+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rotate Battle Groups for Fairness (Only winning 29% of matches)

Telaran

Exclamation Rotate Battle Groups for Fairness (Only winning 29% of matches)

I tracked my Warfronts Wins and Losses over the past 2 weeks on my level 50 rogue playing at all different times of the day. What I concluded is that on my battle group Guardian the side I am on happens to be quite a bit inferior. I am sure this is the opposite on some of the other Battle Groups so I suggest rotating the Battle Groups every Month. This way you will never be stuck in a really weak or really strong battle group.

Here is the data I collected over the past weeks

Black Garden
    Wins --- Losses --- Win Percentage
    11 --- 22 --- 33%
    The Codex
    6 --- 21 --- 22%
    Whitefall
    8 --- 19 --- 30%
    Port Scion
    9 --- 18 --- 33%

Now that's over 100 matches so far to large a sample size to just be bad luck. The Guardians in my battle Group just don't know how to play as well. This is things like not marking the high priority targets as we rarely do or splitting up rather than staying together but for whatever reason there are days where there is simple not enough time to complete a PvP daily.

Gear in PvP. This puts us at a further disadvantage because the Defiants are winning 3 times as much when you factor in that they get almost tripple the favor for the wins it is a lot faster for them to Rank and buy PvP Gear.

Rotating Battle Groups will help even all this out and remove the frustration of having to que 5 or more times just to get a win in The Codex.
    Last edited by Rostan; 06-17-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Better spacing of numbers

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rostan View Post
    I tracked my Warfronts Wins and Losses over the past 2 weeks on my level 50 rogue playing at all different times of the day. What I concluded is that on my battle group Guardian the side I am on happens to be quite a bit inferior. I am sure this is the opposite on some of the other Battle Groups so I suggest rotating the Battle Groups every Month. This way you will never be stuck in a really weak or really strong battle group.

Here is the data I collected over the past weeks

Black Garden
    Wins --- Losses --- Win Percentage
    11 --- 22 --- 33%
    The Codex
    6 --- 21 --- 22%
    Whitefall
    8 --- 19 --- 30%
    Port Scion
    9 --- 18 --- 33%

Now that's over 100 matches so far to large a sample size to just be bad luck. The Guardians in my battle Group just don't know how to play as well. This is things like not marking the high priority targets as we rarely do or splitting up rather than staying together but for whatever reason there are days where there is simple not enough time to complete a PvP daily.

Gear in PvP. This puts us at a further disadvantage because the Defiants are winning 3 times as much when you factor in that they get almost tripple the favor for the wins it is a lot faster for them to Rank and buy PvP Gear.

Rotating Battle Groups will help even all this out and remove the frustration of having to que 5 or more times just to get a win in The Codex.
    Instead of crying to Trion to fix your problems, maybe you could actually gather 4 other people to pvp with, use a free voice chat server, and play as a team. If you are better than most guardians, teach them, work with them.

Not playing well isn't Trion's fault, it's you and your teammates.

Edit - And you aren't entitled to win the daily every day either. It is one of the few things in game that actually requires you to win and not just show up.
    Last edited by Snyrf; 06-17-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Default sounds completely reasonable actually

Short of one massive battlegroup for all shards. Rotating seems to be a reasonable solution that probably only requires config changes on the Trion side to implement. Make it so.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Godless One View Post
    Short of one massive battlegroup for all shards. Rotating seems to be a reasonable solution that probably only requires config changes on the Trion side to implement. Make it so.
    No. Rotating is asking Trion to make things easier because players like the OP are too lazy to take action to help their own situation. His hands aren't going to blow off if he creates his own pvp group or guild, why should he get helped along by changing up his opponents because he loses (by his small section of raw data) 71% of matches he's in?

Does he demand an even 50% rate? Is 40% acceptable? Where are the lines when you start getting in the middle and making decisions like this?

The only way your information gathering would have been a real representation is if the playerbase was also consistent across that timeframe (and from month to month). New players reach 50 every day. People burn out. People start alts, etc. The crop of 50s you see now will not be the crop you see in 1 month because more will be added and some will leave. So why rotate when the people themselves will take care of a natural rotation in players anyway?

Just remember, in PvP as in life, you win some and you lose some. That's really all you can count on.
    Ashrai@Deepwood
    Sporeslinger of <Godlike Awesomeness>

Eks
    Telaran

Default This is a great idea!

I don't care what the OP win/loss ratio is, I think that rotating battlegroups (say once a week) is a great idea!

Players losing during the week would know they will be facing new players in a few days.

Everyone, winning or losing, would be interested to play every Wednesday when the new groupings were announced.

I foresee much smack-talking and lots of challenges when new battlegroups roll into town!

Ascendant

I was happy at the idea of the expanded warfront groups until I went from winning 50% of the time to winning 15% of the time.
    Codex + 1 = Suck on a Gun

I'm not against the idea... however, every month or so, with new 50's, people upgrading, people leaving, etc., it's pretty different anyway.

Z

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

You do get a sense of your opponents & their moves after a while ( and them yours). Would be nice to keep things fresh.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    No. Rotating is asking Trion to make things easier because players like the OP are too lazy to take action to help their own situation. His hands aren't going to blow off if he creates his own pvp group or guild, why should he get helped along by changing up his opponents because he loses (by his small section of raw data) 71% of matches he's in?
    Yes.

Rotating is asking Trion to do something to fix imbalances that are not the fault of the player. Maybe he doesn't want to create his own pvp group or guild-- why should he have to in order to get a win when the other side just needs to show up?

I'm in the same situation, although I would consider 29% win rate to be pretty good. I win maybe 1 in 10. My pug teammates don't even try half the time. And pug is how I play (and how my nearly always victorious opponents play-- its always pugs that are rolling us).

I am not going to find a group (finding a new game where I can pug and have a chance would come first in the list of things to do). It's a game, not a job... I sit down and play when the mood strikes me, not when the rest of my team is online. And I will never do voice chat, ever. And I should not have to.

If you want to play premades, fine, go do it... but those of us who pug should never have to face a premade, nor should we have to form one to even have a snowball's chance in a fire rift of winning.

I wouldn't mind seeing a cluster mix up every week or 4-5 days.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

Telaran

Exclamation The Data is an Accurate Pictute of the Gerneral Population.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrai View Post
    The only way your information gathering would have been a real representation is if the playerbase was also consistent across that timeframe (and from month to month). New players reach 50 every day. People burn out. People start alts, etc. The crop of 50s you see now will not be the crop you see in 1 month because more will be added and some will leave. So why rotate when the people themselves will take care of a natural rotation in players anyway?

Just remember, in PvP as in life, you win some and you lose some. That's really all you can count on.
    Acctually you have that Backwards. Had I PvP'd with the same people it would simple be a test of how well that group plays. By playing with all different people I got general Results across the Battle Group Population.

As far as another poster. This is not asking Trion to make the game easier. If I wanted that I would ask Trion to give the losing team a 5% buff each time they lose to be reset after they get a win. That would ensure after so many loses the other team would have to win they would just be to strong.

I am asking that the Player Pool that is always growing be rotated since there are some Battle Groups with Stronger Defiant Players and others with Stronger Guardians.

Saying that I have to come up with 15 people to PvP with and teach them all how to PvP if I want to win Whitefall for my Daily PvP is ridiculous. I should not have to create my own PvP Guild just to have even wins. I am not complaining about the Pre-Made Teams I am simple asking a simple request that we rotate the Battle Groups. Perhaps you don't want that because your Battle Group is leaning in your Favor and I am not trying to take that away fro you just asking you to share it.

This is an Extremely Fair and Reasonable Request.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrai View Post
    I dunno, losing 80% of your matches to get to r6 is extremely tedious. 20k to r6 (I've lost my way all the way to r5) and it's all I can do to drag myself on to play to finish it. It would probably take me just as long to get all the r6 gear cause losing your way to r6 doesn't net you much favor.

Hoping the pre-made patch changes things but not holding out much hope.
    Celestian, 50: Assassin(51), Faeblight/Guardian
    http://www.greycouncil.US/

+ Reply to Thread