+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: Why PvPers are leaving this game

  1. #1
    Shield of Telara Nerus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    703

    Default Why PvPers are leaving this game

    Ever since WoW ruined MMO's forever, MMO Developers have made the mistake of basing end game content almost entirely around instances and PvE and assuming that PvP players are unreliable, marginal, and just don't matter. The reality couldn't be further from the truth, before WoW ruined the industry PvP players were a very substantial portion of the gaming demographic and MMO's with good PvP often had massive cult followings until age and dated graphics killed them.

    The reason PvPers are migratory in todays MMO market is because the pickings for good PvP MMO's are slim, most of them are old with dated graphics, and none of the newer ones get the funding to be a polished game or the marketing to get a good launch. The reason PvPers are leaving Rift is because we are frequently disrespected, disregarded, and ignored until we all start to leave. We aren't taken very seriously until companies start seeing mass /unsubscriptions from jaded PvPers who are tired of being shortchanged.

    Rift's PvP is copy and paste from WoW, it's great for the Red vs Blue WoW kiddies who's entire lives can revolve around a raid dungeon and a warfront but it's exactly what PvPers hate about WoW.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerus View Post
    MMO's with good PvP often had massive cult followings

    .

    Umm....my guess is more people play games with great end game raiding with PvP, then great PvP with marginal end game. Hence the "cult followings". Companies want the most subscriptions. Period.

  3. #3
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    727

    Default

    These so called "Good PvPers" that I keep hearing about, from what I gather, they want skill based PvP with no gear or weapon modifiers. They want team death matches. They want balanced classes. They want little to no progression, etc. etc.

    I'm pretty sure they all went over to CoD.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalFuzzyDice View Post
    Umm....my guess is more people play games with great end game raiding with PvP, then great PvP with marginal end game. Hence the "cult followings". Companies want the most subscriptions. Period.
    True and false....

    The fact of the matter is a pvp centric game is doomed to fail... the reason is... nobody likes to constantly lose... exp when the stakes are high.

    Perfect exsample... darkfall.... centered around skill based pvp... full loot... you could lose 100's of hours worth of mats in a few seconds.

    Problem is half these people running around saying they want skill based pvp arnt very skilled so then they lose... and since nobody enjoys losing eventualy the bad half of pvpers leave the game.... then the people who won half and lose half of there fights lose the people who they won half there fights agianst and then become the lower half of the pvp bracket... untill they leave as well.

    The only way i could see a pvp centric game being sucessfull is a game where numbers matter and there are high staked pvp objectives

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labais View Post
    True and false....

    The fact of the matter is a pvp centric game is doomed to fail... the reason is... nobody likes to constantly lose... exp when the stakes are high.

    Perfect exsample... darkfall.... centered around skill based pvp... full loot... you could lose 100's of hours worth of mats in a few seconds.

    Problem is half these people running around saying they want skill based pvp arnt very skilled so then they lose... and since nobody enjoys losing eventualy the bad half of pvpers leave the game.... then the people who won half and lose half of there fights lose the people who they won half there fights agianst and then become the lower half of the pvp bracket... untill they leave as well.

    The only way i could see a pvp centric game being sucessfull is a game where numbers matter and there are high staked pvp objectives
    Actually, the reason no one plays darkfall is because darkfall is a crappy game. Not because of full loot. People that sign up for darkfall understand the gameplay dynamics.

    Darkfall's problem is that the actual combat mechanics are horrible, the graphics suck, the company is amateurish at best, the budget is tiny, and the core players are !@#$ing atrocious at life.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Chomag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoli View Post
    These so called "Good PvPers" that I keep hearing about, from what I gather, they want skill based PvP with no gear or weapon modifiers. They want team death matches. They want balanced classes. They want little to no progression, etc. etc.

    I'm pretty sure they all went over to CoD.
    CoD requires skill ?!? :O

    Damn, pointing the crosshair at the other bastard and pressing the left mouse button while holding A or D, must be hard work. Or when camping with a sniper rifle and shoot some guy before he even knows what happened. Tremendous skill.

    Lol, FPS are the least requiring skill games of all.
    Last edited by Chomag; 06-17-2011 at 10:02 AM.

  7. #7
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    CoD requires skill ?!? :O

    Damn, pointing the crosshair at the other bastard and pressing the left mouse button while holding A or D, must be hard work. Or when camping with a sniper rifle and shoot some guy before he even knows what happened. Tremendous skill.

    Lol, FPS are the least requiring skill games of all.
    You are wrong. This is hilarious.

    Good troll though!

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    Actually, the reason no one plays darkfall is because darkfall is a crappy game. Not because of full loot. People that sign up for darkfall understand the gameplay dynamics.

    Darkfall's problem is that the actual combat mechanics are horrible, the graphics suck, the company is amateurish at best, the budget is tiny, and the core players are !@#$ing atrocious at life.
    See it wasn't fun for you because you were probably in the lower half of the bracket or didn't play the game when it first released and nobody had max magic....

    Was such a diverse game i remember our guild had a group of people who just harvested and worked on building the city up and stuff they sucked at pvp but they loved building up there city for protection.

    And then they had there pvpers who well pvpd.... and had a blast defending there city

  9. #9
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    CoD requires skill ?!? :O

    Damn, pointing the crosshair at the other bastard and pressing the left mouse button while holding A or D, must be hard work. Or when camping with a sniper rifle and shoot some guy before he even knows what happened. Tremendous skill.

    Lol, FPS are the least requiring skill games of all.
    That's pretty much all people do in here, hold in the right mouse button while holding A or D, then mash macro hotkeys... yeah, that takes tremendous skill.

    The only difference is more tactics can be used in an MMO based PVP game, but even that is arguable since DR destroys CC, and most skirmishes just turn into zerg fests.

  10. #10
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labais View Post
    See it wasn't fun for you because you were probably in the lower half of the bracket or didn't play the game when it first released and nobody had max magic....

    Was such a diverse game i remember our guild had a group of people who just harvested and worked on building the city up and stuff they sucked at pvp but they loved building up there city for protection.

    And then they had there pvpers who well pvpd.... and had a blast defending there city
    While I am usually all for small studios putting out niche products (Shout-out to Fallen Earth here), Darkfall just wasn't fun. The combat mechanics alone ruined it for me.

    Running around awkwardly swinging weapons like Daggerfall or pew-pewing with a bow was just painful. I'd much rather they stick to a tab-targeting and leave non tab-targeting to gun-based mmos.

  11. #11
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    Running around awkwardly swinging weapons like Daggerfall or pew-pewing with a bow was just painful. I'd much rather they stick to a tab-targeting and leave non tab-targeting to gun-based mmos.
    I gotta agree. I tried Darkfall for a couple of days, I just couldn't get used to the UI or the combat mechanics. It felt like I was playing a game from 1996.

  12. #12
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoli View Post
    I gotta agree. I tried Darkfall for a couple of days, I just couldn't get used to the UI or the combat mechanics. It felt like I was playing a game from 1996.
    Yeah, very 1996.

    Which is a real shame too, part of me just wants to love the hell out of it in principle.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    Yeah, very 1996.

    Which is a real shame too, part of me just wants to love the hell out of it in principle.
    Yeah the concept was bad *** just needed more tweaking and i was an archer myself was sooooo bad ***..... till magic came along and you no longer had to aim with the lvl 100 spells that hit twice as hard

  14. #14
    Isz
    Isz is offline
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    I think its important to remember that threads like this one never actually can say to what extent "real pvpers" are leaving, what qualifies someone as a "pvper" or that anyone has even left recently to warrant yet another thread.

    Basically its a malcontent that is assuming the other "pvpers" all feel like he does. Since there is no thread that talks about how many people are not leaving, this is all really like media sensationalism.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post
    I think its important to remember that threads like this one never actually can say to what extent "real pvpers" are leaving, what qualifies someone as a "pvper" or that anyone has even left recently to warrant yet another thread.

    Basically its a malcontent that is assuming the other "pvpers" all feel like he does. Since there is no thread that talks about how many people are not leaving, this is all really like media sensationalism.
    Id tend to agree since outa the 10 pvp friends i started rift with oonly3 have active accounts and im the only one who still plays

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts