been to buff it for melee and then that same awareness check would have been there. I made sure to watch who was going for it and who had it and either LOS or kill fast while advising my team. However, most people with their tunnel vision would let the guy get behind them and wipe them all out or huddle up and then get wiped out by aoe.

Also, in PVE this can be seen by the popularity of dps checks (basic rotations), dodging stupid gimmicky mechanics, and healing checks. In great pve games like ff11 the check is more on your awareness and fast CC/kiting etc. However, the recent ďpopularĒ games are all about the gear check and less the skill/awareness check.

I could go on for awhile but this is already far longer than I intended. Iíve mostly stopped posting on these forums since I know this will be read by few and written off as QQ but I was having this discussion with some friends last night and thought Iíd put it out there as it makes me happy to know that I got a good point out whether it was received or not. Also, Iím sure as hell not reading through this again to edit it and I wrote this in just a little over 10 minutes somehow, so I am sure there are many many grammar mistakes etc. and I donít give a flying ****! I have good real life credentials and so just drop your ignorant insults along the writing/grammar/stupidity lines as they are quickly laughed off and take away from a serious thread.

Good read. Pyros and sc (and to a lesser extent MM) are currently what wakes me up during my time in wf and I think such things are needed.

My situational awareness is usually low for the most part (mainly pve) but playing a healer class predominantly for the past 3 years has actually made me a better pvper because everyone wants to kill you.

Rift surprisingly has increased that tremendously during the pyro reign.

Quote Originally Posted by Raika25 View Post

Also, a properly balanced sin should be a check on ppl who like to go solo in wfs and for teams that arenít paying attention to their mages/clerics and supporting them when necessary. For this reason I would change sin to have more undispellable roots/slows, higher dmg mit, higher consistent dmg BUT much lower burst from hide. That would make sin a great check on these and would make sin worth more outside of CDs as they could still kill within 10-15 seconds due to higher consistent damage and could still be a threat after that target is dead if not focused quickly.

The thing is, there are other souls that have the very things you are suggesting.

A geared sin now is near instant death with cds up but not much after and is really often a waste in a wf.

Agree, I hate that I feel less helpful when playing as a SIN as opposed to the MM.

However, the recent ďpopularĒ games are all about the gear check and less the skill/awareness check.

RIFT more so than other games especially at level 50.

/10 Comments added in bold.

Rift Disciple

I realize there is nothing I can accomplish with this thread, but I would like some of the good players out there to think about this and think about when they die to certain classes or lose certain wfs the classes MAY be OP but it may also just be that the class is a check on these things and if you were more aware at the time that class would have been a minimal threat. I try to be aware but when I pvp for a few hour block I know there will be many times where I go tunnel vision and get killed by someone in just a few seconds. I may ***** for a few seconds in gchat or if Iím in my premade on skype but then Iím like ďya I was ****ing stupid there and deserved to dieĒ. I like knowing that if Iím lazy I will get blasted.

I thought rift did a great job early on at this because with planning you could really destroy other teams, however Rift keeps backing off of these checks and going more towards the zerg mentality.

+ Reply to Thread