+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87

Thread: Common trick in warfronts that you all seem to fall for - Codex.

  1. #1
    General of Telara Belterra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    993

    Default Common trick in warfronts that you all seem to fall for - Codex.

    Everyone knows, that you need the codex and your homepoint to win a codex match. Now, I'm starting to see a trend here where one of the sides will simply rush one of these two, let the other one come under enemy possesion, then their enemy rushes to their endgangered control point which in turns leaves said smarter enemy free to capture the other one while they can easily keepn the other two. Then it goes back and forth ending with the side who got the bad end of the stick only recieving points from ONE control point.

    Now, the reason why I'm typing this is to tell you: DON'T let them trick you. Split your forces, Codex is often main priority so keep your main force THERE and let a smaller group take care of the threat to your home point. And, if they start focusing your home point instead of the codex simply relocate the main force to it. You have to MOVE with them once you have both the points, or else you're gonna get dragged around to no gain. You may tell me that this goes without saying, but people do seem to fall so often for it nowdays so it HAS to be said. Grab your home point and the codex, then defend whereever they are massing but DON'T leave any of them without ample defense.
    Last edited by Belterra; 06-08-2011 at 04:39 PM.


    You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belterra View Post
    Everyone knows, that you need the codex and your homepoint to win a codex match. Now, I'm starting to see a trend here where one of the sides will simply rush one of these two, let the other one come under enemy possesion, then their enemy rushes to their endgangered control point which in turns leaves said smarter enemy free to capture the other one while they can easily keepn the other two. Then it goes back and forth ending with the side who got the bad end of the stick only recieving points from ONE control point.

    Now, the reason why I'm typing this is to tell you: DON'T let them trick you. Split your forces, Codex is often main priority so keep your main force THERE and let a smaller group take care of the threat to your home point. And, if they start focusing your home point instead of the codex simply relocate the main force to it. You have to MOVE with them once you have both the points, or else you're gonna get dragged around to no gain. You may tell me that this goes without saying, but people do seem to fall so often for it nowdays so it HAS to be said. Grab your home point and the codex, then defend whereever they are massing but DON'T leave any of them without ample defense.
    That's not true. You don't need Codex at all to win the match. In fact because Codex is the most common point everyone fights over, so you don't get many points for it, no where near what you get for holding the other three, so you CAN completely ignore Codex, hold the other three, and win the game. Generally holding the other three is much, much easier than holding Codex alone. The best strategy is to hold the bottom three, and let an Assassin sit at Codex, and click it every time they get the chance to. What happens is you get a full group of noobs who refuse to leave Codex because of the one Assassin, and you outnumber the rest of the enemy, making holding the other three that much easier.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-08-2011 at 05:00 PM.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  3. #3
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belterra View Post
    Everyone knows, that you need the codex and your homepoint to win a codex match. Now, I'm starting to see a trend here where one of the sides will simply rush one of these two, let the other one come under enemy possesion, then their enemy rushes to their endgangered control point which in turns leaves said smarter enemy free to capture the other one while they can easily keepn the other two. Then it goes back and forth ending with the side who got the bad end of the stick only recieving points from ONE control point.

    Now, the reason why I'm typing this is to tell you: DON'T let them trick you. Split your forces, Codex is often main priority so keep your main force THERE and let a smaller group take care of the threat to your home point. And, if they start focusing your home point instead of the codex simply relocate the main force to it. You have to MOVE with them once you have both the points, or else you're gonna get dragged around to no gain. You may tell me that this goes without saying, but people do seem to fall so often for it nowdays so it HAS to be said. Grab your home point and the codex, then defend whereever they are massing but DON'T leave any of them without ample defense.
    Contrary to popular belief, if you don't control Codex you don't need all three other points to win.

    Codex awards 5 points/tick.
    All others award 3.

    Control 2 nodes and keep the other contested or under your control and the other team can sit at the Codex all match long and slowly watch themselves lose.

    From a point spread perspective, it's actually better to hold two flags that are not Codex and fight over a third flag than it is to try to hold Codex and fight over a second.

    Codex + 1 = 8 points/tick.
    3 nodes (not Codex) = 9 points/tick

    If you have Codex and a second node and the other team has two nodes, when they assault your second node they're earning 6 points to your 5 while the node is flipping. If they gain control of it, they're earning 9 points to your 5 for as long as they hold it.

    If you hold Codex + 1, you're earning 8 points and the other team is earning 6. If you don't get off your rumpty dumpy and go put pressure on a third node, you're only expanding your lead by 2 points/tick. And all they have to do is assault your second node (or worse, Codex) to cut your gains from that node and all of a sudden they're earning more points than you.

    "Codex + 1" is the PUG friendly strategy that minimizes the need for people to think on the fly. It's also a very mediocre strategy compared to what you can do in a group where people can work together and roll some decisive offense.
    Last edited by Licentia; 06-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.

  4. #4
    Banned Cyborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hell Gate
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    That's not true. You don't need Codex at all to win the match. In fact because Codex is the most common point everyone fights over, so you don't get many points for it, no where near what you get for holding the other three, so you CAN completely ignore Codex, hold the other three, and win the game. Generally holding the other three is much, much easier than holding Codex alone. The best strategy is to hold the bottom three, and let an Assassin sit at Codex, and click it every time they get the chance to. What happens is you get a full group of noobs who refuse to leave Codex because of the one Assassin, and you outnumber the rest of the enemy, making holding the other three that much easier.
    Because of people like this one ,we have a mess in warfonts..

  5. #5
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
    Because of people like this one ,we have a mess in warfonts..
    Every time our premade enters into a Codex, we win every single time without ever owning Codex, once. Your point?


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  6. #6
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, if you don't control Codex you don't need all three other points to win.

    Codex awards 5 points/tick.
    All others award 3.

    Control 2 nodes and keep the other contested or under your control and the other team can sit at the Codex all match long and slowly watch themselves lose.

    From a point spread perspective, it's actually better to hold two flags that are not Codex and fight over a third flag than it is to try to hold Codex and fight over a second.

    Codex + 1 = 8 points/tick.
    3 nodes (not Codex) = 9 points/tick

    If you have Codex and a second node and the other team has two nodes, when they assault your second node they're earning 6 points to your 5 while the node is flipping. If they gain control of it, they're earning 9 points to your 5 for as long as they hold it.

    If you hold Codex + 1, you're earning 8 points and the other team is earning 6. If you don't get off your rumpty dumpy and go put pressure on a third node, you're only expanding your lead by 2 points/tick. And all they have to do is assault your second node (or worse, Codex) to cut your gains from that node and all of a sudden they're earning more points than you.

    "Codex + 1" is the PUG friendly strategy that minimizes the need for people to think on the fly. It's also a very mediocre strategy compared to what you can do in a group where people can work together and roll some decisive offense.
    We're going to confuse these guys, because they still have the nubs thought process, and think Codex is the holy grail to winning the match.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  7. #7
    Banned Cyborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hell Gate
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    Every time our premade enters into a Codex, we win every single time without ever owning Codex, once. Your point?
    Who talk about premades boy ?!

  8. #8
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
    Who talk about premades boy ?!
    I guess you missed all the other words in there? I mentioned my premade because they're smart enough to follow a winning strat, which is night and day considering how hard it is to get nubs in PUGs to follow the strat because they still believe Codex is the holy grail to winning, when it isn't. By the time you've fought over Codex, and I've capped the other three, we're already up 100+ points, and after Codex has switched hands a few times, and I've continued to cap the other three, my team is up 300 points, and now the enemy has no chance of catching back up.

    You played your hand by showing any opposition to the fact, that I'm right.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-08-2011 at 05:12 PM.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  9. #9
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
    Because of people like this one ,we have a mess in warfonts..
    He speaks the truth.

    I spend most Codex matches stealthing from node to node (excluding Codex) assaulting them and defending them while they flip. It works better if my team actually supports what I'm doing and sends people to contested nodes to defend them, but even if they don't I'm cutting the enemy's point gain every time I assault a node and on those occasions where I can defend it until it flips, I earn a few points for my team.

    Trouble is, what usually happens is that I'll assault a node and the enemy will send 2-3 people (or more) to take it back while the rest of their team fights at Codex. I can't hold 2-3 people by myself so I just move on to the next node. And on and on it goes while the rest of my team just keeps throwing themselves at Codex because they think that's what they need to be doing. (Super double bonus points if the enemy sends a pair of rogues to assault Statue and everyone on my team just rides by on their way to Codex. I see that happen a lot (too much)).

    If my team has enough people with a clue to leave Codex and focus on the other three, it usually leads to either a four-cap, or we wind up with Codex + two nodes and a massive scrum around the last node, all the while we're accumulating the points and the enemy team is scrambling to figure out a response. It's a lot more fun that way, and sure beats the hell out of GY -> Codex -> GY -> Codex all match.

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Yup a team of good rogues wins codex, they camp vault statue and scope and ignore codex.
    Ive won majority of my codexs this way and till the battlegrp merge that destroyed pvp on our shard, we won most.

    a good rogue does more for the team in codex then a good healer.

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eire View Post
    Yup a team of good rogues wins codex, they camp vault statue and scope and ignore codex.
    Ive won majority of my codexs this way and till the battlegrp merge that destroyed pvp on our shard, we won most.

    a good rogue does more for the team in codex then a good healer.
    Reasonably smart team knows that the second real advantage of codex is positioning. Control codex and not only do you have a point advantage for that point but ease of access to all 3 flags from that point. Keeping codex + watching the battlefield and launching tactical sorties will win easily. If the enemy attacks you en masse outside of codex you retreat to just under codex near the water where codex players can support you with ranged attacks and heals from relative safety.

    Codex isn't NEEDED to win, but used properly it makes it alot easier.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randell44 View Post
    Reasonably smart team knows that the second real advantage of codex is positioning. Control codex and not only do you have a point advantage for that point but ease of access to all 3 flags from that point. Keeping codex + watching the battlefield and launching tactical sorties will win easily. If the enemy attacks you en masse outside of codex you retreat to just under codex near the water where codex players can support you with ranged attacks and heals from relative safety.

    Codex isn't NEEDED to win, but used properly it makes it alot easier.
    You're wrong. Controlling Codex puts you at risk to casters who can sit on the high ground, and constant flow of 1-2 redballs, which make a huge difference, even after the nerf. The reason you can control the other three, using the rock in front of Vault as a staging point to move out from, is becuase you always have a group of noobs who will sit on Codex the entire match, meaning you will always outnumber your enemy by controlling the other three.

    It's much easier to control the bottom three, if everyone is playing as a team.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  13. #13
    General of Telara Belterra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    993

    Default

    While you're right that Statue+Scope+Vault gives more points than codex alone, codex+any other point gives more, which makes it the primary goal. However, if you don't hold 3/4 of the points you need codex to win, unless you're a very skilled team, which is not the minority I wanted to adress here. Dragging a Codex hungry team back and forth between codex and another point means you control the whole field.
    Last edited by Belterra; 06-08-2011 at 06:00 PM.


    You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

  14. #14
    Shield of Telara Znick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    Every time our premade enters into a Codex, we win every single time without ever owning Codex, once. Your point?
    You win because you're in a premade. You'd likely win with or without Codex.

    However, comtrolling codex and one more is the best way to win. (but it's not the "only" way)

    Mathematically and strategically two points needed is better than 2.5 or 3, especially when codex gives the most points.

    The same skilled team with the same coordination has a better chance of winning if codex is one of their held spots.

    Z

    The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

  15. #15
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Znick View Post
    You win because you're in a premade. You'd likely win with or without Codex.

    However, comtrolling codex and one more is the best way to win. (but it's not the "only" way)

    Mathematically and strategically two points needed is better than 2.5 or 3, especially when codex gives the most points.

    The same skilled team with the same coordination has a better chance of winning if codex is one of their held spots.

    Z
    Codex doesn't give the most points though because you spend more time fighting over it in the beginning, without it ever ticking points. Then there are the times it changes hands where you get no points either.

    Try this sometime, as a solo player. Have someone take vault, while you take the enemies flag. By the time Codex is clicked, and starts giving points (unless it is ninja'd) you will have gained 50-100 points by then. That's a HUGE leap in points, for little, to no effort if done correctly.

    With people going straigth to the enemy flag, they don't get any points for it.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-08-2011 at 06:09 PM.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts