+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why So Serious?

Default Why So Serious?

After trying to read through page after page of mostly incoherent and poorly written complaints about the coming patch in regards to PvP, i was left with a bad taste in my mouth concerning the playerbase in general.

Mind you, I dont intend to quit PvP or PvE any time soon.

The arguments on both sides are pretty much the same in every post:

PvPer: "Waaah! PvE weapons are so OP and I dont want to raid to get them."
    PvEer: "Waaah! PvE is harder so suck it up PvPers Waaah!"

In the end, I have to side with the PvE crowd simply because PvP in Rift is NOT the primary focus of the game. The PvP crowd can yell and moan and scream but the reality is that PvP is truly meant as a diversion from the PvE aspect for people who like to do both PvP and PvE. PvP in Rift is a hell of alot more fun than PvP was in WoW due to the imbalances that exist at the moment. The more those imbalances get nerfed and the more each class starts to resemble the others in PvP as far as abilities are concerned the less fun the game will end up. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE RIFT PVP BECOME WOW PVP.

To get back on track with my original intent for this post, 1.3 weapons will not be a deal breaker for PvPers in general simply because so few people actually have the weapons in the first place. Sure you may occasionally run into a P6 Warrior rocking the 2H Axe from Alsbeth from time to time...but the reality is that this scenario is not the norm. So if thats the case what is the odds of running into that same nightmare scenario before the next patch that institutes P7 weapons in a couple months. The doom and gloomers all cry over "the possibility" but not the reality.

Next is the issue of "base stat valor" if anything this will make PvP more fun for those of us who PvP for some sport, not because we like running around 2 shotting new 50's and typing "UMADBRO" after you decimate them in your P6 gear. I enjoy playing against skilled teams because they offer up a challenge, sure the occasional steamrolled WF is fun too, but those games keep reminding me of the grind instead of being just plain fun. The +20% Valor will help bring more people into PvP that were daunted by the prospect of trying to fight P6 geared players when they have no valor. More people in queue means shorter queues.

Saying that you "worked hard" for your P6 gear is laughable and when it comes from the same mouths that whine about how players dont have a right to free valor it just upsets me. Ive personally seen people go from P1 to P6 in less than a month, and I am sure its doable far faster than that, so expecting people to respect an attitude of superiority from someone who just ground out the prestige day after day because "PvE is boring and no fun", just goes above and beyond the regular idiocy found in forums of MMO's nowadays.

I am currently working toward my P6 rank and gear, I am P3 at the moment. What gear I do have is a mix between P3 gear and T2&3 epics, I am a warrior and use a Suncrusher. To be honest players in P6 gear are a bit tougher to kill than people in no valor (big surprise there!) but they arent invincible. I want my P6 rank for the huge amount of valor so that I can survive a bit easier and to help my pocket cleric (who is P5 atm) keep me alive. I dont PvP for some imaginary e-peen inflator (I do want the prefix titles though), I PvP because it is fun...and the PvP is truly FUN. It hasnt been streamlined, it has flaws, but those flaws add a certain unpredictability to an overly predictable game type.

My last thought, and one I hope people who play this game take to heart is that this is a game...not a job...not a life...and most certainly not something to take so damn seriously. Yes you invest time and money, but you do this for escape from whatever real life you have (some people like to "escape" longer than others). If you get so worked up over a game how do you function in the real world? A little seriousness is good in some situations (raiding especially) but for the most part some of you people need to step back and reassess your priorities in life if getting so worked up over a game is worth your time.

I'm done with my soapbox, I hope to PvP with or against anyone in my PvP group and hopefully some people will actually agree with me on some things. In the end though I expect flames from the mouths of angsty players who threaten to cancel with every new update Trion gives, why is it that the quitters are always the most vocal?
    I'm allergic to stupidity...and you're making me sneeze.

dmv

You lost me at siding with the PVer's. I have a relic weapon, I've had it for a VERY long time. I'm also rank 6, and have also been rank 6 for a very long time. PVP is much HARDER and much more time consuming then pve. I don't see why people believe there should be such a large gear disparity between the two. Maybe it's some kind of misdirected sadism.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by dmv View Post
    You lost me at siding with the PVer's. I have a relic weapon, I've had it for a VERY long time. I'm also rank 6, and have also been rank 6 for a very long time. PVP is much HARDER and much more time consuming then pve. I don't see why people believe there should be such a large gear disparity between the two. Maybe it's some kind of misdirected sadism.
    You have a relic weapon and are P6 yet you believe the grind to P6 was more difficult than learning an encounter, then dealing with the crappy RNG with some of the encounters, then getting to the point where the boss is on farm status and all the while doing this with 19 other players?

I must have missed when the grind required some actual interaction with the game to advance since you can theoretically AFK your way to P6 (theres a few P6 toons on my shard that I honestly think did that since they are horrible).

I will never say anything in a game is overly difficult, but PvP ranking and gear aquisition is laughably easy, I went from P1 with only 8 total lifetime kills to p3 with over 6k kills in less than a week, a week that I raid during (still working on RoS). I have yet to receive a single 2H weapon from GSB or RoS and still use a Suncrusher (we have no luck at all with weapons for warriors, since not one has dropped yet). So I have to deal with RNG to even see the weapon drop.

I'm not saying that you didnt work for what you have but I will more than likely be full P6 before I get an upgrade out of RoS or GSB if my luck holds up.
    I'm allergic to stupidity...and you're making me sneeze.

dmv

Quote Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
    You have a relic weapon and are P6 yet you believe the grind to P6 was more difficult than learning an encounter, then dealing with the crappy RNG with some of the encounters, then getting to the point where the boss is on farm status and all the while doing this with 19 other players?

I must have missed when the grind required some actual interaction with the game to advance since you can theoretically AFK your way to P6 (theres a few P6 toons on my shard that I honestly think did that since they are horrible).

I will never say anything in a game is overly difficult, but PvP ranking and gear aquisition is laughably easy, I went from P1 with only 8 total lifetime kills to p3 with over 6k kills in less than a week, a week that I raid during (still working on RoS). I have yet to receive a single 2H weapon from GSB or RoS and still use a Suncrusher (we have no luck at all with weapons for warriors, since not one has dropped yet). So I have to deal with RNG to even see the weapon drop.

I'm not saying that you didnt work for what you have but I will more than likely be full P6 before I get an upgrade out of RoS or GSB if my luck holds up.
    If you have problems with raiding in this game, there is something wrong with YOU. Also, P1-3, LOLOLOL, it doesn't scale too well, that's not even 1/4 of the grind.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

It's funny.

Bads always fail to understand that these games are only as hard as YOU make it.

Like to stand in stuff, not learn the actual boss fight (getting the 30 second run down from your raid leader is not learning the encounter), and generally only care about where you land on the meters? Yeah, PvE is probably hard for you.

Like to just slam buttons, ignore strategy, not focus on objectives and just either afk or do as little work as possible? Yeah, PvP is probably not that fun.

Here's the thing you're missing: You can do EVERYTHING with little effort. If you want to excel, though, they're both equally difficult.

People aren't asking for PvP weapons to be the best in the game. They're asking for PvP weapons/gear to be the best for PvP, and PvE stuff to be the best for PvE. Pretty fair and logical request.

Plane Touched

Going from P1 to P3 is 135k prestige. The total grind is 855k prestige (so you've done a sixth of it), and reaching rank 6 won't award you enough favor to buy all the gear. Provided you don't buy a single piece of rank 1-4 gear (bad idea unless you enjoy getting rolled over and over), you'll have roughly 650k favor to spend on rank 5-6 gear by the time you're at rank 6. The full rogue 5-6 set costs about 900k favor.

It's one hell of a time investment, and being afk in warfronts is the best way to make it as excruciating as it can be.

And then there are those that run the raid their first time with the guild and get a legendary as well as 2 to 3 epics from the run in a single 4 hour session.

Your arguement that PvE should have better this or that based on the RNG is a laugh.

You seem to forget, getting r6 is not the end for PvP, we don't have an offhand, wand, or shield from the rank vendors, you need the PvP rep merchants or have to PvE for it.

Getting R6 dosen't = full set of top end PvP gear either. You need a lot more favor to buy everything you need to fill out your PvP kit than the average joe will make on his way to P6, in most cases even with only spending favor to purchase the best gear from r5 and 6, you will still be spending time at R6 farming favor to complete your set.

I love how PvE'rs love to cite the whole AFKing your way to R6 or "losing and being rewarded". It just goes to show how little PvP they do and how little they realise in PvE just how many people are flat out carried in raid content and still reap the same rewards. Making the claim it dosen't happen, is the same as saying people don't AFK in warfronts.

In PvE you make money easily, several plat an hour without even trying. Try making any sort of reasonable amount of money in PvP. "But Catalysts, you can loot a dead enemy just like an NPC!" Yeah you try doing that and see if that X-player-class that is looking at you patiently waits for you to finish looting, heal up, and walk into their agro range.

Now with 1.3 you will have PvE'rs with weapons that PvP'ers cannot aquire through their desired play, AND the same PvE'rs will be recieving, with ZERO time investment, HALF of the benefit that an R6 fully geared PvP'er has toward mitigation on his gear, WITHOUT sacrificing other stats in order to get the valor.

Lastly, I just can't ignore that you think anything to do with PvE in rift is hard...at all. Were you the first one to ever enter the raid and progress through it, are you in the GAMES leading progression guild? If not every arguement and claim you make about having to "learn" anything is moot, next time spend 5 minutes reaping a web page that tells you every little detail of how and when to do what. Next time you go into a warfront against stacked premades when your on a pug, go read that webpage...oh, right, there isn't one. PvP isn't some static scripted event that you can learn and walk through, repeat til geared and move to the next.

I have been through this with others with your mentality of easymode PvP and how easy it is to get blah blah. It's not, wake up. Losing your way to r6 + full gear, literally takes thousands of matches. The time invested by the PvP'er to get fully geared is leaps and bounds above that of the time invested by the PvE'r.

A PvE'r playing 10 hours a week, will be fully geared, long before a PvP'er will at 10 hours a week. Do the math. Better yet, I already did in another thread. Just to aquire 350k favor, on average, with a 50% win:loss using the average match time, and average favor gained per match as bench marks, it takes almost 133 hours of played time. That's three weeks working a full time job with a bit of overtime. You invested 30-40something hours to hit 50, another 20-30 to get geared to raid, and then 2-4 hours a week raiding. Even if you double the times listed for PvE, you just get in the range of what the PvP'er needs to do to get HALF the favor he needs to get his full set.

Obviously if your AFKing your way to R6 + gear, you can easily see a MASSIVE spike in the time investment because you are driving down your own favor and prestige gains, not only for yourself, but for everyone of you faction in the WF. Alternatively the time can be lessoned a fair bit by rolling in a premade and stomping pugs at record pace. What I stated above were the averages for a 50/50 win loss.

Nothin against you, just sick of this mentality that PvE is so hard, and therefore deserves to have better toys. It's self important nonsense.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    People aren't asking for PvP weapons to be the best in the game. They're asking for PvP weapons/gear to be the best for PvP, and PvE stuff to be the best for PvE. Pretty fair and logical request.
    A-F***ING-MEN, preach on an all that good stuff.

Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread