+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you draw the line on Ganking?

Default Where do you draw the line on Ganking?

Hello -
    Just want to see how you guys feel about ganking. How many times is it acceptable to gank someone?

IE, if a 50 ganked someone 24 times in a matter of one sitting, when the lower level was obviously helpless, and the lower level was not attacking back isn't even 10 times too much? Maybe even 8? I understand ganking is part of the game on a PvP server, and I like them, but I think that a player that is 12 levels below you should maybe be camped at most 10 times?

Not 24.
    /end rant. What are your thoughts on this?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by AshaCatariIsHawt View Post
    Hello -
    Just want to see how you guys feel about ganking. How many times is it acceptable to gank someone?

IE, if a 50 ganked someone 24 times in a matter of one sitting, when the lower level was obviously helpless, and the lower level was not attacking back isn't even 10 times too much? Maybe even 8? I understand ganking is part of the game on a PvP server, and I like them, but I think that a player that is 12 levels below you should maybe be camped at most 10 times?

Not 24.
    It's subjective... call for help or move on to something else.

Ascendant

Personally, I wouldn't hunt someone to kill them more than once or twice....unless the player was fighting back. There is a unwritten "red is dead" rule that exists on the PvP servers....and I have no problem with it, but it's not black and white for me. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

But 24 times. Even on a PvP server that is just Griefing IMO.

Hello -

Not 24.
    Every game has it's unskilled PvP'ers who can only get a kill by ganking. As long as gaming companies continue to let these cowards play, and ruin other people gaming, there will continue to be gankers.

That's why I liked DAoC so much. The world PvP was done at level 50 in special zones, opposing forces could never go to the leveling areas of their enemies.

REAL PvP'ers like fun, challenging, and somewhat fair and balanced PvP. Gankers are not REAL PvP'ers.
    Last edited by Murff; 06-15-2011 at 08:01 AM.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    Thomas Edison

Stop the Beating!

Prophet of Telara

You did have options. But chose to be ganked 24 times. You counted?
    Last edited by -Beck-; 06-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Vydor View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't hunt someone to kill them more than once or twice....unless the player was fighting back. There is a unwritten "red is dead" rule that exists on the PvP servers....and I have no problem with it, but it's not black and white for me. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
    No, that rule is "Red is dead... unless it might be a challenge, then run away and hide."

Levelled two toons to 50 on PvP servers, PvP was basically nonexistent except for absolutely horrible rogues that will macro you when they stealth-gank you at 50% health and fighting four mobs, but have nothing to say when you stomp their faces in immediately after that in a legitimate fight. Then they go and hide until they see they next fight they can't possibly lose.

Similarly: People that ride right past you when it's 1v1, but are quick to start a fight when they've got a buddy and it's 2v1.

Advice to you, OP: Re-roll on a PvE server. PvP servers are for neckbeards that want to feel e-powerful after getting stuffed in lockers all day.

Ascendant

Of course you will feel that way...but Trion does not recognize it as griefing. All I could suggest is to plan your revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by -Beck- View Post
    You did have options. But chose to be ganked 24 times. You counted?
    lol I was thinking this myself

Rift Disciple

I don't draw the line by the amount of times I gank and corpse camp a player, I just stop when I get bored or tired of it and had my "fix".

You see... most people, like me, gank to relieve stress. It's fun being a bad guy and just annoying the hell out of other people! Hey! They created a PVP server system allowing us to gank, so I'm gonna do it! The best is when Blizzard implemented character server transfers so I could pay $25 to send my rogue from a PVE server to a PVP server! THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN!

I could gank lowbies for 30 straight minutes, and I fed on their /spit and /slap emote tears!

And I don't care! You wanna start on a PVP server, then suffer the consequences! There is no limit! I'll gank you 100 times for all I care... but like I wrote above, once my "fix" has been satisfied, I'll logoff and go back to my PVE server. Some say I'm a coward... LMAO... I just call it "Taking advantage of the system". >

Either the devs remove PVP servers or the players should not rant or QQ about it. It's working as intended! Heck, only once in my months of lowbie player ganking has a Blizzard GM ever whispered me, asking me to "not abuse the liberty of world PVP on a PVP server" or something like that. His warning was too vague, so I just continued. The worst that will happen is a 24 hour ban and it has NEVER happened! Which is proof that Blizzard supported ganking and I bet Trion supports it too or else they would of never created PVP Shards for their game!

If I get ganked, I go back and try to gank the person who killed me. If I lose again, then I leave the area, as it's pointless to keep losing against a ganker and give them the pleasure of cheap victories every time.

The real question is why you stayed in the same area to let the guy gank you 24 times. You clearly had plenty of chances to move away.

Soulwalker

Default Ganking Limit

I was repeatedly ganked by 3 level 50s when I would response at the resurrection area. When I yelled to them their response was "This is a PvP server". I'm sorry but 3 level 50s on one lower level player is NOT PvP. I think there should be a daily limit for ganking and at very least a limit per player ganked.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    No, that rule is "Red is dead... unless it might be a challenge, then run away and hide."

Levelled two toons to 50 on PvP servers, PvP was basically nonexistent except for absolutely horrible rogues that will macro you when they stealth-gank you at 50% health and fighting four mobs, but have nothing to say when you stomp their faces in immediately after that in a legitimate fight. Then they go and hide until they see they next fight they can't possibly lose.

Similarly: People that ride right past you when it's 1v1, but are quick to start a fight when they've got a buddy and it's 2v1.
    Yup, there is a LOT of that. I found a good mix on my server, I guess anecdotal mileage will vary. In the end for me, being on a PvP server has added more flavor and interest to the game...I cannot imagine just killing AI mobs all the time.

Anyhoo. I do get your point....there are a lot of turds out there.

Plane Walker

Not on a PvP shard, but my general rule of thumb in other games is 2-3 times is enough, unless they have some particular history of @$$hattery themselves. And if your ganking people who are significantly weaker than you, there isn't even a shred of sport in it, quit being a ****.

Case in point with Rift's PvP scale, if your an R6 and your camping someone in the 44-47 level range, you are just being a ****. If someone has gone out of their way to provoke you or has been a **** in their own right in the past, however, I'd call them fair game irregardless of level.
    ~ Cameela ~
    50 Rogue - Rank 40
    Officer of <Dark Horizon>
    GP 4/4 - DH 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 4/4 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - ID 4/8
    Byriel

Rift Chaser

It depends. If I hate someone, I'll gank them until they want to /wrist themselves.

If they're a level 50 ganking players in a level 20 zone, I'll camp them until they log off and send me tells that I screenshot and place in my folder labelled: LoL.

Normally, I don't camp anyone if I randomly gank someone. Hell, half the time or more, I don't even randomly gank someone, as my random bloodlust is relatively low at this point in the game.

I think my record for camping was in World of Warcraft, where I camped this poor druid for almost three hours straight (and in WoW, you have a 2 min res timer after being killed enough). It didn't help the poor guy that I was camping him right next to the spirit resser, so he couldn't even take that path. This was, sadly, before we could create characters of both factions on the same server, so I unfortunately lost out on some potentially golden screenshots for the "LoL" folder. In my defense, this druid was pretty much the biggest schmuck I've ever met in my entire life.

I've never simply camped someone for no reason. That said, hey, if someone wants to do so, that's their prerogative, and there are plenty of ways out of it in this game, unlike some others.

My only other targets I tend to camp a bit are players who come in to help someone who tried to gank me, failed miserably, and is getting their arse kicked. I call this the counter gank, and it makes me laugh when another red shows up and probably thinks they are doing a good deed by helping their fellow red against me, the "ganker". I realize it's an easy mistake to make, but I make sure they feel the repercussions, if at all possible.

All that said, it's not like I'm going to attack anything red indiscriminately. The whole "red is dead" mentality is incredibly simplistic. To me, a pvp server gives you the freedom to choose whether or not to kill someone. Choice being the key word. I'm just as likely to help some poor struggling red who bit off more than they can chew as I ride past as I am to pop them. Really just depends on my mood more than anything else I suppose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast