+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does it mean to be a "good" MM

Default What does it mean to be a "good" MM

All over the forums i am reading posts saying that a good MM can kill a cleric 1v1. A good MM can burst down any mage in 3-5 seconds. So, what does it mean to be a good MM ? To be able to kill clerics 1v1 or burst down enemies in 5 seconds ? Or assist taking down a tank/healer carrying the fang/shard in wfs ? Is it possible for a MM to take down a healer 1v1 without healing debuffs or eradicate ? I think for myself as the average MM ( not a pro but not a bad one either ) but i still can't kill a healer 1v1 and i seem to underestimate eradicate so i'm not going further than 40 points in MM. Is this ability so good ? My fastest burst kill ever was 6-7 seconds on a mage (i am fresh 50 with pr1 gear (198 valor) and he had 4,5k health so i think he was pr1/pr2 maybe) So, my question in short is - what is your definiion of a good MM and what do you think is the MM's role in wfs ?
    Also aside from that, i have one question. If you were to choose what would you take :
    20 % more damage ( passive ) or 50 % reduction to all stuns,roots and snares ?

The MM's that give me trouble as a Chloro are not necessarily the forum-bred "Eradicate spammers", but rather the ones that use Eradicate at the right time (Clear my Lifegiving Veils, Neddra's Essence, etc), but use their short CD's in between to dish out significant damage.

Also, a major part that some seem to forget is Deaden. It's a pretty amazing ability to be able to silence a target for 5s, barring DR mucking it up (still interrupts).

Also, whatever that poison is that increases cast time is a pain. Seems like every time I clear it and start a cast, it's right back on!

Either way, I don't think this is due to MM being too strong. I think it's just a learning curve. MM's are very good against casters, especially Cloth. Just how the game goes.

Telaran

Usually talking about being good is a point of view. Cant take most at face value and it usually ends up being somebody in Prestige 5/6 gear gloating over a newb 50 easy kill.
    We all know gear at 50 is the X-factor and trumps skill every time.

Anyways as i play both cleric and Rogue I can say from a MM point of view, being a R3/4 Cleric:
    what usually gets me is
    --MM is moving so damn fast. All the time and it isnt just from quick shot buff, i think it is Hasty Depart and either on the double and/or sprint from BD (at times) then they hit you at range and keep it with repelling shot and Retreat.

--Stuns! Get that MM with Sin and paralyze strike, retreat, improved hit-n-run, empowered shot x3, bull's eye & Dead eye.

--Eradicate? I see it now and then with Scion fights. dont see it much elsewhere, but it strips warden buffs and eventually your other buffs if you arent paying attention.

Mostly if i have a 20s respawn i will check combat log and see that it was 2 MM hitting me or a sab had hit me and didnt know it was a 2-3 focusing. I see it this way most time and is not a de-facto operation.

The only GOOD MM

Is a dead MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    The only GOOD MM

Is a dead MM.
    ^ /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Rift Master

Lightbulb

Hi, i play a r6 MM for group play in WFs. A few tricks/tips that might help you accomplish what you are after...

-Pick up Eradicate. If you dont know your enemy and their buffs that well, you wont be able to use this ability quite as effectively, but it is essential to any smart MM who wants to be able to "burst down" players as you said. Chloro pops 80% dmg reduction and HP increase? Eradicate, and bam you are back in business. See that carrier specced Riftstalker running with the flag in WS? Eradicate his buffs, his speed, and his active defensives (BD dodge, etc). See that nasty MM that keeps killing you so fast? Eradicate his poisons, and his improved hit and run , then proceed to rip him down to +16 favor.

-Dont be stingy on your own cooldowns. Learn to use abilities like improved hit and run + bulls eye on the right targets, and dont be afraid that you are going to "waste them" . They are on relatively short cds, and really are borderline OP vs certain classes. (You see that mediocre pyro? Eradicate once while running into range, then Improved hit and run + 3x Empowered shot + 1 bulls eye + deadeye finisher and you have a dead Pyro).

-Spec for damage and keep your passives up: This is a playstyle choice, but since you asked about bursting classes down, you need to spec for damage. Whatever sub spec you take to 44 or 51 MM go for the abilities that will increase your damage. (examples are Nightblade passives, Ranger actives (such as headshot +5%, etc). Make sure you drop your Pedestal (whichever level) whenever you can (the new 15 seconds after you move off the pedestal is great). Using these kinds of builds/passives will help you to maintain/increase your damage, especially for those times when you are looking to burst down a target.

Ok, i wasnt really planning on writing so much, but hopefully those couple tips helped. Really good MMs are the product of practice and experiementation. Learn what rotations work best with your playstyle and against which classes.

Good luck!
    Lewk- Prestige Rank 50 Rogue of Sunrest

Rift Disciple

Make sure to hit the spacebar as fast as possible. While your busy doing that, roll your face accross the keyboard.

What does it mean to be a "good" MM
    Spam eradicate on any target being focused healed.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    All over the forums i am reading posts saying that a good MM can kill a cleric 1v1. A good MM can burst down any mage in 3-5 seconds. So, what does it mean to be a good MM ? To be able to kill clerics 1v1 or burst down enemies in 5 seconds ? Or assist taking down a tank/healer carrying the fang/shard in wfs ? Is it possible for a MM to take down a healer 1v1 without healing debuffs or eradicate ? I think for myself as the average MM ( not a pro but not a bad one either ) but i still can't kill a healer 1v1 and i seem to underestimate eradicate so i'm not going further than 40 points in MM. Is this ability so good ? My fastest burst kill ever was 6-7 seconds on a mage (i am fresh 50 with pr1 gear (198 valor) and he had 4,5k health so i think he was pr1/pr2 maybe) So, my question in short is - what is your definiion of a good MM and what do you think is the MM's role in wfs ?
    Also aside from that, i have one question. If you were to choose what would you take :
    Well MM got alot burst when we have our cds but after that well its somewhat annoying to try kill someone. I think ur role is to kill ppl and ofc assist killing clerics using eradicate not just spamp but use it right time. Also interrupt etc. And i would take 20% more dmg. Ye stun reduction is nice but usually i have my break free rdy. Also while ur gear isnt rank 5-6 u find hard to do dmg on some classes like clerics / warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    You would take 20% damage. MM has a LOT of ways to break free & stay at range. To be perfectly honest, you're not going to be a WF game changer as a fresh 50. You shouldn't expect to kill healers while you are lesser geared. You goal at this point is to build gear. Once you hit P4, grab the weapons as they will make quite a difference unless you have a similar pve weapon. And if you can kill a decent & decently geared healer without eradicate then I want to shake your hand.

Also read this thread http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...VP-1.2-Edition! if you need basic advice.

22 assassin/44 marksman/ 0 pvpsoul

Pick the assassin talents that buff MM directly. No puncture, no backstab, no advanced flanking. Blind powder is needed. Get foul play and Improved invis as well.

You get insane burst from opening from stealth with paralyzing strikes because of:

Cloak and dagger talent = 15% dmg boost out of stealth
    25% attack power boost from crit
    10% dmg boost from crit (cruel vengeance)
    10% marksman ped

Thats a clean 60% dmg boost just from opening on someone. In port scion i used this build to intercept the Stone runners.

Paralyze strike
    Improved hit and run
    Empowered
    Bulls eye
    Deadeye

Dead anyone.

Reload.

Repeat.

Do every 3 minutes until you see people scream at you with rage.

Laugh.

Repeat.

Against another marksman you will want to Blind powder them and cleanse there Improved hit and run with eradicate. Then pop your own and kill them. That will really be your only trouble fight, vs another marksman. Use eradicate.

K thx.
    SixtwoSix
    Level 50 R3 Rogue Tearfall -retired until Transfers.
    Level 31 Mage Briarcliff - Active.

+ Reply to Thread