+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why are we punished for using our PvP soul?

Shield of Telara

Default Why are we punished for using our PvP soul?

Besides Rogues, pretty much all the PvP trees put you at a significant disadvantage to spec into them (points better off spent elsewhere)

Wouldn't it make more sense to redesign this soul and always have it equiped as a 4th, and you could slowly slowly earn points in it (every so much prestige/kills you earn so many points) or just use the current ranking system?

Make it give GOOD passives and active abilities, and organize it into different trees / branches so that points are not wasted in something you don't want to do.

For every soul spec you have, you should be able to reset the points in this one as well. PvP points, let us call them.

Instead of having 30% valor, maybe have 15% valor and alow the rest to be specced into via the PvP tree. You should also be able to spec into more damage if you wish (but this would not allow you to easily spec defensively effectively either without losing utility)

In the current state, most PvP souls are a waste of points beyond 0 outside niche uses ... In the future something needs to be done to correct this broken system as with the current large ammount of valor, no one has any reason to spec into their tree (besides rogues and mages)

Shield of Telara

I might add the system should allow the combination of PvP gear and Defensive specing in PvP soul from rank 1 to allow you to have the same damage reduction available to a rank6.

So 15% reduction from the tree base and 15% reduction from crafted / rank 1 valor gear.

Instead of making the damage increase the base ability in the tree, make it closer to the middle top and require you to not spec in the defensive tree to get it.

IMO a system like this would be much more fresh 50 friendly as well as balancing things at high ranks allowing players to specialize in offense or defense, and allowing them when supported by their team to do higher damage while being more squishey.
    Last edited by Sundial; 06-15-2011 at 07:07 AM.

I've thought about this a ton, and think its a viable solution.

It would enable more diversity in builds as well, and grey out certain "PVE" or "PVP" specs, making plenty of them viable for both situations.

While the Rift soul tree and different roles are far superior to the spec system in Warhammer, the PVP tree in that game was actually done correctly.
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

Quote Originally Posted by Sundial View Post
    Besides Rogues and mages, pretty much all the PvP trees put you at a significant disadvantage to spec into them (points better off spent elsewhere)

Fixed that for you .... although the defensive warrior is ridiculously OP at the moment.
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

Besides Rogues, pretty much all the PvP trees put you at a significant disadvantage to spec into them (points better off spent elsewhere).../snip
    Oh really? Even Rogues want Archmage.

Templar and Vindicator...yes, that heavy mixture of tears and laughter.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Rift Master

Besides Rogues, pretty much all the PvP trees put you at a significant disadvantage to spec into them (points better off spent elsewhere)

Wouldn't it make more sense to redesign this soul and always have it equiped as a 4th, and you could slowly slowly earn points in it (every so much prestige/kills you earn so many points) or just use the current ranking system?

Make it give GOOD passives and active abilities, and organize it into different trees / branches so that points are not wasted in something you don't want to do.

For every soul spec you have, you should be able to reset the points in this one as well. PvP points, let us call them.

Instead of having 30% valor, maybe have 15% valor and alow the rest to be specced into via the PvP tree. You should also be able to spec into more damage if you wish (but this would not allow you to easily spec defensively effectively either without losing utility)

In the current state, most PvP souls are a waste of points beyond 0 outside niche uses ... In the future something needs to be done to correct this broken system as with the current large ammount of valor, no one has any reason to spec into their tree (besides rogues and mages)
    I agree, or make a pvp system similar to daoc. They would need to completely rework the pvp souls, so i dont see it happening though. Also the hardcore pve players would rage beyond belief that they would "need" to pvp to get these stat increases. However i think segregating pve and pvp is a terrible idea. PvPers need to PvE to get the best weapons, so why shouldnt PvE players have to PvP to get these stat increases or abilities.

Either way, the pvp reward system needs to be reconsidered. Cuz rank 6 players with full rank6 gear feel like they are achieving nothing(other than the enjoyment of pvping, but even that becomes dull when theres nothing to work towards), while PvE players constantly are getting new content and new raids/gear to obtain. I would totally be ok with them removing all pvp gear if they did this(Im R6 with full gear), or leaving it considerably worse than pve gear(and remove valor). Earning realm ranks and getting new realm abilities in daoc was a great reward for PvPing, and it wasnt something that Ended in a couple months with no way to further improve your character.

I personally liked the idea of PvEing for gear, even though I enjoy PvP so much more. I think this whole segregating pve and pvp has ruined the full mmo experience.
    Last edited by Nooblet; 06-15-2011 at 07:14 AM.

It's a great idea. You can find some further discussion below. I can't see them disregarding this, it's just to clear to pass it up.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...r.-Hear-me-out.

Shield of Telara

Mods please close this thread I didn't see Visions already made one

Mods please close this thread I didn't see Visions already made one
    NO! DON'T FEED VISIONS' EGO!

Lol, jk... c'mon, these are forums - we need a bunch of threads discussing similar things. You can agree with X in one and disagree with X in the other - it is entertaining...

...given the shards are going to be down around another 30 minutes - er, 25 minutes.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Rift Chaser

It is something of a mystery why the PvP soul sucks except for one talent that you get automatically. Especially since break-away actually works in raids and dungeons too.

Rift Master

Don't freakin' touch my Archmage soul.

it takes 21 points to get the end talent in a pvp soul .....
    in that 21 points you lose so many other abliities it makes the pvp worthless imo.

Hence why i never use it . cep for break free with zero points in the tree .

21 Points in ANY other soul can negate what you would gain from the PVP soul less break free for clerics . Would lve to see a seperate point system for the soul , maybe even by buying points via favor to use in it .

Frul

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblet View Post
    Earning realm ranks and getting new realm abilities in daoc was a great reward for PvPing, and it wasnt something that Ended in a couple months with no way to further improve your character.
    yes yes yes yes yes. I miss my RR7 lvl 50 shammy sooooo much

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoyi View Post
    it takes 21 points to get the end talent in a pvp soul .....
    in that 21 points you lose so many other abliities it makes the pvp worthless imo.

Hence why i never use it . cep for break free with zero points in the tree .

21 Points in ANY other soul can negate what you would gain from the PVP soul less break free for clerics . Would lve to see a seperate point system for the soul , maybe even by buying points via favor to use in it .

Frul
    On my cleric, I'd rather have my 1k absorb shield (0 point in the Purifier tree) than break free, so I don't even run the damn pvp soul. I am all for a separate pvp ranking/leveling/etc system, especially since the xp bar just says "max" once you ding 50. I NEED to constantly make numbers bigger, isn't that what MMO's are all about? ;)

+ Reply to Thread