+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valor

Telaran

Default Valor

I am opposed to Valor for several reasons, and I have a suggestion that if adopted may accomplish what valor does, but without the downsides.

First, what does Valor accomplish? Damage is balanced for PVE content. This leads to very short fights in PVP. Valor is an attempt to balance the damage in PVP.

Valor fails to do this, because some players have a lot of it, and others have very little. It makes life hell for the casual PVPer, or for the character new to PVP but who's real life owner would like to participate. So, it creates an IMBALANCE.

It also closes doors to your well-rounded MMO player who also has a job and so can afford a subscription. First, by making the entry to PVP so difficult. Second, by making PVE gear undesirable to the avid PVPer. If friends want to run an instance or if help is needed with an Invasion event, an avid PVPer with only X number of hours to play each week has to consider if there is any advantage to be derived in their PVP game by doing this PVE content. What's the point of fighting an invasion if the stuff you get only helps you to fight invasions?

This separates the communities of Rift. It puts them at odds with each other. If I PVP and a patch for Rift Invasions or Raids comes out, it is as though nothing has happened for me. I feel ignored. Because I need equipment with Valor. Anything else is JUNK.

Valor transform Rift from a wide open world with dynamic content waiting to be explored to a city that I queue from and a few Warfronts that I do over and over.

My proposed solution: Add an ability to every PVP soul that requires 0 points in the tree. It is a one hour buff that reduces the damage received from players by X% Make X a number that actually balances the PVE balanced damage for PVE, and wallah! For the price of a PVP soul and a role that you spec for PVP you have the balance that you desire.

Rift can do this, thanks to its clever design. WOW can't. WOW needs PVP gear with Resilience thanks to its dated class design.
    Last edited by princehal; 06-12-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by princehal View Post
    I am opposed to Valor for several reasons, and I have a suggestion that if adopted may accomplish what valor does, but without the downsides.

First, what does Valor accomplish? Damage is balanced for PVE content. This leads to very short fights in PVP. Valor is an attempt to balance the damage in PVP.

Valor fails to do this, because some players have a lot of it, and others have very little. It makes life hell for the casual PVPer, or for the character new to PVP but who's real life owner would like to participate. So, it creates an IMBALANCE.

It also closes doors to your well-rounded MMO player who also has a job and so can afford a subscription. First, by making the entry to PVP so difficult. Second, by making PVE gear undesirable to the avid PVPer. If friends want to run an instance or if help is needed with an Invasion event, an avid PVPer with only X number of hours to play each week has to consider if there is any advantage to be derived in their PVP game by doing this PVE content. What's the point of fighting an invasion if the stuff you get only helps you to fight invasions?

This separates the communities of Rift. It puts them at odds with each other. If I PVP and a patch for Rift Invasions or Raids comes out, it is as though nothing has happened for me. I feel ignored. Because I need equipment with Valor. Anything else is JUNK.

Valor transform Rift from a wide open world with dynamic content waiting to be explored to a city that I queue from and a few Warfronts that I do over and over.

My proposed solution: Add an ability to every PVP soul that requires 0 points in the tree. It is a one hour buff that reduces the damage received from players by X% Make X a number that actually balances the PVE balanced damage for PVE, and wallah! For the price of a PVP soul and a role that you spec for PVP you have the balance that you desire.

Rift can do this, thanks to its clever design. WOW can't. WOW needs PVP gear with Resilience thanks to its dated class design.
    this makes me go

Telaran

Keep hitting yourself on the head., then.

+ Reply to Thread