+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to pvp, but I find something absurd.

Telaran

Default New to pvp, but I find something absurd.

I play a mage. I enjoy playing stormcaller, just because. I am not super great at pvp, but I do ok. Yes, I am a casual pvper.

But one thing strikes me as totally absurd.

Why give a class, such as myself, the ability to slow a melee, when they can just A. teleport to me B. Pull me to them C. Increase their run speed D. Charge E. everything else

My slows are totally pointless. The only way I survive is if I skirt around the OUTSIDE of the battle, sniping off people who are distracted by others. If a melee decides he wants me dead... I'm dead. Nothing I have, no knockbacks, slows or fears (if Im necro/lock) can stop it.

He WILL catch me. And then kill me in 3 seconds flat.

Now, I sometimes get the drop on them, and its funny to drop a 3k crit on their noggin, so I'm not QQing about dying. It happens.

I just find the fact that slows do NOTHING to a melee who wants to kill me a bit absurd.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by dorksied View Post
    I play a mage. I enjoy playing stormcaller, just because. I am not super great at pvp, but I do ok. Yes, I am a casual pvper.

Why give a class, such as myself, the ability to slow a melee, when they can just A. teleport to me B. Pull me to them C. Increase their run speed D. Charge E. everything else

My slows are totally pointless. The only way I survive is if I skirt around the OUTSIDE of the battle, sniping off people who are distracted by others. If a melee decides he wants me dead... I'm dead. Nothing I have, no knockbacks, slows or fears (if Im necro/lock) can stop it.

Now, I sometimes get the drop on them, and its funny to drop a 3k crit on their noggin, so I'm not QQing about dying. It happens.

I just find the fact that slows do NOTHING to a melee who wants to kill me a bit absurd.
    Well, a druid does not have a speed boost or teleport if they go high enough for heal debuff. Warriors have different cooldowns in different trees, the slow helps.. and makes them use those cooldowns,

If you are somehow sugguesting they remove those gap closers, then NOONE would play warriors, as rogues run faster and shoot at range making it stupid easy to kite one without any gap closers. Also Fears help alot.

stick with it mate, mages are often quite successful vs melee. If you get the jump in most cases u can solo any rogue or warrior in dps souls

I find slows have a distinct functionality in stopping people from kiting or running away. Not so much in making melee's completely gimp. I kind of like it that way. After playing so many MMO's where melee classes were worthless in PvP because of CC's, it's refreshing. Just wish warriors were more blanaced with their suvivablity/damage ratios.

Plane Touched

Stormcallers have knockbacks.
    Also, use terrain to your advantage. If you stand on the edge of a cliff like in black garden or codex, then their charges are useless, though they can still pull you down. (you have to stand on the edge or there is a chance they can charge up and will stay instead of falling down)

Watch the direction they are facing. If you see a melee turn to face you he's probably about to charge, try to hit him with a snare and get out of his charge range till he gives up the chase. If he catches you pop your cooldowns and try to survive while getting to your healers or other allies for help.
    You're going to die a lot in PvP, especially at the start. There's no way around it.

Good luck!

Just think of slow an alternative to slow people down when they are far away. I do have to say it is useful from time to time when you have to chase someone.

Covergirl Diamond
    <-Prophecy->
    Back in Action
    RIP Junlar the Great Cleric. I will cherish our friendship and bond for all eternity.

Plane Touched

To give you insight from the other side of it. When I have my cooldowns available, I wait til im CC'd before charging someone and wasting it instead of just gap closing off the bat. It's part of the mini-metagame of CCing. The objective is to get the enemy to waste their cooldowns so you can use yours to their greatest effect.
    Imasu@randomshard

Plane Touched

If all else fails you can bunny hop and annoy the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Argizeos View Post
    If all else fails you can bunny hop and annoy the hell out of them.
    Until 1.3 comes out.
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot. I'm on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dorksied View Post

tbh that the life of a mage. Unless people play them they think we all one shot everything.

If a warrior wants you, he will get you plain and simple.
    Clerics can outheal our dps unless we get a lucky big crit.
    MMs can out range us and Stealth can stun us and kill us in 6 hits.
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Argizeos View Post
    Stormcallers have knockbacks.
    Also, use terrain to your advantage. If you stand on the edge of a cliff like in black garden or codex, then their charges are useless, though they can still pull you down. (you have to stand on the edge or there is a chance they can charge up and will stay instead of falling down)

Watch the direction they are facing. If you see a melee turn to face you he's probably about to charge, try to hit him with a snare and get out of his charge range till he gives up the chase. If he catches you pop your cooldowns and try to survive while getting to your healers or other allies for help.
    You're going to die a lot in PvP, especially at the start. There's no way around it.

Good luck!
    if the warrior has way of the river they don't get knockbacked which 80% of them do.

Its not random port abilities messing you up. Its the the borked CC system they added in 1.2.

1.2 effectively made knockbacks, roots and snares useless. You get 2 then someone becomes immune for 15 seconds. Which in a WF basically means everyone is immune to roots, snares, and knockbacks. So you cant really rely on any of those unless they decide to fix their borked system.

Stormcallers still can be quite sturdy if you know what you are doing. Spec into ele for the ice shield or warlock for the life drain to mana and charge heal. Those combined with the stormcaller sprint and dmg reduction shield will keep you alive.

You also cant be at the front of the fight. I know you need to AOE but you have to do it smart. No one will let you run up in the center of a fight and start AOEing. Come in from the sides so its harder to pick you out. I have great success on my SC. Its all about AoE positioning, combined with Forked Lightning + Charged field.

The knockback shield can be useful as well, but it will only work twice then they become immune to roots snares and knockbacks.

Why they decided to put snares and knockbacks on immunity let alone in the same immunity group is beyond me..
    SixtwoSix
    Level 50 R3 Rogue Tearfall -retired until Transfers.
    Level 31 Mage Briarcliff - Active.

+ Reply to Thread