+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A PvP Idea (NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE?!!?!)

Default A PvP Idea (NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE?!!?!)

Yep, it's another one of those. Although these forums are littered with different ideas on how to 'fix pvp', I want to offer my two cents on the issue. This is going to be fairly lengthy, if you're interested in just the jist of my idea I have a tl;dr at the bottom of the post that sums it up fairly well.

To really understand why all of these ideas for pvp keep being posted I asked myself "What's wrong with Rift PvP?" I could say balance, because it's a factor. Personally though, I think balance is an ongoing process, not a finish line. The balance right now isn't that great, but I've never really known an MMO to have classes so balanced that people didn't whine and moan, so that's not really the issue.

Is it the gear grind? Not in my opinion. The gear grind in most PvP games revolves around two models. Either seasonable upgrades (Similar to WoW), or one very long grind to the end (Warhammer). I'm sure there are other examples to use, but I've found these to be most common and well fitting for pretty much any pvp gear progression model. Either the grind is fairly short, and the gear is upgraded routinely to 'reset' the grind. Or, the grind is intensely long and is only ever really finished by those who have put an immense amount of time into their character. Rift falls into the second category, although I wouldn't deem the grind immensely long. My guild leader almost has two R6 characters, his main would probably be getting R5 for the third time if his prestige were to reset. My point being, the grind isn't too long or arduous.

So if the problem doesn't lie with the grind or the balance that really only leaves one option in my mind. The pvp itself. PvP takes a lot of different shapes, ranging from ganking and griefing to organized teams fighting to zerg fests in the open world. As of right now we have Warfronts. Like it or not, that is your endgame as a PvPer. Sure, you can go out and gank and believe me, I do love to kill me some red names out in the open. But Sanctum is a hard shell to crack and that's where most of my beloved Guardians tend to reside. Thinking about the variety of PvP available to players is actually pretty gross. It's the equivalent of having to grind the same 4 5man instances, over and over and over and over. Think about that game, would you play it? No raids, no big bad bosses at the end with shinier purples. Just the same instances...over...and over...

Ok, hopefully you've agreed with me at this point, the problem lies with what types of PvP are available to us as players. This isn't really a new concept, it's been talked about since Beta. On to the solution!

I'll cut straight to the chase since this has been long winded. Imagine an entirely new zone. This zone is extremely rich with sourcestone (You know, that stuff that we're always carrying in Scion and WFS. That stuff that all those trees and crabmen want. Yeah, that stuff). Some of the larger shards of sourcestone have had keeps constructed around them to protect and house the valuable material. Aside from the keeps there are other buildings in this zone. These buildings are also important, because they have spirit guides that reside there and act as a closer rez point to certain objectives.

Ok, I've explained the layout, here's where things get fun. The keeps are capturable (obviously) by each faction, and any invaders from the planes (They want that big piece of sourcestone). Owning a keep allows that faction to purchase PvP specific gear from the vendors there. Each keep would offer different rewards, for example. Keep A's vendor sells rings, shoulders and legs, while Keep B's vendor sells weapons and neck pieces. The gear here would require R6 (as it would be better than the R6 gear currently in place) and require currency only obtainable through quests in this zone, looting players in this zone, and capturing objectives in this zone. The zone should also be rich in any gatherable resources, to encourage players to ****ing adventure out from their main cities gates once in a while so I can kill them while they don't expect it (like it should be on a pvp server).

I've never played DAOC, but I hear it was great and those on the forums admit that to the fact that the game had three factions. Rift doesn't have three factions, but it has a very advanced AI that likes to run around and take over stones already. This could really add some flavor to sieges imo. Obviously the invasions would have to be really mean in this zone, you wouldn't want someone to be able to solo them if they're going to be able to take over a castle but still...

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Please respond with any thoughts or opinions about my idea. Either way, hopefully we'll see something soon outside of the 4 warfronts that we have to grind.

tl;dr - A zone devoted to pvp, with keeps and sieges. Owning territory allows a faction to purchase gear specific to that keep. All gear requires R6 and uses it's own currency only obtainable through quests, looting players, and taking objectives from within the zone. The zone also offers an ABUNDANCE of the high end harvesting materials to entice roaming parties to patrol the zone.

I went to click on very cute kitty in a town, I thought maybe they'd be an emote or the cat would meow, instead I murdered it... and looted a Cat Tear...
    This mace was made for swingin'
    So that's just what I'll do
    Pop Rage of the North and **** all over you

Plane Touched

Welcome to Dark Age of Riftalot.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nangasaur View Post
    Welcome to Dark Age of Riftalot.
    That about sums it up.

But I like what the OP is trying to do, I respect the fact that he's actually thinking about it, not just whinging.

This game needs something, so by this point I'm open to any suggestions, even if they are Dark Age of Riftalot.

MMOs these days are feeling more like quick moneygrabs (aka console games) than real MMORPGS.

I mean seriously... who adds the RPG on the end of MMOs anymore? Nobody because that's marketing taboo to be associated with something geeks love. Screw the Dudebros and ******bags. Just give me a world I can explore and enjoy. Rift feels like it was poured into a glass, but at least the glass is half full. It's rapidly becoming empty tho.

Like I said, I haven't played DAOC, all I know about the game is what I've read on these forums. From the sounds of it, I took more than just the attack/defend keep idea. Either way, isn't that kind of what Rift is? Taking the good things out of every other popular MMO and mashing them together?

I went to click on very cute kitty in a town, I thought maybe they'd be an emote or the cat would meow, instead I murdered it... and looted a Cat Tear...

tldr: Wintergrasp

Quote Originally Posted by Morituri View Post
    Heh, thanks for bumping the post and giving me a chance to reply...

Wintergrasp, really?

Lets stand beside the fact that my idea doesn't involve a time based zerg fest

Lets not acknowledge that in my idea there are not
    WEEKLY
    quests to be done out of pure necessity to progress through the ranks of the pvp grind

Let us also not acknowledge the fact that my idea is immensely more fun (being that it is primarily server/player driven) than the cluster**ck known as wintergrasp (TB anyone?)

Finally, let's not consider the fact that maybe, just maybe...Not everything relates to WoW. Get over it. You. Stupid. ***. Fanboy.

On that note, I realize urtorllinbro. But none the less, it gave me a reason to keep my thread at the top of the page. Well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Morituri View Post
    MORITURKEY

Y U SO DUMB

Nice ideas. Even though Warhammer was a buggy, ugly, imbalanced piece of **** I played up to RR66 just because the world pvp and city/keep sieges were so entertaining. Admittedly something should be done to avoid the biggest grievance about the keep sieges, PvD(Players vs. DOOR) and Rift will attract and retain a much more prominent segment of PvPers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayoh View Post
    Heh, thanks for bumping the post and giving me a chance to reply...

Wintergrasp, really?

Lets stand beside the fact that my idea doesn't involve a time based zerg fest

Lets not acknowledge that in my idea there are not
    WEEKLY
    quests to be done out of pure necessity to progress through the ranks of the pvp grind

Let us also not acknowledge the fact that my idea is immensely more fun (being that it is primarily server/player driven) than the cluster**ck known as wintergrasp (TB anyone?)

Finally, let's not consider the fact that maybe, just maybe...Not everything relates to WoW. Get over it. You. Stupid. ***. Fanboy.

On that note, I realize urtorllinbro. But none the less, it gave me a reason to keep my thread at the top of the page. Well done sir!
    I really don't see the need to get all 12 yr old on me. I simply read the tldr version in your original post which basically descibes wintergrasp. I didn't read the body of your text so if there's more to it than what you put in your tldr version then blame yourself.

Punks these days. Jesus.

lol @ WoW and WAR being the examples for gear grind in PvP games.

Having finished reading

Just /signed

But yeah, Trion fails pretty hard at PvP, they underestimated how many PvPers were out there and how important PvP was to maintaining their subscriber base.

+ Reply to Thread