+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PvP/PvE UO style

Shadowlander

Default PvP/PvE UO style

Why can't more games come out like old school pre trammel ultimaonline..
    Even when factions came out Ultima had it right .. nothen i have ever played matched the fun i had back in that game ...Does anyone know of a game that comes close to it ?

i loved UO, hosted our own shards in australia was a awesome experience.

Trammel killed the game for me. My first and MMO and still the most fondly remembered.
    Playtime - p4x Guardian Rogue - Bloodiron
    Sma - p4x Guardian Mage - Bloodiron

Shadowlander

I know Richard Garret AkA Lord Brittish miss's his old game also and is making a Return to brittaina MMO.
    Cant call it Ultima cause he sold the Name rights to Ultima Online too EA.

Shadowlander

uo was great because everyone had a 7x gm swords mage. pvp was balanced because everyone had essentially the same char less you had a dexer which meant you sucked at pvp. Pre trammel when we were able to precast spells and put on the halberd before lumberjacking became a viable option was when uo was at its greatest. but a game like that wouldnt be successful now with all the wow kiddies they wouldnt understand wtf was going on when they died and all their epic lewtz would be taken. also the turning red when you were a murderer system with bounty boards and will never be matched in all its glory.

Quote Originally Posted by dolmar View Post
    Even when factions came out Ultima had it right .. nothen i have ever played matched the fun i had back in that game ...Does anyone know of a game that comes close to it ?
    UO does.

Old-school player run servers are still out there. In Por Ylem relaunched recently (though Az went pretty crazy with changes and custom additions, it barely feels like classic UO anymore), Angel Island is still going (classic-based with good custom additions) and has added a Mortals-only shard (your character gets deleted if you die, player who accumulates the most wealth by the end-date wins a cash prize) and is building an era-accurate Siege Perilous shard to launch at a later date.
    Last edited by -Swag-; 06-02-2011 at 05:31 AM.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

I know Richard Garret AkA Lord Brittish miss's his old game also and is making a Return to brittaina MMO.
    Cant call it Ultima cause he sold the Name rights to Ultima Online too EA.
    Not an MMO. It's going to be a "social network" game.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Misterjingo View Post
    Trammel killed the game for me. My first and MMO and still the most fondly remembered.
    Yep. I quit a couple weeks after Trammel and switched to player-run servers. Been playing almost non-stop ever since.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Killacam View Post
    uo was great because everyone had a 7x gm swords mage. pvp was balanced because everyone had essentially the same char less you had a dexer which meant you sucked at pvp. Pre trammel when we were able to precast spells and put on the halberd before lumberjacking became a viable option was when uo was at its greatest. but a game like that wouldnt be successful now with all the wow kiddies they wouldnt understand wtf was going on when they died and all their epic lewtz would be taken. also the turning red when you were a murderer system with bounty boards and will never be matched in all its glory.
    I just loved the freedom. I mainly played a thief (wrestle/disarm etc), and man, no game has met the shear adrenaline you felt when you made a big steal (house deeds etc) and tried to make your escape. Or stealing a ship key and clearing them out.

My first taste of the nature of this game was as a newbie hunting east of Britain with another new guy. We were being killed by a giant snake and someone shouted to follow him, we followed him into a house to escape. He locked the door and then killed us both, looting our corpses! Loosing all your gear was a huge thing to a new player, but it was a lesson learnt!

Can't see this type of game ever happening again.
    Last edited by Misterjingo; 06-02-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    Playtime - p4x Guardian Rogue - Bloodiron
    Sma - p4x Guardian Mage - Bloodiron

Plane Touched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl_fAjmLmA

Quote Originally Posted by Misterjingo View Post
    Can't see this type of game ever happening again.
    I miss the days before lockdowns, secures and the "I ban thee" bullsh*t. The game, and player housing as an MMO system, was at it's best when players were responsible for maintaining security in their extra storage space.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Shield of Telara

It wasn't just the PvP. It was everything in UO.

The Crafting was fantastic when you think about it.

People actually played Crafters, not like on MMO's now. Completely different.

I did hear from someone there was an MMO in progress that was similar to UO but updated with graphis and more, but using the same basic outline, skills, crafting, etc..

Prophet of Telara

Vendor Buy Bank Guards

Corp Por
    Val ort something or other...

Never could really get into an OSI shard (though I came to UO late), but did have a couple private shards I enjoyed playing on.

I think Shadowbane and Darkfall probably were the closest attempts to UO style play in recent years, but of course they had their own issues - and generally a hardcore pvp game these days is just going to be a small niche game to begin with.

SWG (pre-NGE anyway, since I stopped before that) probably had the best crafting/non-combat setup of recent MMOs... I actually had a lot of fun as a musician in a 'band' as an alt... complete with regular dancers (some of whom made a fair bit more than the musicians did in tips...)
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but I think I'm over "Full-Loot" games.

FFA I can still get along with, as well as dropping all non-equipped items, but semi-recently playing Darkfall I had an epiphany regarding full-loot. Namely that most people spent damn near all of their time, making, hoarding, sorting, and replacing junk loot in their banks, and hardly any of their actual play-time PvPing.

Sad really, but it is what it is.

What I miss most out of UO was how damn near every object in the game was able to be interacted with. Books could be read, or wrote, mounts had to be taken care of, weapons were made from scratch, etc.

Themeparks are fun, for a bit at least, but nothing like that old school sandbox feel.
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

Quote Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
    Corp Por
    Kal Vas Flam you nub
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast