+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strategy in Codex

Default Strategy in Codex

So, the Defiants on my Cluster are largely falling for a trick that I see over and over again. It really makes me sad, as I try to inform them of what's really going on and how these skilled players on the other faction constantly win.

The fact that Codex gives the most points is the bait. They want you to go to Codex, and focus on trying to get it. However, they dont need it to win.

What they're doing is taking Their starting point, then vault. Sending a few people to codex to keep it in transition as often as possible and sending rogues to keep Scope a consistent problem.

By doing this, they're getting the 3 points per tick from two locations, while the other team is only getting either Codex or Scope for 5 or 3.

The reason why people are falling for this is because they think they're doing the right thing by going to codex and keeping it. When in reality, it's that focus on that location that's hurting their team.

This is how the pro Premade groups are largely winning on my cluster. Not sure how it's working out elsewhere.
    Conwolv - <Despair> - Hailol US-Defiant - www.Despair-Gaming.com

we see something similar on my cluster.
    the problem isnt infact your teams focus on codex.
    the problem is the excessive focus on the importance (to defiants) of scope, combined with the insufficient focus on statue.

additional notes:
    codex + 1 wins. this is standard pug wisdom (lol). nothing says that the +1 needs to be the nearest flag to your gy. some assume it is, as its "easiest to control". this is the fallacy the other team uses to control you (insert 'in soviet russia' joke here)

vault gives more points over the duration of a match as it is less often contested, and often defended by a solo rogue.

fighting at the flag nearest your gy causes your respawns to stack up there, eventualy you will retake the flag due to this. the flip side is that the opposing team will have taken every other flag, and be leading on points, by the time you do.

conversely, fighting at the flag nearest your opponents gy denies reinforcements to all other flags until they manage to push you off. natrual attrition with ensure you take all flags before this happens.

the recent addition of a bridge and the smoothing of the hillside approaches to codex have been insufficient to direct pugs to the codex flag when there is some fighting to be done at the nearest to gy flag. suggestions of giant flashing neon signs with oversized arrows have been made to redirect those who still insist on derping their way to a loss from scope to codex.

Shadowlander

This is a problem that plagues pugs and I think it is mainly due to the few people you get in your WF who are always sitting there complaining about not having Codex or complaining about neding more to defend it. There are people who literally flip their minds about Codex in games like it is the only way to win. What I've found to be most effective is similar to what was stated already. Take scope, vault, and statue. This causes a large number of enemies at codex to flock to a different point as all pugs know you need Codex + 1. This is the point where you can go in and take Codex out from them and repeat the process as needed. People need to learn that Codex isn't needed to win, it makes winning easier, but it isn't needed.

Champion of Telara

I have an unorthodox strat that most people dont like, but it works for me. Ill go over it and maybe some people can try it to see if it works for them. Its really what I do in any WF.

I wait until the WF begins and then I actively seek out and kill anyone I can find on the other team, it sounds crazy I know. I figure the more of them that are dead the less of them to fight my team over the objectives.

The flaws? I cant be everwhere at once and I have lots of bads on my team sometimes. These bads are much more interested in getting killed than they are in killing anyone.

Dont do stupid things like take on people when you are outnumbered by a lot. That doesnt mean your team can just zerg around and kill everyone. It works sometimes, but sometimes people can use that against you.

Warfront mechanics should not be ignored, but killing the other team is always going to be more important. Sometimes people lose because they ignore killing too much and lemming into flag carriers and things like that.

If you are ever in doubt of where to go in the codex go to the codex. Just make sure your team is there before you rush in.

One of the first things that people see in /wf or /raid when joining Codex is that "We need Codex!"

One of the second things that people see in /wf or /raid will be "Defend!"

Those following that advice...will tend to lose - unless they simply outgear/outheal/etc the other team.

You can't just take Statue/Scope and Codex...then sit around. Yes, Codex is the most valuable individual node. Two nodes give more pts than Dex though. Soon as the opposing team flips one of your nodes, they're getting more pts. They do not even have to take it. A node being flipped generates no points. Their two nodes will generate more pts than Dex alone. If nobody is attempting to flip those two - it is a constant 6 they are getting.

Then people will tend to overreact to retake the node being flipped. Bam, the enemy assaults Dex. Now it is two 3 pt nodes vs one 3 pt node (if the team has even managed to take the one).

As for "Defend!" - yep, defense is helpful - but you need to keep attacking as well. And if you are defending - er - you know, defend near the node - do not chase the Warrior with the healer around the corner so a Rogue can ninja the node. C'mon...

Speaking of Rogues - how often will a Sin end up just sitting at Vault? They're defending...um, yay. That's great if anybody actually goes there to try to take it. Otherwise they're just AFK. They could bounce back and forth between Vault and Scope/Statue. Flippity-flip... which will cause the enemy team to spend more resources and time trying to keep what they have - putting them on the defensive - leaving your team to take a more offensive approach.

There are so many things that could be done in Codex; but for the most part it is the same ol' fail train to Loserville.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Rift Master

When I was rolling with a warrior pre 1.2 we would take scope, then head to statute, while one rogue went vault, and the rest went codex. We almost always dominated, and won 1000-0 once.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblet View Post
    When I was rolling with a warrior pre 1.2 we would take scope, then head to statute, while one rogue went vault, and the rest went codex. We almost always dominated, and won 1000-0 once.
    You sound badass

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dahrken View Post
    You sound badass
    Indeed, but mostly carried by the warrior

Rift Master

Codex+1 gives 8, opposing team gets 6. all but codex gives 9, other team gets 5.

Generally the team that wins the fight on the bridge to statue/scope/vault at the start of the map, wins.

Rift Disciple

The trick to codex is to attack. Never sit back and defend. Once you do that, you're setting yourself up to be overwhelmed. Because pugs will always either, over estimate how many are needed to repel an attack and commit too many leaving one node for easy taking or just sit on codex and watch as the opponent cap 3 flags.

Two basic strategy.

1. Go for an early 3 cap of scope, vault and statue to build up a quick 100 point lead. Then sweep towards dex. Looks hard on paper? It's not. People have the tendency to zerg codex right off the bat. That means at the start, you should have no problems capping 3 easily because they will be sitting on codex patting themselves on the back wondering what to do next.

When they finally wake up and decide to move, they will split in all directions because that's what pugs do. At this point the majority of you should hit codex and claim it. Should you manage to claim codex, it is likely that their rezzers will have taken vault (if u left it undefended) and the flag nearest to their graveyard.

At this point, do not sit back and defend. Before they can push for codex, you hit a 3rd flag again. Bring the front to them. This way you control the flow of battle. Keep doing this and you will win.

2. The typical strategy. Cap nearest flag and fight over codex. Except.....should you win the fight at codex, don't sit back and defend. Push towards the flag nearest their graveyard. Simple. Keep them busy and you won't need to defend. You should always be on the attack. And fighting near their GY will almost always produce a bottleneck on their side, wasting valuable time as points tick away in your favor.

These are the two basic strategies that will win you most codex matches. But how things play out will always be different so most importantly, adapt to the situation. Observe the flow of battle and react accordingly.

Best way to win is to zerg the vault and ignore the other flags

First thing you should do is send 5-10 people to the vault, no rogues though, rogues should assault the codex solo, and if you ever see a rogue hanging around the vault alone in stealth tell him he's weak sauce and needs to l2p then compare kills and dps with him.

If against my advice you decide to zerg the codex leave it completely undefended and rush the flag on the enemy's side of the map, while you're at it leave the flag on your side of the map unguarded.

Be sure to leave all your clerics and mages at the vault at all times, warriors and rogues should split up with no sense of direction and try to solo large crowds.

If your enemy has the Codex and are dug in deep stream into them one at a time, trickle them down like a stream erodes a mountain.

Rift Master

I thought you go to opponents spawn and collect favor...

The biggest problem I see is that people are too busy fighting the other team rather than protecting the node.

You DON'T have to kill the other player to win, you just need to stop them from taking the node.

I personally like knocking them off of the cliff, it means they are gone for about a minute which is a minute more we hold the node.

I do notice that there is almost no communication in pick up groups so on a lark everyone (except me) will jump off of the Codex and go try to cap something else; this usually means that me and 2 hidden rogues are all that is protecting the codex. Sadly, when incapacitated I am useless at protecting the Codex.

Maintaining the Codex is a good strategy, but also is keeping the other team off guard. But only 1/3 should be attacking anything else, the other 2/3 should be at our owned nodes protecting them. Remember we don't need to kill the opposing players, just stop them from capping a node.

I have kept a group of 3 alive against a group of 6 for over 2 minutes while we concentrated on keeping them off of the node (in this case the Vault), it took another 3 from their side to finally take the node; but by that time my team had regained the Codex, the Statue and the Scope.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nerus View Post
    Best way to win is to zerg the vault and ignore the other flags

First thing you should do is send 5-10 people to the vault, no rogues though, rogues should assault the codex solo, and if you ever see a rogue hanging around the vault alone in stealth tell him he's weak sauce and needs to l2p then compare kills and dps with him.

If against my advice you decide to zerg the codex leave it completely undefended and rush the flag on the enemy's side of the map, while you're at it leave the flag on your side of the map unguarded.

Be sure to leave all your clerics and mages at the vault at all times, warriors and rogues should split up with no sense of direction and try to solo large crowds.

If your enemy has the Codex and are dug in deep stream into them one at a time, trickle them down like a stream erodes a mountain.
    Best strat ever! You forgot to mention that you need to die repeatedly and pointlessly, in fact try to drown in the pool rather than making the opposition break sweat.

Codex +1 = two points that can be quicklly defended via reinforcements from one flag to the other.

3 flags no codex = 3 flags, isolated from one another, that you must defend if you do not have codex.

Possible? Absolutely.

The intelligent strategy? No.

Trying to protect 3 points that are too isolated to move your forces from one to other on short notice is just plain stupid.

..whereas from Codex you can assault 2 of those points quickly and easily, and still be able to defend Codex on short notice.

Then again....

Most MMO players haven't a clue about tactica.

Having said that, if you flat out do not have the gear/skills/organization to win an even fight at Codex, you need to try and outmaneuver the superior team.

But to make that your primary strategy if you can actually win a straight up fight is tactical idiocy.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast