+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mage or cleric..which has more effective options for pvp?

Shadowlander

Default mage or cleric..which has more effective options for pvp?

hi all

i currently have a mage and a cleric lvl 25 and i like them both alot. so i want to decide on a main. my goal is to pvp mainly and i would like to heal with the option of dpsing at times.

i like the cleric alot as i feel unkillable alot of the time. my issue is, is healing the only effective specs for cleric in pvp at 50? i like to heal, dont get me wrong but after awhile, its fun to smash a face or two. i dont want to be pigeon holed into only healing as a cleric at 50 to be effective cuz ill eventually grow bored of it.

mage has the option to heal and dps with different styles of game play so this almost seems like the way to go, but i hear mage healing is super gimped at 50 since their main healing (lifegiving veil?, not familiar with mage healing yet) is easily dispelled, thus rendering them useless for healing.

so tldr version..how do the cleric dps specs hold up at 50 in pvp? are they effective or is healing really the only valid option? how is mage healing at 50 pvp? gimped or effective? thanks

Clerics are the OP flavor of the patch, and will be 1.3. They can DPS and tank and heal. Making them unfair, but imo boring to play. I play mage cause of all of the focus and rotation variations. They are very easy to kill though.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Brytag View Post
    hi all

i currently have a mage and a cleric lvl 25 and i like them both alot. so i want to decide on a main. my goal is to pvp mainly and i would like to heal with the option of dpsing at times.

i like the cleric alot as i feel unkillable alot of the time. my issue is, is healing the only effective specs for cleric in pvp at 50? i like to heal, dont get me wrong but after awhile, its fun to smash a face or two. i dont want to be pigeon holed into only healing as a cleric at 50 to be effective cuz ill eventually grow bored of it.

mage has the option to heal and dps with different styles of game play so this almost seems like the way to go, but i hear mage healing is super gimped at 50 since their main healing (lifegiving veil?, not familiar with mage healing yet) is easily dispelled, thus rendering them useless for healing.

so tldr version..how do the cleric dps specs hold up at 50 in pvp? are they effective or is healing really the only valid option? how is mage healing at 50 pvp? gimped or effective? thanks
    If you want dps roll mage, for healing roll cleric, Both classes can do the other (dps or heal) but will not be the best in pvp at it.
    50 Warrior
    50 Mage
    50 Defiant cleric
    50 rogue
    50 Defiant Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    Clerics are the OP flavor of the patch, and will be 1.3. They can DPS and tank and heal. Making them unfair, but imo boring to play. I play mage cause of all of the focus and rotation variations. They are very easy to kill though.
    Except you forgot to mention they can only do one at a time. When they are healing they are not DPSing.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Except you forgot to mention they can only do one at a time. When they are healing they are not DPSing.
    That is true to a degree, sure you cant be a main healer however a dps cleric with just a few points in a healing soul can do very well in a 1 on 1 fight. It depends on what you want. Mage can blow ya up in seconds, a cleric can wear ya down over a longer period of time.

If you build each to thier best a cleric should allways beat every other class 1 on 1 if gear is equal. In wf's play what ya like cause your just one of 10 or 20 and only make a small difference as dps or huge difference as healer.

Some people dont enjoy being the pvp raid healer, I know i hate it when playing my cleric, i know they make a huge difference but i hate it and have no fun so why would i pay to play something i hate.

Now a good mage can make a big difference in some cases like aoe the fang when droped so other team dont pike it up. But really most classes can aoe in some way or another warior being to least useful at it.
    50 Warrior
    50 Mage
    50 Defiant cleric
    50 rogue
    50 Defiant Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Nashton View Post
    That is true to a degree, sure you cant be a main healer however a dps cleric with just a few points in a healing soul can do very well in a 1 on 1 fight. It depends on what you want. Mage can blow ya up in seconds, a cleric can wear ya down over a longer period of time.

If you build each to thier best a cleric should allways beat every other class 1 on 1 if gear is equal. In wf's play what ya like cause your just one of 10 or 20 and only make a small difference as dps or huge difference as healer.
    All that is so far from fact it's unreal.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    All that is so far from fact it's unreal.
    Really from playing my cleric I belive it to be right on the mark.
    50 Warrior
    50 Mage
    50 Defiant cleric
    50 rogue
    50 Defiant Mage

1.0 : cleric = mage
    1.1: mage (dom, pyro, sc) > cleric
    1.2: mage (pyro, SC) > cleric
    1.3 mage (dom) > cleric

So if you are not an idiot, and want to be useful to your team, roll a mage.
    If you want to have a huge HIT ME sign plastered on your face and realize that your class isnt the 1 2 3 class people make it out to be + hold the hugest responsibility on the field, or want a huge HIT ME sign plastered on your face and have the lowest [useful] damage on the field, roll a cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Nashton View Post
    Really from playing my cleric I belive it to be right on the mark.
    You sig suggests you play something called "Claric" And in pvp, burst > dps, drawing out a fight only gives the enemy a greater chance to kill you or run away and for you to OOM
    Last edited by Eughe; 06-12-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Plane Touched

I concider him running away a win dont you? but anyway do you play a cleric? do you have trouble with any class in a 1 on 1? cause i dont.
    50 Warrior
    50 Mage
    50 Defiant cleric
    50 rogue
    50 Defiant Mage

If im not in a spec to counter or at least survive the enemy im dead quite honestly. Not every spec one happens to be in can contend with every other class. Same goes with someone who purges/silences (which is tough against melee specs) or silence and healdebuff (good against inqui specs).

Unkilliable healers specs cant 1v1 simply because their dps out put is next to nill (even with lolwaterjet) and you will indeed run out of mana before they run out of options, especially if they utilize silences and heal debuff, because you waste GCD dispelling or unable to do anything other than run (which many are prepared for) Then we have a plethora of other CC that will work, since you are not being spammed with it by multiple people, who are causing you to gain the DR quickly, you are simply facing 1 person

But of course, every one on the forums is pro rank 6 66/66/66 pvpers, even though a minute portion of the pop is actually above rank 4, and even less pvp often (or well for that matter) and many specs, including a cleric, can not fight back against every spec out there.

Im sure youre pro though. Its evident by your profound *** talk.

This feels an awful lot like a cleric trying to start **** with some mages

Rift Master

Cleric is god mode, and Trion can't do a single thing about it! All you have to do is learn how to play some of the PvP builds and get into some PvP gear and you can not die!

Era
    Champion of Telara

I find Inquisitor and Justicar to be a nice combination. At 25 it might not be so much though...
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Clerics are awesome. I'm not much of one for healing as I'm sure a few people have noticed in my battlegroup, but shaman/justicar makes for some pretty good support and having damage shields and stupid opponents makes for some easy flag captures.

(Gear)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Cleric is god mode, and Trion can't do a single thing about it! All you have to do is learn how to play some of the PvP builds and get into some PvP gear and you can not die!
    That is what I was trying to get accrose, ofcourse 5 people can kill a cleric but one on one there is a couple of cleric builds that are nearly impossable to beat.

And siense I enjoy running around solo alot I have good builds that can kill just about anyone with all 4 of my different classes.

There is no way my warrior can kill a well built well played same gear cleric.

My rogue has trouble, can be done but its not easy.

My mage? Maybe or maybe not, depends on crit luck.

And crits are getting hammered in next pacth so thats out.

Cleric vrs cleric is the best fights i ever had.

Try spending 32 on a dps soul and 32 on a healing soul or some of that in pvp soul, you would be suprised at just what a cleric is capable of.

I understand if you only pvp as a full healer you dont relize just how tough a cleric can be.
    50 Warrior
    50 Mage
    50 Defiant cleric
    50 rogue
    50 Defiant Mage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast