+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVP Achievements Encourage Poor/Incompetent Play

Default PVP Achievements Encourage Poor/Incompetent Play

When creating new achievements for current or future warfronts please consider the ramifications of the objectives before they go live. The Whitefall Steppes's achievements seem to be some of the largest offenders.

For example:

STONE COLD CARRIER KILLER: Kill 5 opposing Sourcestone carriers in a single Whitefall Steppes match. Simple enough minus having to manage the killing blow; however, such an achievement creates a problem. On one hand, you can play Whitefall constantly in hopes of naturally obtaining this achievement through competent play, which may never happen, or, you can sit in base waiting for the opposing team to pick up the flag. The latter is the more optimal route, but it encourages: 1) letting the opposing team pick up the flag and/or 2) allowing teammates to die just so the opposing team picks up the flag so you can get credit for the achievement. Based on the objective and the optimal route for obtaining this achievement it is largely detrimental to proficient play. A simple solution that would ameliorate some of this problem would be to change the achievement to require killing the opposing team around your sourcestone. Admittedly, such an achievement would be easier, but the number of kills required for the achievement could be inflated to match its difficulty (and it would promote more competent play).

LAST SECOND DENIAL: Kill the opposing Sourcestone carrier within 20 meters of the opposing Sourcestone under their control. This achievement shares many of the problematic features of STONE COLD CARRIER KILLER. The optimal method for farming this achievement would be to let the enemy team get the flag while sitting patiently in the enemies base in hopes of snagging the carrier within 20 meters of their Sourcestone. There is nothing about this achievement that promotes competent play and is largely luck-based. An immediate solution/revision to this achievement escapes me, but as suggestions/feedback are not incentivized, I'm okay with that.

There are more offending achievements out there, all of which I've completed. But looking forward to new achievements/warfronts, I hope the next generation of achievements will be better thought out and promote competent play as opposed to gimmicks and bad behavior.

Telaran

Whitefall is the only one I haven't maxed all achievements on. I got Codex commando last night after 1.6 mill favor earned and I didn't even earn it, I went straight to codex and defended it. I assume because it was one of the few times I went in in a party that it was my party members that bugged it when taking and defending vault.

Same thing happened on the achievement where you kill the other sides flag carrier while carrying a flag yourself. I didn't earn that one, game bugged out. I killed the stone carrier about 45 seconds earlier and picked up our stone.

As far as the remaining unachieved ones, honestly I don't care if I ever achieve them. As you stated it doesn't promote game winning play.

Just enjoy it if it comes. Whitefall Isn't much fun lately.

Sez

This is the source of such poor PvP play. This and nothing else.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    This is the source of such poor PvP play. This and nothing else.
    Sarcasm is truly a poor substitute for wit Poor attempts at trolling aside, I am not offering up my contribution as an answer to explain all poor PVP play. I created this post to address something that seemed silly/stupid in a facet of the game's design. I never claimed that achievements were source of poor PVP play and really they are just a small facet of it; however, this behavior will become slightly more common with time. For instance, a rogue in my Whitefall group was berated for remaining in base while our flag was on the other side of the field. His response was he only needed one more kill for his achievement. He didn't complete the achievement that map, so on the next map he engaged in the very same behavior. I can't blame that rogue, I've engaged in this behavior as well because at this point I'm only PVPing for achievements and it's the most effective use of my time. It does not seem to make sense to incentivize poor gameplay regardless how small the incentive. It ranks right up there will the scout+medic achievement in TF2.

+ Reply to Thread