+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Valor buff. Another unwanted, drastic patch...

Default Another Valor buff. Another unwanted, drastic patch...

I won't get into the ridiculous Warrior nerfs, because there's already tons of threads about that topic. Let's just say they nerfed the wrong skills. This thread is about Trion devs' inability to balance PvP skills in Rift, opting to put a bandage (Valor) on a gaping bullet wound (imbalanced damage and healing values).

The reason Trion decided to add Valor into the game is because they're lazy and/or inept. They didn't want to take the time to properly balance damage values of powerful PvE skills needed to kill bosses that have millions of HP. Players only have 4 - 6 thousand HP for most non-tank specs. So without something to lessen the damage taken in PvP, players would literally melt in seconds against well-geared, well-spec'd, good players. Valor also kills 2 birds with 1 stone, because it gives people a reason to grind to rank 6 and grind for all of their PvP gear. However, this gives players with higher rank a big advantage over players that don't have rank 5 and 6 PvP gear.

Damage values balanced for PvE, with no changes made for PvP is just 1 part of the problem. The other glaring issue with PvP is the high healing value that's required to keep raids alive in PvE, against bosses that can dish out 3 - 7 thousand damage per hit on tanks and hundreds of AoE damage raid-wide every tick. Most experienced and honest PvP'er will all agree that a well-played rank 6 Warden is nearly invincible without at least 3 high DPS players focus firing, with purge-spamming and/or having a healing debuff on them. That is because there is nothing to reduce healing values in PvP. Combined with the damage mitigation from Valor gear, bubbles/shields, HoT stacking and cross-healing from multiple healers in the raid, healing in PvP is insanely overpowered.

Base Valor in 1.3:
    http://i.imgur.com/qcpgQ.png

+264 Valor with full rank 5 and 6 Valor gear and chest rune. +276 with Glorified Scion helm rune.

For a total of 42% / 43% damage mitigation and 50% less critical damage bonus, compared to the 34% / 35% and no critical damage reduction currently on live servers.

So what does Trion decide to do with patch 1.3? Go overboard (as usual) and buff Valor by another 8% more damage mitigation AND reduce critical damage bonus by a whopping 50%. This is after they already buffed Valor substantially in patch 1.2. They decided that healers weren't powerful enough, so they gave them and their healing targets even more survivability. Trion is essentially giving DPS classes in PvP a big middle finger and handed healers godmode with patch 1.3.

What Trion should have done is get rid of Valor, then balance damage and healing values for PvP. Anyone who is flagged for PvP has their damage and healing values reduced when they use their skills on other players flagged for PvP. Trion wants to cut damage done by roughly half of the PvE amount? Fine. Do that for everyone, but don't use gear as a means to implement it. PvP gear should have a lot of Endurance, instead of Valor. More importantly, don't reduce damage output without reducing healing output along with it.

Trion took the easy way out by not properly balancing each CC for PvP in patch 1.2, opting for a blanket diminishing returns nerf across the board, making CCs random, luck-based tools for players, instead of balanced, tactical tools for good players to utilize at crucial times. They buffed Valor when it wasn't needed, giving rank 5-6 players an extremely unfair advantage over rank 1-4 players. Now, with patch 1.3, they're going to make even more drastic changes, completely opposite of what the PvP community asked for. We wanted LESS Valor. We wanted LESS healing. NOT MORE.
    Last edited by Click; 06-11-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Forgot to mention, add in a good Subdue Warrior or two, warfronts will be nothing more than a long, drawn-out staring contest.

Shield of Telara

Yeah last patch was one thing, as a cleric healer I agree they have gone too far this time... 1.2 was fine.... Just give everyone higher valor, and remove that BS crit reduction :/ also with the warrior SLI nerf stuff is just not going to die =/
    Last edited by Sundial; 06-11-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Default +1

Trion listen to OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundial View Post
    Yeah last patch was one thing, as a cleric healer I agree they have gone too far this time... 1.2 was fine.... Just give everyone higher valor, and remove that BS crit reduction :/ also with the warrior SLI nerf stuff is just not going to die =/
    1.2 wasn't fine. Lazy implementation of CC nerf. Valor gear being buffed to an overpowered amount, so that lower ranks can't compete with rank 6s. Healing still not nerfed for PvP.

1.3 is just going to make things worse. At least lower ranked players will survive a bit longer now. Too bad they still won't be able to kill rank 6 players. Neither will other rank 6 players, as long as there are decent healers in the raid.

dmv

I don't even want to know what the devs were smoking when they came up with this.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

They are nerfing crit based souls...

btw where i can read these 1.3 patch notes?

And why u think 240 valor is base? i don't think so it's base, maybe it's max u can get.
    Last edited by Acex; 06-11-2011 at 02:18 AM.
    Adalie r8 Rogue - Icewatch
    Acex r6 Cleric - Icewatch
    Gran r8 warrior - Icewatch

dmv

Quote Originally Posted by Acex View Post
    They are nerfing crit based souls...
    And warriors. Not the fear or subdue though, that gave me a good chuckle.

I like how you mention that r6 players got advantage against r1 players, like you dont do more dmg in raid epix then a player in quest blues :P

dmv

Quote Originally Posted by Lonertee View Post
    I like how you mention that r6 players got advantage against r1 players, like you dont do more dmg in raid epix then a player in quest blues :P
    I whole heartedly support a removal of valor all together, and create IDENTICAL items for each tier of equipment pvp and raid. Yes that includes T4 relic tier.

I'm not a warrior..don't really have too many problems with them as Mage..My best friend is a Warrior and ...well...I certainly don't think they needed a nerf.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Click View Post
    1.2 wasn't fine. Lazy implementation of CC nerf. Valor gear being buffed to an overpowered amount, so that lower ranks can't compete with rank 6s. Healing still not nerfed for PvP.

1.3 is just going to make things worse. At least lower ranked players will survive a bit longer now. Too bad they still won't be able to kill rank 6 players. Neither will other rank 6 players, as long as there are decent healers in the raid.
    New pvp 50's should not be able to compete with the hardcore pvp'ers. If I spend 200 hours in pvp while some new pvp'er spends 5 hours.. I should 100% have a huge pvp advantage. Just like those new 50pvp'ers have a huge advantage in pve gear which I have none of.

Go back to WoW where selfish little hypocritical whiners belong. I payed my dues for pvp, let the newbies pay for theirs.

heal spam post 1.3 is going to be even more obnoxious and over the top. GG Trion.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by dmv View Post
    I whole heartedly support a removal of valor all together, and create IDENTICAL items for each tier of equipment pvp and raid. Yes that includes T4 relic tier.
    Then we need plate armor to mitigate magic damage otherwise physical damage is still screwed.

Increased valor and crit damage reduction is just another nerf to melee over all. We need crits to kill casters otherwise it is 100% lose. Stupid stupid developers.

Did I mention Stupid developers?

They must have hired the developers who could not get jobs elsewhere.

dmv

Quote Originally Posted by Veronne View Post
    New pvp 50's should not be able to compete with the hardcore pvp'ers. If I spend 200 hours in pvp while some new pvp'er spends 5 hours.. I should 100% have a huge pvp advantage. Just like those new 50pvp'ers have a huge advantage in pve gear which I have none of.

Go back to WoW where selfish little hypocritical whiners belong. I payed my dues for pvp, let the newbies pay for theirs.
    If you get your *** handed to you by a fresh 50, you deserved it. I'm rank 6, I've npc'd countless r6 weapons due to favor cap. I've payed my dues, but I want a competitive game. Also, I've never played wow, from what I heard they have valor aswell.

TLDR version: Without valor you'd get rolled by fresh 50's, go back to wow you horrid excuse for a pvper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast