+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Give me a world...

Default Give me a world...

Ever since WoW came out, there hasn't been a good MMO for PvPer's that got the funding and marketing it deserved.

Give me a world for mature PvPers, because we have no where to go. Give me a world where players make and enforce the PvP rules, where going around ganking people carries consequences within the player community. Give me a world where guilds are formed and make alliances or go to war. Give me a world full of spies and intrigue, all players working with and against guilds. Give me a world where Guilds capture or build their own fortresses and cities, and where bandit players roam the woods doing business with whatever guild will tolerate them. Give me world like this that gets the funding it needs to be a polished game, and gets the marketing it needs for a big launch.

That world can never be Rift, but Trion, if you even make a new MMO, such a game would succeed if only it were well polished and well marketed. Such games have been big successes in the past and have made groundbreaking contributions to the genre. The reason WoW was a success was largely due to marketing, videogame tie ins, and Blizzard's reputation with gamers, Rift is obviously copying WoW in an attempt to copy it's success (the big promotion was even "You're not in Azeroth anymore"). The reason this has strategy has failed is because the reasons for WoW's success are not in it's Formula, it's in over a decade of gaming tradition and fanfare which Rift did not have, it simply can not get by on the good graces and fanfare that WoW has.

Rift is a good game as an instance heavy PvE game, but it has failed to live up to it's potential and hype as a PvP game, and it owes much of it's success not to it's formula but to it's marketing and presentation. As your subscriber base shrinks to the point of shard merges over the coming months, and anyone in touch with reality knows that it will after the mass exodus we've already seen and the competition you face on the horizon, I hope that you will take the time to reflect on parting letters of your customers and try to think of new ways you can truly push the envelope for future titles.

- Signed
    Nerus

PS: I'm sticking around awhile to give you a chance before I /unsubscribe, in hopes of seeing some of that cliche and unimaginative Red Team vs Blue Team PvP in Open World after the 1.3 patch

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nerus View Post
    PS: I'm sticking around awhile to give you a chance before I /unsubscribe, in hopes of seeing some of that cliche and unimaginative Red Team vs Blue Team PvP in Open World after the 1.3 patch
    Agreed... but new games coming that look better... at least I think :X

Shadowlander

I loved my UO freeshard, where there were player cities, battles between guilds or even huge wars between races. Where you had your vendors selling things in front of your house. Where people would kill you and take money from you (you could obviously do the same). Where one player, tested and observed by GMs to not abuse his power, could use spells to devastate 10+ enemies at will. Where players could talk to the GMs and start (worldwide) events.

But let's face it. This will never happen again. This was possible, because the playerbase of said games were small and the GMs could control them. Players were more mature, as much as I hate the denouncing of young players. Imagine the WoW-Generation userbase in a game with full-loot, I don't think this could go well. But oh my, I would love to see something like it again.
    Last edited by Marblemoon; 06-16-2011 at 04:58 PM.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-Incoming.html

Closest thing you'll find at the moment. Hardcore server inc, guild wars, guild cities w/ seiges, etc... Should rekindle the game some.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-Incoming.html

Closest thing you'll find at the moment. Hardcore server inc, guild wars, guild cities w/ seiges, etc... Should rekindle the game some.
    The original guild wars was a heavily instanced game with no open world content, is Guild Wars 2 different?

Shadowlander

sounds like your talking about Lineage2. bring on l3!

The original guild wars was a heavily instanced game with no open world content, is Guild Wars 2 different?
    That's a link to the new ruleset for AoC pvp server. Sounds interesting, possibly bring back that feel from the rp-pvp server early game. I might actually resub for it until guildwars 2 comes out. They will have to put some major dev support on those mechanics though, the whole siege system never quite worked right due to bugs and neglect, even though they scrapped a lot of very cool ideas from pre-launch.

I lead a lot of sieges and server battles on that game, it was always a huge headache just dealing with the games shotty coding alone.
    "Never give up and never surrender!"

So, it's just you 57 cops against KUNG FU JOE? Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other shiz you ain't never heard of! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Hehe I'd like to see a new, polished, and heavily marketed game like that. A game that gets the marketing and presentation of Rift. That's probably not going to happen any time soon, but it'd be nice if it did. I could never get into Lineage because it felt like a Korean Grind and there was a bit of a language barrier. I always means to give Conan a chance, but for now I'm planning on holding off for new RPG's.

Plane Touched

We just need a DAOC style game with 3+ factions so that population balance issues are removed from the game. Of course players have been asking for that for years now. A lot of people are hoping that SW:ToR will be the holy grail but I'm putting my faith in Warhammer 40k and am hoping that it will be 3 sided for greater PvP.

I cannot understand why companies just copy what is already out. Rifts is just WoW with a different class system. How is the PvP in Rifts any different then WoW? Granted I quit during Burning Crusade during the beginnings of the arena, but how is WoW PvP any different then Rifts?

Port Scion stinks of Alterac Valley. There are handful of players fighting over the bridge and courtyard PvPing like crazy while you have the rest of players just doing the quests in there and maybe running sourcestones.

Codex is alterac valley all over. Hold the points, click the flags. Rogues stealth guard/cap the out of the way flags which is the same as playing AV all over again.

Whitefall = Warsong. Both have the speedbuffs and everything...

Both of the games have reputations associated with the warfronts for gear. Daily quests for warfronts, grinding favor/honor. It is just silly... I quit WoW because I loathed the PvP in it. Rifts is too much like WoW.

Warhammer had much better warfronts/scenarios/battleground. Battle for Praag. Doomfist Crater, Morkains Temple. Etc.. those were much more fun and fast paced which encouraged PvPing instead of PvEing.

That was a AoC link, not guild wars.

Plane Touched

Ever since WoW came out, there hasn't been a good MMO for PvPer's that got the funding and marketing it deserved.

Give me a world for mature PvPers, because we have no where to go. Give me a world where players make and enforce the PvP rules, where going around ganking people carries consequences within the player community. Give me a world where guilds are formed and make alliances or go to war. Give me a world full of spies and intrigue, all players working with and against guilds. Give me a world where Guilds capture or build their own fortresses and cities, and where bandit players roam the woods doing business with whatever guild will tolerate them. Give me world like this that gets the funding it needs to be a polished game, and gets the marketing it needs for a big launch.

That world can never be Rift, but Trion, if you even make a new MMO, such a game would succeed if only it were well polished and well marketed. Such games have been big successes in the past and have made groundbreaking contributions to the genre. The reason WoW was a success was largely due to marketing, videogame tie ins, and Blizzard's reputation with gamers, Rift is obviously copying WoW in an attempt to copy it's success (the big promotion was even "You're not in Azeroth anymore"). The reason this has strategy has failed is because the reasons for WoW's success are not in it's Formula, it's in over a decade of gaming tradition and fanfare which Rift did not have, it simply can not get by on the good graces and fanfare that WoW has.

Rift is a good game as an instance heavy PvE game, but it has failed to live up to it's potential and hype as a PvP game, and it owes much of it's success not to it's formula but to it's marketing and presentation. As your subscriber base shrinks to the point of shard merges over the coming months, and anyone in touch with reality knows that it will after the mass exodus we've already seen and the competition you face on the horizon, I hope that you will take the time to reflect on parting letters of your customers and try to think of new ways you can truly push the envelope for future titles.

- Signed
    Nerus

We have alot of hope pined on guild wars 2 breaking this mold.
    50 Warrior
    50 Mage
    50 Defiant cleric
    50 rogue
    50 Defiant Mage

+ Reply to Thread