+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue PVP (and Questions Regarding Healers)

Default Rogue PVP (and Questions Regarding Healers)

Alright, before I begin...thank you for reading this through.

Tinkering with Assassin PVP at the moment. ( http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....GuRftofodbR.x )

I can't get much done other than just wounding a target, or severely pissing them off. I either wound them, they start running, and I can never catch them...or they just go back to full health from the incredible amount of ambient AoE heals from Chloromancers, Bards, and Wardens. I was advised to try out Debilitating Poison and Cloudy Poison combo. The damage from poisons was actually missed, but I could do something...albeit nearly nothing amazing. After two Black Gardens of this, the only tactic I could find to actually even prove useful was to run around beating on healers, dropping 5pt Impale, and then running to the next healer to repeat. This did nearly no damage, but the constant harassment and reapplication of Debilitating did drain their mana over 30-60seconds of this cycle. I was able to survive unstealthed for this long solely due to two Bards and a Chloromancer sustaining 15 people. No potions, no Enduring Brew, no careful LoS placement.

I can't help but to think that isn't optimal. Even sticking to purely bursting, Assassinate does fair damage on crits, but Backstab really isn't worth using as the positional requirement is a pain to land with no speed bonus.

For those with the attention span of a squirrel (gimme yer tear!):
    A) Damage is so-so, but after Assassinate and 2-3 attacks...just sit down and wait to respawn.
    B) No Interrupt (Yes Bladedancer gets one at 12 points, and Marksman gets one at 21 points. For Bladedancer, I will get almost NO use from any of the abilities minus Interrupt alone. Marksman does not work well with melee souls, so it would be very similar to Bladedancer situation.)
    C) Can be outrun by unbuffed player due to network latency.

With the truly impressive amount of ambient healing that flows, is it possible to get a *FEW* more healing debuffs? If nothing else, tack an effect similar (but not the same) to Anathema onto Advanced Flanking (for Backstab)? I only suggest this because the damage on Backstab seems to be very sub-par damage for a 10 second cooldown that can easily miss/dodge/immune.

Also, with the assassin being a master of shadows and trickery, could a small movement bonus be tacked onto Silent Footsteps? Something similar to Cloak and Dagger, a 15 seconds after breaking stealth 10-15% movement bonus?

Last suggestion, if nothing else, since Assassin relies heavily (possibly too much so) on Stealth that Slip Away may be dropped to 1min CD? (Possibly overpowering, but without the Cloak and Dagger bonus, I can't help but think this soul might have to be shelved)

Any suggestions/tips/CONSTRUCTIVE-criticism would be greatly appreciated!

-Hate

(P.S - If anyone can provide a link to a different spec (even non assassin specs) that can do well in pvp, I'm open for anything at this point. I would just like to actually kill things again!)

I have a lot of success with the Assassin/BD build in PvP
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...fodbR.xmbV0s0o

BD is pretty much used for the dodge, the Flash of Steel, and Weapon Barrage. Plus the dex buff is nice.
    Even free cost too much now

Quote Originally Posted by Hateborne View Post

Any suggestions/tips/CONSTRUCTIVE-criticism would be greatly appreciated!

-Hate

(P.S - If anyone can provide a link to a different spec (even non assassin specs) that can do well in pvp, I'm open for anything at this point. I would just like to actually kill things again!)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...sfqddR..xx0M0c

Very commonly used 51 point Sin build, once you get the levels and rank to use it.

Keep an open mind when considering interrupt options, your poison gas or blinding powder could be used as an interrupt.

Do not use foul play until you get them into a burst zone where you can either finish them, or make them panic. At the very least wait to burn it until you see them start to run, or are nearly finished with a heal if they think they are going to stand there and out heal your damage. Save Anathema til you have them around 50% for the best impact from the ability. Cloudy poison is very solid against certain classes, against others it nears useless.

Always try to be behind them as much as possible. You may not think backstab is a big improvement over savage strike, but you CAN macro it together with SS so you use whatever is appropriate under the circumstance. Also put Serpent Strike in there so it will fire whenever it pops, it hits HARD.

Ranger should be fairly obvious with it's 0 point investment you get both a ranged CP builder and a ranged finisher if people try to kite you.

If either your level or your rank prevents you from trying out the above build you can also focus more into Sin with some variation of http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...RftsfaddR.V0xo

But again it's an end build before you get your rank up a bit, I had some decent success with it before going to the top build which I still use now and have found great success with.

Hope some of it helps. Only thing else I can say is, I cannot stress enough the importance of gear on a rogue, specifically weapons, it helps a ton.

Keep in mind until you get up there in both gear and rank you wont be able to kill anyone and everyone you please, some people are better just let alone, or will require a bit of teamwork to drop reliably. Adapt to situations, do not be single minded. Most importantly, you have your stealth for a reason, make sure your using it to it's fullest and be sure to pick your fights, not just jump on whatever happens to be nearby.

Cheers.

Catalysts...thank you so so much for a post like that.

I have bookmarked the spec for weeks down the road when/if I survive to 50 and the PVP levels.

The problem with interrupts I am having is the Stuns and Confuse seem to be sharing the same Diminishing Return slot/id. If target becomes Stun immune, I have always had Blinding Powder fail too. If this wee bit of speculation is true, then I cannot imagine Poison Gas being overly useful (but noted all the same).

heh I am also aware of the name ASSASSIN as a hit'n'run or selectively kill soul. I am trying to avoid the WoW/WAR thing and just run in smashing buttons in the hopes that I kill thing (which btw works too well in both titles).

Thank you again!

-Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Hateborne View Post
    Catalysts...thank you so so much for a post like that.

I have bookmarked the spec for weeks down the road when/if I survive to 50 and the PVP levels.

The problem with interrupts I am having is the Stuns and Confuse seem to be sharing the same Diminishing Return slot/id. If target becomes Stun immune, I have always had Blinding Powder fail too. If this wee bit of speculation is true, then I cannot imagine Poison Gas being overly useful (but noted all the same).

heh I am also aware of the name ASSASSIN as a hit'n'run or selectively kill soul. I am trying to avoid the WoW/WAR thing and just run in smashing buttons in the hopes that I kill thing (which btw works too well in both titles).

Thank you again!

-Hate
    No worries, and yeah if you overlap the DR's you will run into immunity issues, also if they pop breakfree and you try to hit them with blinding or gas they will be immune for 5 seconds from the break free effect. Just have to let DR's run out, but you shouldn't have too much of an issue with using one of them as an interrupt. Very rarely will you ever open with paralyzing strike, so you should still be able to land a full duration Foul Play (unless they use a break) and still be able to land a half duration (even though you only want it for the interrupt) Gas or Blind.

Honestly, and this is bad of me, but I've got enough bear and lack of sleep working against me atm , that I just cannot remember what all shares the DR's with what.

Anyway, good luck with the leveling, getting to 50 is the easy part, the challenge begins when you start trying to rank up and have to decide whats less valuable, your mouse, or your keyboard...cause SOMETHING is gonna get broke if I get killed in 3 seconds again. (it's not THAT bad, but it can become a chore til you get some valor) So make sure your saving it up, and prebuy your early PR items when you hit the favor cap, just 1 at a time so you can start getting favor again. Until you have planned out how you want to go about buying your top rank gear. I would suggest weapons (unless your going to PvE for them or get player crafted) and jewelry first. But that's just my opnion.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Catalysts; 06-09-2011 at 07:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread