+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Guardian's Guide to Victory in Port Scion.

Default The Guardian's Guide to Victory in Port Scion.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2307/psm.png - You need to follow this strategy, Guardians!

* 1 point per non-elite undead kill (not defiant guards)
    * 10 points per elite kill (centurions & elite undead)
    * 50 points for the dragon
    * 30 points for each source shard (-10 for each idol destroyed by the defiant)
    * 100 points for Ithluk (and he spawns the hero for the side that kills him)
    * 100 points for the first time you kill each of the capacitors
    * Auto-win if you kill the enemy commander. Destroying capacitors weakens the commander and killing both makes the commander killable. He might be killable with 1 capacitor up.

This war-front has become quite complex lately with the capacitors being killable. It used to be they weren't reasonably killable and therefore it came down to controlling church, which meant controlling bridge. With the new changes the old style of play is far less critical.

The strategy I and others have been doing and training Guardians is to blitz the south capacitor, then the north capacitor via the canals, and then kill the last boss. South then north is the optimal path for Guardians since you don't have to run back-and-forth. In a race situation its your best chance to beat the defiant to the boss kill. Additionally, if the defiant do NOT take the canals then you will clash with them in the portcullum/dragon area. The winner will press on to the others idol/capacitor and have a huge advantage (and likely take the bridge by default as a reinforcement point). This leads to quick wins.

If you don't go for this quick head-shot win or can't because you don't have a strong leader in the Warfront or good healing/assisting, then it comes down to shards for the win if you don't kill the boss. If you are going for shard wins then you really have 3 objectives.

1) Protect your idols. This is the most important thing to do. If you lose your idol you give them 100 points, expose your boss to a kill, and lower the point value of the shards. Losing one can be recoverable. Losing 2 is a severe loss.
    2) Get the bridge. The bridge re-spawn point helps you control Church. Controlling church gets you shards to run. From bridge you can also see both of your idols and see if they are being attacked. If they are, reinforce them immediately. Do not wait - they can be destroyed quickly.
    3) Destroy one or both of the enemy capacitors. This gives you 100-200 points and lessens the enemy's chance at victory by lower shard value.

You can kill the north idol/capacitor from the church courtyard area at-range. 2-3 ranged players can do this fairly quickly.

The south capacitor can be pressed to help deter the enemy from the bridge and your idols since it is close to their re-spawn.

If the enemy controls the bridge and is sitting on it/farming it, then go after the capacitors. They can't see their south capacitor from the bridge area so that is the logical choice. You can also sneak to the north capacitor via the canals, but that requires going under bridge and usually at least 1-2 defiant see you doing this. If they're on TS with others or report it to the rest of the war-front this can end your offensive quickly.

The point of going after their capacitors is four-fold. 1) pull the enemy off bridge so you have a chance at retaking it. 2) kill a capacitor for points. 3) kill the capacitor permanently and remove some of the value of bridge to them. 4) move one step closer to alternate victory by boss-kill. Threatening the boss is another great way of pulling them off bridge.

Also, turning in quests causes an elite and a normal mob to spawn and run out. One tactic you can do as a group is jointly turn in your quests together so you get a wave of elites spawned. One tactic to do early in the game is to save quests up and turn them all in at the same time and then go meet the enemy in the south or at bridge. This is risky because it can divide your army, but it can also get 6-7 elites spawned which can greatly assist you in wiping out the enemy and the NPCs will naturally attack the enemy capacitor. Usually this tactic goes hand-in-hand with an early church attack. The point of it is to turn in a bunch of quests, then go kill Ithluk to spawn the hero, and then attack the bridge from the north while running some shards and turning in a few more quests. What this does is gives you a wave of elites + the hero + a few more elites and distracts the other team north of the bridge. Before they know it they have 7-8 elites + the hero beating on their capacitor and that's more than enough to kill it without additional player support. If people break away to stop this then they lose the bridge. If they don't break away they lose their capacitor. It's a good tactic that has a fair success rate, as you get 100 points for Ithluk plus 90 for the first 3 shards + 50 or so for the elites and mobs in the church. If the NPCs & hero kill the idol you're at 350 points with one idol down and control of the church. You have the option of blitzing hte other idol/capacitor and sealing their fate. Watch out for this strategy. You can tell if the enemy is doing it because you won't see them in the beginning and they will come from the north.

This strategy is completely ruined by the blitz-the-capacitors strategy I have been employing because you meet and destroy the Defiant/NPC wave and blow up their undefended capacitor quickly. This takes their church/bridge/shard strategy and shatters it. If they don't immediately move to defend their other capacitor they are extremely ****ed.

The blitz strategy is the best because it forces a race against boss kills, and if the other team doesn't immediately go for that they will lose. If they try to defend and you have a strong team you'll farm tons of favor and still kill their capacitor. It won't matter if they run shards because you'll kill both capacitors rendering the church mostly useless to them and their chances of victory slim. They'll end up with 300-500 points, but they'll stagnate after that and lose when you kill their boss.

TLDR: MEET ENEMY AT CONTACT POINT #1 - DESTROY THEM - THIS ALMOST ALWAYS GUARANTEES YOU A VICTORY.
    TLDR: DESTROY CAPACITOR AT CONTACT POINT #2 - DESTROY IT AND AWAY THE CUSTODIAN. KILL HER.
    TLDR: ENTER THE CANALS AND HEAD TO THE NORTHERN CAPACITOR TO CONTACT POINT #3 - DESTROY BOTH IT AND ODEGIO.
    TLDR: RUSH TO CONTACT POINT #4 AND ENGAGE THE BOSS. KILLING ANY DEFIANT AS SOON AS THEY SHOW UP - DO NOT LET THEM REACH CRITICAL MASS.

Follow my strategy and win.
    Last edited by Horrigan; 06-13-2011 at 02:40 PM.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."
    Basileus of The Enclave

Anyone who plays on Reclaimer knows Horriblegan is not worth listening to.

Thanks for the guide man!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Anyone who plays on Reclaimer knows Horriblegan is not worth listening to.
    98 Port Scions so far and not one loss yet doing what I do.

Sorry bro but you're bad.

EDIT: LOL YOU HAVE AN ANIME AVATAR YOUR OPINION IS NULL & VOID.
    Last edited by Horrigan; 06-13-2011 at 03:35 PM.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."
    Basileus of The Enclave

Bumpo dumpo

Basileus of The Enclave

*takes notes for the Defiant side*

Please, for the love of everything that is holy, separate PVE and PVP servers so the PvPers don't have to put up with this zerg PVE crap in our warfronts.

Thank you.
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

Quote Originally Posted by -Sansa- View Post
    *takes notes for the Defiant side*
    *passes notes along to defiant generals, notices that more defiants rolled Rogues and less rolled Clerics compared to their guardian counterparts, figures it's a good time to switch to bard, blames Trion for not thinking through the influence faction themes would have on class choices*

Quote Originally Posted by The Grixxitt View Post
    Please, for the love of everything that is holy, separate PVE and PVP servers so the PvPers don't have to put up with this zerg PVE crap in our warfronts.

Thank you.
    But Grixxitt, some of the best warfront wins are carried on the backs of PvE'rs from Silkweb and Gnarlwood. Shocking I know, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerus View Post
    But Grixxitt, some of the best warfront wins are carried on the backs of PvE'rs from Silkweb and Gnarlwood. Shocking I know, but true.
    I have much love for my PVE brethren, but by the same token I'm 100% convinced that separating those who prefer PvE from those who prefer PvP will cure the ills of our last WF.

If segregation is not an option at least give us another warfront to appease us until Open World options become available.
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

Quote Originally Posted by The Grixxitt View Post

Thank you.
    Because at no point in time do we:

A) - Engage and crush the intitial Defiant Attack.
    B) - Break off and defend idols with small groups.

I'm sorry that the Defiant can't handle us on either the PvP or PvE front but that's not our fault at all. Also! It's not all PvE - These are objectives of the battle. If I ever catch anyone complaining about Port Scion but praising DAoC i'll have a hearty chuckle at the irony. Know why? Keep Lords.

EDIT: LOL POINTS A & B ARE OBVIOUS PVP BTW ROFL.
    Last edited by Horrigan; 06-14-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Basileus of The Enclave

Horrigan the Horrible wept in joy when they nerfed the PvE content in Port Scion, because he finally had a PvEasy way to run Port Scion, with as little, or no PvP as possible. He sings praise daily that 20 people can kill a boss mob, that a group can kill, and dances under the light of the moon at his PvEasy skills. His greatest fear is that they'll buff this PvEasy means, and he'll once again be forced to PvP.

What he fails to mention is that we Guardians won previously to them being merged with us, and we didn't have to take the easy road out. He's basically gone out of his way to minimalize PvP, and champion the PvE means to force a boring Warfront onto everyone else. Hell, when we kill the boss, we only take down one capacitor before doing so. This is how bad Horrigan the Horrible is, that he needs to take down both. You don't need to defend Guardian idols, because the boss dies so fast you can kill him in the time it takes the Defiants to kill our north capacitor.

In DAoC you had ONE keep lord, and everyone fought in a centralized location, not a zone lengths apart.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-14-2011 at 01:59 PM.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

You know what we've been doing?

We kill both capacitors, the south, and north boss, farm the defiants on the bridge, whle running shards until we get to 800ish points, THEN we go kill the boss to rub in the win. We almost always finish with well over 200 kills, 5k-6k favor/prestige, and both PvErs, and PvPrs get to enjoy Port Scion. All the while you're finishing in 5 minutes, and waiting on 20 minute queues.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-14-2011 at 02:03 PM.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    Topeka Photography

Ah, Horrigan. Also known as "He-who-will-not-stop-attacking-the-boss-even-when-his-raid-has-been-wiped-50-times".

It's interesting to see your liberal use of capslock extends beyond the game itself.
    Last edited by Satiar; 06-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

He must not have been getting enough attention on his server boards, so he had to go viral with his need for everyone elses attention.

Topeka Photography

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast