+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small 1v1 duelling instances?

Default Small 1v1 duelling instances?

Sorry if someone has suggesting this before, or if it's similar to a type of PvP in another game. If anything when I played WoW many years ago, Arena was just starting to pick up, but I was only ever in a 3v3 or somesuch.
    In previous MMOs I doubt 1v1 would have been viable as healers, support and other squishies wouldn't stand a chance and changing spec was such a drama. Excepting perhaps mages, I think it'd be much fairer with Rift's variety of roles and specs. People could have a dedicated "duel" spec if they wanted to, which would mean a fresh look at all of our current favoured trees.
    To be honest, the main reason this appeals to me is that while I chose to play on a PvE server, the Warfronts are rarely interesting... The most fun I have in open world is bumping into another (rare) flagged character and battling it out on the fly. I suppose for PvP servers 1v1 would be less appealing, you likely get enough of that from just questing. But even then a ranking system and possibly tokens would be a good addition.
    Obvious issues I can forsee:
    Lag (even minimal) will still be an issue for Oceanic players wanting to do this seriously, which is a downside... but I still love the idea.
    I'm not sure how brackets would work... obviously the spread over 10 levels won't work for this. And the differences between characters and the tiers of gear they have would also hit hard.

What do you think?
    Wry, Greybriar

dmv

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
    Sorry if someone has suggesting this before, or if it's similar to a type of PvP in another game. If anything when I played WoW many years ago, Arena was just starting to pick up, but I was only ever in a 3v3 or somesuch.
    In previous MMOs I doubt 1v1 would have been viable as healers, support and other squishies wouldn't stand a chance and changing spec was such a drama. Excepting perhaps mages, I think it'd be much fairer with Rift's variety of roles and specs. People could have a dedicated "duel" spec if they wanted to, which would mean a fresh look at all of our current favoured trees.
    To be honest, the main reason this appeals to me is that while I chose to play on a PvE server, the Warfronts are rarely interesting... The most fun I have in open world is bumping into another (rare) flagged character and battling it out on the fly. I suppose for PvP servers 1v1 would be less appealing, you likely get enough of that from just questing. But even then a ranking system and possibly tokens would be a good addition.
    Obvious issues I can forsee:
    Lag (even minimal) will still be an issue for Oceanic players wanting to do this seriously, which is a downside... but I still love the idea.
    I'm not sure how brackets would work... obviously the spread over 10 levels won't work for this. And the differences between characters and the tiers of gear they have would also hit hard.

What do you think?
    It would cause imbalances in classes, for example I play an assassin.
    If an assassin can't dominate someone in seconds, then the assassin is dead because that persons teammates just faceraped you. It's just the style of the class, while there are counters to this, people would rage on the forum based on 1v1. As opposed to team combat.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

I would be down, if there was a disclaimer that people had to sign before queuing that they aren't allowed to complain on the forums about "imbalances"
    Quote Originally Posted by Effi View Post
    I have seen the desecrations they have done, the murders they have wrought, and it can be no sin to be the hand of justice.

Banned

What is stopping you now from dueling 1v1?

Do you really need a instanced zone to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Notnice View Post

Agreed. I'd rather see an MMO with no instances, if possible. They're really just a crutch.

They should add 3v3 dueling instance in the top of the mountains so its still outdoor, and gives you rating if you win, Its not an arena, its world pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Notnice View Post

On a PvE server, generally yes. Some people are happy to duel if you're hanging around Meri or waiting on an invasion or whatever, but not that many. There's also the fact that duelling the opposing faction on a PvE server almost never happens.
    I simply like the idea of some sort of ranking, recorded stats and possibly little rewards and achievements... I think a lot of others would, too.
    It'd be great to look up your wins/losses, which classes you've won/lost against most, even a tracker that lists the characters you've fought and the results from those duels.

Also, it would be easy for Trion to make a little instance for it. Less distractions like all of the other players idling around Meridian/Sanctum, some immersion. You ask "why make an instance for it"... why not? You wouldn't be forced to use it unless you wanted to.

And as far as complaints about "my spec would get pummelled" and so on... this is why I mentioned re-evaluating our trees for duels if it was done. Right now we have no reason to do so, but if we have raid specs, warfront specs and solo specs, why not a duelling spec? I was heavily into my Rogue on WoW, so I do understand stealth concerns and the whole "who hits first" factor. But for a small amount of work on Trion's part it'd be an extra dimension that I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy.

3v3 and 5v5 would also be nice... Makes being able to fill a warfront/arena with just your buddies on Vent much more viable, especially on some of the quieter servers where I've heard the normal Warfront queues are painfully long.
    Wry, Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread