+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric alternative to healing

Rift Disciple

Default Cleric alternative to healing

So i apologize if this thread has already been done recently, but i havent seen anything up to date on it.

I am aware that if i wanted to dps i should have rolled something other than a cleric. However, frequently i find that my group is comprised of 40% healers or more, and we lack the capacity to kill anything. I'd like to be able to make a contribution to killing in the event that my healing is redundant or just....isn't what we need.

So far i have tried every dps soul clerics have and the only one that seems capable of making a real contribution to the team is druid (at level 45). Mostly via the healing reduction and capacity to carry the flag via justicar combo.

However, i understand that all 4 classes have a similar healing reduction and i was wondering which of those classes have their healing reduction in a worthwhile spec. Or, to rephrase, am i likely to be spamming a healing reduction on a target that already has a healing reduction at level 50.

Rift Chaser

The alternative to warden is losing against the other team with 6+ R6 wardens.

Case in point: the current state of the game.

Haha, I loaded into a Codex earlier today and sat at the spawn wathcing the team flesh out. As both sides hit the 10 players mark, I noticed our team had 3 DPS clerics and no healers. At first I requested politely that if they had the gear and spec to support it, it would be nice for the team if one of them could switch to a healing spec. This request was met with taunts and "spec chloro ******" to which I replied that I would if the enemy team had no eradicate spammers. As we all know, that if an entirely unreasonable circumstance to expect considering most WF teams are (conservatively) 50% rogues.

So the horrendous codex drags on without any healers on our team opposed to 2 competent clerics amongst the opposition. I spend most of my time trying to counter these clerics and keep them retrained to healing themselves while my team mates deal with the enemy DPS. This plan unfortunately falls through as even though the clerics are being supressed, the enemy DPS has plowed through ours handily. Just to see if their smack talk was justified I kept an eye on their damage/KBs/healing done throughout the match.

To cut a long,boring codex short we got annihilated, but I still did more damage, had more KBs, and more healing done (from warlock armor alone lol) then all 3 DPS clerics on our team combined. now this is not to say that all or even MOST DPS clerics are going to be as bad as these 3 lads we had the misfortune of acquiring but the point is that even a mediocre/bad healing cleric will do your team a lot more good then a bad DPS cleric if he is able to keep your good DPSers or other good healing clerics alive for just long enough to outlast the enemy rush.

Telaran

I know I mentioned this the other day but I saw a cleric manage 700k damage two matches in a row on Scion. The potential is there, I'm quite jealous I didn't know the potential and diversity of a cleric when I started.

Play what spec you want. I won't lie, I hate losing with clerics in the group that don't heal when nobody else can but in the end it's your call and it sounds like in your wf's there are healing clerics. Just need a little thick skin and don't respond to the immature ones who demand you cater to their needs.

There's a couple ways to go with it - either go full DPS or go hybrid. The full DPS cleric who did 700k damage in scion is a cabalist. It's the AoE spec - your top 5 or 6 best spells are literally *all* AoE. You couldn't do single target damage if you tried. I have a few nice cabalist scion screenshots that I won't post because I don't want to read the flames about how my 500k+ damage is totally useless and I should be healing the guy posting instead. It's not useless, though. 500k damage is 500k damage, no matter what class is doing it. The constant AoE pressure makes things very hard for opposing healers and very easy for your team's focus DPS.

A nice hybrid build is inquisicar - inquisitor and justicar hybrid. It's pretty tanky, has OK dps, and has good self-healing. The trick to this one is that you can keep the enemy's focus target alive even as a hybrid. You just have to *be* the enemy's focus dps target. Like I said, good self heals via vex and justicar doctrines. You also have good AoE heals when necessary.

Both are very effective in the right situations. IMO, often more effective than healing. I use cabalist in AoE heavy maps (scion, black garden) and inquisicar in the others (whitefall, codex). The only people who whine at me to go heals are fresh 50s who don't know their L50 PvPers yet. The experienced players are happy to have me on their team.

Inquisicar - inquisitor and justicar hybrid spec is nice for end 30th 40th already ...

If there are a couple of healers at start of the WF I stay in this spec as it deals nice damage and has some ongoing support healing. And most of the times you can hold a flag against 2+ players (get at least 5 points in templar for detaunt).

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MFvALE View Post
    I know I mentioned this the other day but I saw a cleric manage 700k damage two matches in a row on Scion. The potential is there, I'm quite jealous I didn't know the potential and diversity of a cleric when I started.

Play what spec you want. I won't lie, I hate losing with clerics in the group that don't heal when nobody else can but in the end it's your call and it sounds like in your wf's there are healing clerics. Just need a little thick skin and don't respond to the immature ones who demand you cater to their needs.
    clerics lost the fun in healing at 1.2. This is why you dont see many of them. But then again people are only asking clerics to heal where you can have cloros and bards that really shine. ITs different the heals at total but believe me bards and cloros can be super strong if behind the char there is a person that knows the class. As for scion i have gone 1 mil damage once at bridge fighting all the time no1 carried crystals at that match dunno why. But then again any class can dish out some serious damage if the enemies dont kill it

Plane Touched

Although I suspect the upcoming changes are going to have lots of folks searching around for new specs again.. my main dps build for WF's is that duracell/energizer or w/e its called. I may have changed it a lil, I dont remember so heres the link. Lacks CC in a major way but your burst can be quite high once you get used to it. Highly recommend ya work out the kinks in pve first. Pvp damage dealing is about burst, not really so much sustained. So keep that in mind as you work out a good rotation for yourself.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...Ved0tzshk.Vxkb

The healing one ive found the most success with is:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...E0Ezbszc.VVb0h

Keep in mind though the upcoming changes may cause these to need some rework. Good luck finding something for your play style
    Imasu@randomshard

That's the spec I created at release, but I've revised it some, for more durability. Though I found an even better spec, which is amazing to run along side this spec, if you're running with a Cleric partner. It's a 32 Purifier (surging flames on yourself), 20 Justicar (for defense), 14 Sentinel (for those life based ranged attacks allowing you to build convictions at range. By having Surging Flames on you, each time you use Doctrine of Loyalty you're healing an additional 50% of that, on upto 5 additional players around you. Both spec's together work great, because Sentinel is giving both of you a 26% damage reduction, as long as the Sentinel is healing.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-19-2011 at 04:54 PM.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

Plane Touched

Yeah I run my heal spec as is mainly because the other healers in the WF's ive been in tend to be single target healers or HoT healers. Its complementary to my WF's focus fire stopping healers
    Imasu@randomshard

+ Reply to Thread