+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just because the WoW forums are now... blue, doesn't mean I'm not in Azeroth anymore

Default Just because the WoW forums are now... blue, doesn't mean I'm not in Azeroth anymore

I think it's safe to say that you determine success in a PvP game, by the lack of complaints about it in the forums. I just randomly checked out some forums, here are today's posts, go see for yourselves!

Aion: "Best PvP Hat?" being the first topic on the PvP forums in Aion. PvP fashion? Hillarious. Oh, and zero class balance complaints, 1 suggestion about a change for a level span between teams in a PvP instance http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2680/pvpa.jpg

WoW: "Mages have ruined it" "healers are OP" "rogue = win (too much CC crap)" "really Blizzard? REALLY?!" "Yes they are OP!!! Or, are they?"
    This is just the first page of the Arena forums today.
    http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2074/pvp2w.jpg

Trion decided to copy a game's PvP setup that is still riddled with complaints half a decade later? And as you can see from WoW, 6 years later, THE COMPLAINTS NEVER STOP, nerf after nerf, patch after patch. Aion's seems rather... peaceful in comparison. And I still play it and our server is highly populated. I could have mentioned many other games here, but I'm just picking one that is still very popular, I could have said GW, or DaOC, etc...

just because the WoW forums are now... blue, doesn't mean I'm not in Azeroth anymore

So stop catering to the people on the forums, and leave your game alone. Stick by your guns!

Since I referenced Aion, and could pick from many other games out there, it's interesting to note that NCSoft is led by asians, who pretty much say 'f*ck you, play the game we made, if you don't like it, tough"
    Last edited by Menaace; 06-14-2011 at 09:07 AM.

I'll make sure to look very closely at the PvP-forum-complaints breakdown section in the annual earnings report of any gaming company I'm considering investing in.

Oh wait, there isn't one.

Wonder why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    I'll make sure to look very closely at the PvP-forum-complaints breakdown section in the annual earnings report of any gaming company I'm considering investing in.

Oh wait, there isn't one.

Wonder why that is?
    You are better to invest your money in waffles than a game company.

It would be fun if companies did measure success by number of forum complaints, though. You'd have insider trading, where employees would make forum accounts and try to get positive threads going. And you'd have industrial espionage, with employees of rival game companies trolling ruthlessly. Probably some creative accounting too - "nerf-brand toys were a delightful and fondly-remembered part of our childhoods, we're going to count every thread about nerf and nerfing as positive feedback."

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    You are better to invest your money in waffles than a game company.
    Waffles blah Crepes is where its at nowadays
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlebox View Post
    if i can't be happy no one can be happy!!!!!!!1111
    Quote Originally Posted by Gualtiero View Post
    It takes to long to clear trash and the boss is too hard! Nerf the whole raid!
    The dude playing that warrior is better than me! Nerf his whole class!
    The OP types the truth! Nerf his keyboard!
    Ladyfae Def Cleric R40 Bidnis Def Warrior R19 Shortdawg Guard Rogue R7

Prophet of Telara

You're premise is incorrect. The playerbase as a whole is trending towards whiny *****es so you're obviously going to have more *****es whining. This is the new standard, people complain about anything that doesn't overtly cater to them.

The OP is misleading. People have a tendency to complain all over the forums, not just in one place. In Aion I've noticed (having spent a ton of time in those forums when I used to play), that people don't post in the PvP forums all that much. There are a ton of balance complaints in the class specific forums, General forums, even the individual server forums. The difference is NCSoft only listens to their Korean playerbase and the game is supposed to be balanced around group PvP, so any NA/EU players that want to 1v1 and complain that certain classes suck 1v1 (which in Aion is very true), NCSoft doesn't care. Players just resort to playing those sucky classes in groups only which is what the game was designed for anyway. But there is certainly no lack of complaints on the subject.

People complained about the Rift system in Aion in terms of PvP stuff that certain players didn't like and that system has been changed a lot. People complained Assasins for example were OP and they got nerfed for a while, people complained, and I think they've recently buffed them again. People complain about server faction balance which affects the entire PvP system and that's an ongoing problem. I could go on. So Aion is no different.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 06-14-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Rift Master

You do realize no one in NA/EU complains about Aion because no one in NA/EU actually plays it anymore? It's down to like 4 servers, 2 of which are dead.

I'd say that an MMO's PvP is judged instead by the diversity of complaints. As long as everyone is complaining about everyone else, PvP balance has been achieved.

In Rift, balance isn't a big deal because all classes suck at Rank 1-2, and become godly at Rank 5-6. That's what happens when gear makes up 90% of your character... the skills are just for show.
    Last edited by Lysander Salavone; 06-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBidnis View Post
    Waffles blah Crepes is where its at nowadays

Pancakes are the real deal. Crepe's are French amirite?

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by BobtheDog View Post
    Pancakes are the real deal. Crepe's are French amirite?
    We call them Freedom-cakes now.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Telaran

Default Strategy

Wow could have been balanced in year 1. However, it was not.

The reason is strategy. Maintain class balance within reasonable levels - every so often, release patch notes indicating certain changes - watch how interested players are kept with all the changes.

Change brings the appearance of "new". WoW knows this. And it's quite obvious that all the balancing and class changes have very little to do with any quest to "try obtain the perfect balance" in the game, and everything to do with the fact that they are just changes. The playerbase, perhaps unknowingly, will be interested in the changes (especially if it affects your class).

This continued creation of interest resulting from "changes to balance" etc, are to create nothing more than interest.

Blizzard can balance the game perfectly - the amount of brains behind the game are easily capable of doing this. But they know how boring it would that be to not release patch notes almost daily. The playerbase has come to expect these changes, and without them, WoW would feel like it's missing something.

Change = creating interest. Interest = playing longer. Strategy.
    Last edited by Redjuice; 06-14-2011 at 11:06 AM.

LOL coming from someone that played aion from beta til rift came out believe me when I say they have done more stupid things then you can imagine and the game is dead right now which may be the reason you aren't seeing anything on the forums. I loved PvP in aion it was fun just hated the way the company ran it, "hey there is some serious issues with race balance and other bugs" Aion- " Oh really? ok we are on it here's some pretty clothes, pets and funny little hats! Oh yea and now the giant piano stays in your main city huh!! did we fix it or what?!"

they are just as bad believe me.
    PvP!!!
    Trion-WARRIOR
    We’re generally happy with the current state of Warriors and are continuing to monitor a number of smaller issues involving them.
    Waterheads....

+ Reply to Thread