+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speed: legitimate mechanic or exploit?

Default Speed: legitimate mechanic or exploit?

I have been noticing isolated incidents of players moving at exceptional speed. In some cases, the players move faster than I can, so that even running backwatds and casting/shooting/hurling at me, I just can't get within range, when a few moments earlier we were face to face. The second example is when players move quicker than seems even possible. I know I cannot use my racial speed buff, yet players seem to be moving at that speed or faster for prolonged periods of time.
    and lower
    So what I would like to know is, are there potions, runes or spells enabling this behavior? have some people discovered a cheat/hack/exploit? While I can be talked into believing that the first example may be caused by my slow CPU/Video card/ISP/poor playing skill, etc,. there is no way these excuses hold water for the second example.

Does anyone have any insight they can share? And if these cases (I see one to three each week) are truly forms of cheating, should I be reporting the players to a GM?

PS: I have seen this behavior in all three warfronts available to players level 47 or lower and have experienced this on all Callings except the Cleric on two different servers (in case any of that matters).

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigit View Post
    I have been noticing isolated incidents of players moving at exceptional speed. In some cases, the players move faster than I can, so that even running backwatds and casting/shooting/hurling at me, I just can't get within range, when a few moments earlier we were face to face. The second example is when players move quicker than seems even possible. I know I cannot use my racial speed buff, yet players seem to be moving at that speed or faster for prolonged periods of time.
    and lower
    So what I would like to know is, are there potions, runes or spells enabling this behavior? have some people discovered a cheat/hack/exploit? While I can be talked into believing that the first example may be caused by my slow CPU/Video card/ISP/poor playing skill, etc,. there is no way these excuses hold water for the second example.

Does anyone have any insight they can share? And if these cases (I see one to three each week) are truly forms of cheating, should I be reporting the players to a GM?

PS: I have seen this behavior in all three warfronts available to players level 47 or lower and have experienced this on all Callings except the Cleric on two different servers (in case any of that matters).

Thanks for your time.
    All callings except the cleric have access to at least a 50% run speed buff that lasts varying durations.

Pay closer attention to your enemy's buff bar and see if any of the buffs pop up, also some warfronts have speed boost buffs you can pick up. Keep an eye out, and see if you notice these buffs pop up when someone starts zipping around the map faster than you.

If they don't then ask your raid in the WF if they are seeing it also, and if they can explain it, if no one has anymore idea than you as to how they are doing it, come back and give as clear of a description as possible as to what happend and see if someone here may be able to get to the bottom of it.

More than likely it is just built in speed buffs on 3 of the 4 callings you are seeing, clerics being the only one to my knowledge to not get one.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Catalysts; 06-18-2011 at 06:28 PM.

That's pretty much what rogues do, although most classes can do it. Combine all of the teleports of a riftstalker with mm/bd/bard. There are also obviously the speed balls, speed enhancements you can put on items, and numerous snares to put on someone, making an unsnared person relatively faster.

I suppose an exploit is possible, but most likely it's just part of the game.

If you google around a bit, you will fidn that there are speed/flying hacks for this game like pretty muc hevery other MMO, but Trion is apparently pretty good at keeping them under control as I have never experienced any issues with those types of players. That aside mobility seems a bit too high across the board in this game considering the limitations put on snares/roots.

consumable items of varying levels applied to boots, pots, soul specific abilities, blue ball WF buffs.
    if you're only noticing it now, you cant have been doing WFs in the lower levels

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    consumable items of varying levels applied to boots, pots, soul specific abilities, blue ball WF buffs.
    if you're only noticing it now, you cant have been doing WFs in the lower levels
    Hadn't even thought of the insoles or pots.

So yeah, there are some more likely candidates as to why you're seeing people running faster than you OP.

Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread