+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will PvP be fixed?

Default Will PvP be fixed?

I'm sure some wargroups and brackets are pretty good, but my wargroup is full of people who just sit around to collect the losing side's favor reward. They don't even try to win. They find a safe hill or an out of the way place and /dance or chat with their friends.

It's super frustrating for me. PvP is the main reason I bought this game. But if people can make adequate Favor without making hardly any contribution, a decent WF experience is doomed. I've found the passionate and fun PvP at lower levels degrades into jaded grinding at higher levels, when people realize it's just not worth the effort to try.

I sure this had been said before, but their has to be some way to tie favor rewards to contribution. Any fix for this on the horizon?

~Neth

Quote Originally Posted by lunatuna View Post
    It's super frustrating for me. PvP is the main reason I bought this game.

~Neth
    Did you not realize this was a PVE based game not pvp.... I think you need to check it again...

My system: i3 3.5ghz processor, Asus GeForce 450 1gig 128bit GDDR5, 2x4GiG Corsair 2000 mem, Samsung B-ray, Coolmaster HEF case, 650PW supply and win 7 64bit Home Proffesional.. Also a few other mods..

I beg to differ. I loved Warhammer for a while, until inherent inbalances at max level made it hard to sustain. When I checked out this game, it reminded me a lot of Warhammer. Actually, if WoW and WAR had a baby...

When Rift is marketed, PvP is a feature they tout. Nearly half the servers are PvP servers. It's possible to level to 50, and then to prestige rank 6 doing only PvP. You may play it for the PvE, but don't assume others don't mainly PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fzeus View Post
    Did you not realize this was a PVE based game not pvp.... I think you need to check it again...
    A lot of people bought this game because it has PvP. Trion knows this and I'm sure they will dedicate a good amount of time to PvP development and balancing. You really think this game would have lasted this long without PvP?
    Last edited by Akui; 06-15-2011 at 09:58 PM.

I don't pay attention to people who do not try to win in warfronts anymore.
    Now, i just look at warfronts for what they are.

A medium for me to go stab (or smash) someone in the face.

Instead of roaming around hostile environments like Stillmoor, Shimmersand or IPP, Trion has given me a button that brings my foe to me. :P
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Pre-50. PUG vs. PUG. No AFKers/Botters.

Warfronts are fun to many. Something they could do over and over for hours on end.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Soulwalker

It's super frustrating for me. PvP is the main reason I bought this game.
    ~Neth

Buy AION, its PvP dedicated

General of Telara Doktor_Ljubavi's Avatar

Did you not realize Trion tooted the horn stating PvP in this game would be awesome? Therefore it is not a PVE based game. A PVE based game is FFXI/FFXIV
    http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv43/Unholiologist/fictionsaysninjaassassin.jpg

I'm sure some wargroups and brackets are pretty good, but my wargroup is full of people who just sit around to collect the losing side's favor reward. They don't even try to win. They find a safe hill or an out of the way place and /dance or chat with their friends.
    Player badness can't be fixed separately for each shard.
    What do you want? +% damage and healing for the player who lose consistently? It's not viable.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Well, I can think of a couple of things.

1. Remove or tweak Achievement rewards so they are more team or winning focused.

I realize that this is more of a low-level concern, but my first WTF moment in Rift warfronts was when I realized people were throwing Codex matches to work on obscure control point achievements. It sets the tone early that it's OK to abuse your PvP teammates.

2. Slant the Favor reward more heavily toward the winning team.

Give people a reason to try harder or not queue at all. Imagine if you could do the same thing in PvE instances and raids that folks are doing in PvP warfronts now. What if your 15-man raid had 3-5 people hanging back chatting? Would you expect to win the encounter? Would you expect a reward 2/3rds as good as what the boss drops when you lose?

3. Add a Kick option to PvP

Ok, even I think this is a bad idea, but there are still times when I'd love to kick someone based on a team vote. Especially when the player has been vocal about not trying/not going to try, saying it's a lost cause when the score is 0/0, etc. I don't believe this can be fairly implemented, but this is a recurring fantasy of mine.

~Neth

Default Hang on a sec here...

Look at it from a developers p.o.v. look at everything that must be accounted for. Balancing pvp can be extremely difficult, so much data and not much time.

Is pvp really that out of balance at lvl 50? I really don't think it is... well ofcourse clerics are hard to kill, but so are warriors in the right soul. Rogues can be just about un-killable if they can show some patience and wait for the right targets. Mages are just hilarious half the time, stand at max range and plant some aoe, along the same lines as an MM rogue.

Trion is almost to the point of nailing pvp, minor changes can effect so much and un-balance the balancing they are trying so hard to achieve. From the looks of it only minor changes are needed to balance.

Trion has to be cautious of every little change made and they are doing an amazing job of that.
    I say way to go Trion! this game is still very young and already it surpasses vanilla wow in almost every aspect.

Keep up the good work, I'm here to stay.
    Oh and buff warriors for pvp... Make Apache invincible, atleast for a week, come on.... just do it

+ Reply to Thread