+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Port Scion - Explanation on PvE Mechanics?

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default Port Scion - Explanation on PvE Mechanics?

Hi everyone. Our server cluster was recently merged with another and the dominant strategy in PS immediately changed from holding bridge and running shards, to PvE Boss Zerg. I think its stupid and lame, but that's for another thread.

Since every single PS game is now PvE-only, I guess its time I learned how the mechanics work. Here's my understanding thus far:
    1. Idols give the boss a buff that reduces his damage taken. Each idol is guarded by an elite Lieutenant who has no value or purpose except to slow you down.
    2. Killing an idol awards your team points and removes the buff on the boss.
    3. When an idol is killed another elite is spawned which runs to the location of the idol and attempts to "resurrect" it. The NPC does not fight while rezzing it, but will begin defend the idol once he rezzes it. If the idol is resurrected, the boss regains his damage reduction buff.
    4. Once both idols have been destroyed, the boss is vulnerable. He can then be tanked normally and killed. Killing both idols also creates a barricade between the enemy spawn point and their boss, preventing them from coming up behind him.

Do I have all the points correct? Is it possible to kill the 2nd idol and then zerg down the boss before the elite comes to rez it, or do you pretty much have to kill the elite before killing the boss? Are there any other strategies or mechanics to know about, or advice for winning?

Basically, every game both teams slam into each other, trying to get to the idols nearest the porticulum. Defiant loses this battle 100% of the time because Clerics dont play Defiant, so we then get the bridge while Guardians kill our first idol. We then try to play PvE catchup and intercept guardians who die, while controlling the bridge, so they have to run past us.

We lose about 80% of the time with this strategy. Attacking the Guardian zerg is pointless/impossible and they won't engage us except to defend their PvE'ing anyway. Need to make sure our strategy is the best one given the ****ty situation. And see what we can do to win more.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Hi everyone. Our server cluster was recently merged with another and the dominant strategy in PS immediately changed from holding bridge and running shards, to PvE Boss Zerg. I think its stupid and lame, but that's for another thread.

Since every single PS game is now PvE-only, I guess its time I learned how the mechanics work. Here's my understanding thus far:
    1. Idols give the boss a buff that reduces his damage taken. Each idol is guarded by an elite Lieutenant who has no value or purpose except to slow you down.
    2. Killing an idol awards your team points and removes the buff on the boss.
    3. When an idol is killed another elite is spawned which runs to the location of the idol and attempts to "resurrect" it. The NPC does not fight while rezzing it, but will begin defend the idol once he rezzes it. If the idol is resurrected, the boss regains his damage reduction buff.
    4. Once both idols have been destroyed, the boss is vulnerable. He can then be tanked normally and killed. Killing both idols also creates a barricade between the enemy spawn point and their boss, preventing them from coming up behind him.

Do I have all the points correct? Is it possible to kill the 2nd idol and then zerg down the boss before the elite comes to rez it, or do you pretty much have to kill the elite before killing the boss? Are there any other strategies or mechanics to know about, or advice for winning?

Basically, every game both teams slam into each other, trying to get to the idols nearest the porticulum. Defiant loses this battle 100% of the time because Clerics dont play Defiant, so we then get the bridge while Guardians kill our first idol. We then try to play PvE catchup and intercept guardians who die, while controlling the bridge, so they have to run past us.

We lose about 80% of the time with this strategy. Attacking the Guardian zerg is pointless/impossible and they won't engage us except to defend their PvE'ing anyway. Need to make sure our strategy is the best one given the ****ty situation. And see what we can do to win more.
    Since the recent changes to this WF, I've seen nothing but PVE alterac valley idol/boss rushing. To me, it is un-playably boring. I feel your pain.

Yeah the PvE'rs from Reclaim have completely destroyed the GOOD PvP Deepstrike had in our Cluster. They act like they're afraid to PvP.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

Idol + LT.
    Mini-Boss.
    Idol + LT.
    Mini-Boss.
    Boss.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Port Scion went from awesome to pure trash in one day. It's been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    Yeah the PvE'rs from Reclaim have completely destroyed the GOOD PvP Deepstrike had in our Cluster. They act like they're afraid to PvP.
    You can thank me for that.

EDIT: I am Reclaimer's first R6 and I only raid six hours a week so I'm not just a PvEr. I'm sorry if you can't adapt and evolve to the changes made to Port Scion.

EDIT#2: Reclaimer has a lot of solid PvPers - So it's no wonder we're doing so well.

Really? You were there when we engaged your zerg and crushed it. I remember firmly stomping my sabatons onto the back of your Bahmi head after I pushed you down to the curb.
    Last edited by Horrigan; 06-02-2011 at 02:17 PM.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."
    Basileus of The Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Plexs View Post
    Port Scion went from awesome to pure trash in one day. It's been fun.
    Yeah these guys from Reclaimer only want to PvE, and they don't even realize it gives the least amount of favor, and prestige.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    Topeka Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Horrigan View Post
    You can thank me for that.
    Yeah this scrub thinks us winning, and getting less than 900 favor and prestige is some how an accomplishment. They need to seperate the servers again. When we won before this scrub showed up, we got 3000-6000 in prestige a win.

I don't know why you guys are so afraid to PvP.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-02-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Topeka Photography

Yeah these guys from Reclaimer only want to PvE, and they don't even realize it gives the least amount of favor, and prestige.

You Guys almost done complaining.....

WAHHHHHHH!

Bunnie- Reclaimer

I think you guys will be OK.

“The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during war.”
    Skivvy of The Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Thanata View Post
    You Guys almost done complaining.....

WAHHHHHHH!

Bunnie- Reclaimer
    Go to a PvE server, you don't belong on a PvP server. We used to PvP until you PvE'rs come along. We won before this foolishness, and now we're winning with the PvE way, we just enjoy winning the right way, the PvP way.

Go to a PvE server already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystroy View Post
    I think you guys will be OK.
    Not if you guys keep on insisting the carebear way to win. Those wins suck for me, and I want the PvP win, the wins that net far more prestige, and favor, and involve PvP.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-02-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Topeka Photography

Rift Disciple

When you kill the idol/flux the elite which arrive is one of two that stands by the boss all the time, i think you can kill them before taking out the flux if you want to. (ie you can have half your group taking out the idol and the other half taking out the elite at the same time)

The elite dragon thing that guards the southern source stone is worth 50pts and the elite which stands on the balacony of the church which you get a quest for is worth 100pts. If you kill the church elite it spawns an elite at your boss in addition to the points " the giant robot (defiant) or sir reg something (guardian). Its a good way to help wipe an attack on your boss or support an attack on the enemys boss.

For quests i think its every two that are handed in spawn 2 NPC's which go on the rampage. So if your group hand in a lot of quests at one time you can get a task force of 10 or 20 NPC's to lead the attack on the enemy.

From what ive been told stones have a value of 30pts which drops by 10pts for each flux/idol taken out.
    Last edited by Crazybull; 06-02-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Yeah this scrub thinks us winning, and getting less than 900 favor and prestige is some how an accomplishment. They need to seperate the servers again. When we won before this scrub showed up, we got 3000-6000 in prestige a win.

I don't know why you guys are so afraid to PvP.
    I've been rank since for months. I couldn't care less.

I like to win - Get used to losing when you're against us in a Port Scion boy.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."
    Basileus of The Enclave

I'm on your side Mr. I'm not so smart.

Yeah 5 wins in a row now, and I got less favor, and prestige, than when we won ONE MATCH before you showed up. This is stupid.

Don't be afraid to PvP dude, seriously. They have PvE servers for you.

When LOTD and Malevolence get a double premade in there, I'm not healing you guys, instead I'm going to watch them roll you, and they will. Just hang in there, this evening they'll be spanking you, and I'll be laughing.
    Last edited by Visions; 06-02-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Topeka Photography

"Rank since"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast