+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pvper's are people too, can we get some love?

Soulwalker

Default Pvper's are people too, can we get some love?

I understand that pve progression is a big part of any MMO that wants to hold a lot of subscriptions, But your game has attracted a rather large player base that enjoys being able to fully progress their character though pvp. the thing that is killing us the most right now is your silence when it comes to this issue, why can we not discuss this dev to player? Why are we left to wonder whether this game is going to continue feeding our need to take the fight to the other faction while remaining at least in a fair competitive balance while being compared to our pve counterparts? chime us in please we are all dying to know.

Soon enough sir, it will happen.

Ascendant

I wouldnt be too happy about that 40 vs 40 yet, hell what Im thinkin now is something along, theres zone with lots of rifts, and which side destroy the most wins then some people can harass other side if they want. Ive seen some crazy **** what devs do in my days ike from Aion, its just odd there isnt one single dev who just give it for pvp wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by June; 06-13-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Soulwalker

a fellow guild mate crunched some numbers, this is what he came out with

So because it is important to know the actual numbers I did a little research. This way we can tell for certain if the new gear is in fact better. Doing the math as I write this.

First thing I have to say is that the way they calculate spell damage in this game is out of date by about 10 years. It is virtually impossible to balance anything unless damage is normalized. They decided not to do that for some reason.

That said, it looks like they go with the archaic simple formula of:
    Damage dealt = BD + SP * C
    Where BD = base damage, SP = obvious, and C = coefficient

Using fireball as an example. Base damage at 51 points in the tree according to a talent calculator is 152-157. A couple places I've seen say fireball has a 40% SP coefficient.

According to these numbers at 900 SP the PVP geared person should do 157 + 900 * 0.4 = 517 before damage reduction

Increasing that to 1500 SP PVE geared person should do 157 + 1500 * 0.4 = 757 before damage reduction

When the PVP geared person is nuking the PVE geared person it would be 517 * 0.8 = 413.6

When the PVE geared person is nuking the PVP geared person it would be 757 * 0.6 = 454.2

Bottom line: The PVE geared person will have ~10% advantage.

However, there is something that could change that. In order to figure out if the PVE gear is for certain better I would need to know about other forms of damage reduction. I see on the wiki that there exists a resist stat that gives 0.05% damage reduction per point for example. If this is a stat people can actually get (from buffs, gear, whatever), and if it is additive with the PVP damage reduction then the PVP gear will actually become much better. However if people can't get this stat, or if it is multiplicative then it has no effect on the calculations.

Pvp-ers...Is that the guys who only play fotm OP classes, use the word "noob" alot more often than anyother word in their vocabulary, QQ at the very 1st thing that stops their rampage in warfronts, and demand arena 24/7 ?!?

Crap, thought they remained in lolwow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Pvp-ers...Is that the guys who only play fotm OP classes, use the word "noob" alot more often than anyother word in their vocabulary, QQ at the very 1st thing that stops their rampage in warfronts, and demand arena 24/7 ?!?

Intellectuals will post wont they

Naw man what we need is more instanced crap to make the servers feel like deserted ghost worlds and give the impression that no one is playing outside your guild or group.

Quote Originally Posted by Trion
    "Rift will be developed from the ground up for PVP"
    O'Rly?

Uso Da!

Rift Disciple

Sorry, we are not people - we are red headed step-children.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post

i find the PvE-er's to match that description alot more. PvE and PVP are too very different playstyles, if you dont have anything constructive to say i would recommend zipping your lips and enjoying your new 20 man headache :P

Im tired of wearing this star on my jacket and being a second class citizen!
    Bloodiron - Ayronamic

+ Reply to Thread