+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Is skipping the r3/4 set efficient/viable?

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default Is skipping the r3/4 set efficient/viable?

    When I hit 40 on my cleric, I noticed favor was pretty easy and somewhat fast to obtain from doing WFs. My plan was to farm the 120k favor for a full set of r1/2 by the time I hit 50 so I'm good to go for entry pvp gear (I realize I'll have to wait til r2 for half the set). I figured this would be pretty efficient since I'd be leveling to 50 and getting favor at the same time. What I was wondering is how big of an upgrade is the r3/4 gear? Is it worth it to spend favor on pieces if you already have full r1/2? Or would it be a better idea to just save all favor for r5/6? I don't have a 50, so I have no idea if it takes a really long time from rank to rank.

    edit: Would it be more viable to not buy r1/2 and tough it out with crap gear until 3/4?
    Last edited by Ickz; 06-02-2011 at 02:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    480

    Default

    That's for you to decide really, depending on how easy you are to kill and how that is ruining the game for you to the point of giving up.

    Your healing team will definitely be less happy because you'll be a higher maintenance target, but then again the veterans know who's worth keeping alive and who's not so much and act accordingly.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    In my opinion level 50 rogue, full prestige 6 gear.. you need prestige 4 to get the valor bonus... playing on pvp / pve shows what you need to do.. however, from prestige 4 you should start saving for p6... knowing this as i have earned over 1,600,000 favor but still.. work on getting everything at that level!!! and by the time you got all p2 armour and are p3. you can start on that set.. by the time your half way there and i have won a mjority of your WF you should be able to get the p3 armour |ETC|

    Enjoy!

  4. #4
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Do you get enough favor leveling from r1 to r4 to buy all the r3/4 pieces?

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer Kutsuu Isback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,968

    Default

    It's painful, and not very efficient, but viable if you want the full R5/R6 set when you ding R6.

    I just bought a few pieces when I was low rank and still had bad gear, and will now have to farm ~250-300k favor after dinging R6 to finish my set, not including weapon/ranged since I have raid weapons instead.
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/kutsmuffinsig.png

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Do you get enough favor leveling from r1 to r4 to buy all the r3/4 pieces?
    The 150k favor cap is the problem. No matter the rank you can't go beyond it. I'm attempting something similar on my cleric. After Rerolling from my 50 Sin, I purchased all the rank 1&2 gear as I could afford it. Bought nothing at rank 3 and am having to purchase rank 4 gear because I'm at the cap. The idea is to go into rank 5 and 6 with max favor so as to maximize the value of my favor.

    You will gain favor at a faster rate than prestige in regards to rank vs favor cap so I would spend it as needed for what is the best upgrade. In my experience I had about 180k worth of extra favor from rank 4-5 I had to consume due to the favor cap. I would use that as a gauge in investing your favor in rank 4 gear.

    FYI this is a difficult way to approach it. Expect to be frustrated in WF's if you don't have a solid premade because you are constantly second guessing wether or not it would be worth investing in the valor. We'll see if it pays off when I am instantly rewarded with multiple pieces of current endgame gear once I hit rank 5 & 6.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post
    The 150k favor cap is the problem. No matter the rank you can't go beyond it. I'm attempting something similar on my cleric. After Rerolling from my 50 Sin, I purchased all the rank 1&2 gear as I could afford it. Bought nothing at rank 3 and am having to purchase rank 4 gear because I'm at the cap. The idea is to go into rank 5 and 6 with max favor so as to maximize the value of my favor.

    You will gain favor at a faster rate than prestige in regards to rank vs favor cap so I would spend it as needed for what is the best upgrade. In my experience I had about 180k worth of extra favor from rank 4-5 I had to consume due to the favor cap. I would use that as a gauge in investing your favor in rank 4 gear.

    FYI this is a difficult way to approach it. Expect to be frustrated in WF's if you don't have a solid premade because you are constantly second guessing wether or not it would be worth investing in the valor. We'll see if it pays off when I am instantly rewarded with multiple pieces of current endgame gear once I hit rank 5 & 6.
    Best thing to do is get rank 1 and 2 and 2 items from rank 3

    then start getting rank 5 items and after you get all go for rank 6 (you will be needing around 50-80k to complete rank 5 items when you hit rank 5) .

  8. #8
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post
    Bought nothing at rank 3 and am having to purchase rank 4 gear because I'm at the cap. The idea is to go into rank 5 and 6 with max favor so as to maximize the value of my favor.
    FYI, you can purchase rank 5/6 gear before you hit rank 5/6, you just can't equip it. Throw it in the bank until you hit rank 5. You don't HAVE to buy rank 4 gear.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Framer View Post
    Best thing to do is get rank 1 and 2 and 2 items from rank 3

    then start getting rank 5 items and after you get all go for rank 6 (you will be needing around 50-80k to complete rank 5 items when you hit rank 5) .
    Agree to an extent. This would make sense if the 2 items from rank 3 were worth a combined 180k favor. Which I'm not sure there is. I purchased the rank 4 weapon, both rings and pants out of rank 4 and I still might have more favor to spend. It really depends on win/loss rate and prestige/favor income. I'm almost rank 5, should be there by tomorrow.

    My best suggestion is if you want to save favor for rank 5 and 6, purchase all of rank 1 & 2 gear and spend around 160-200k in ranks 3 and 4 on whatever seems viable and you should be close to the favor cap when you hit rank 5. If you need to save more do so and if you need to spend more do so, cuz if you don't use it you lose everything over 150k. Complete the set of rank 5 gear and then start on rank 6.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Couple of things to consider, having faced these issues myself and felt the frustration.

    1. The R1/R2 gear is a nice upgrade from the greens and blues you arrive at level 50 with. The pieces are very cheap and have valor on them. With just R1/R2 gear you reach about 19% damage reduction.

    2. Its a long way to R4 from R1 if you're consistently taking a beating in blues and greens or PVE epics. If you can't put out enough dps to kill anyone, or survive long enough to take a few enemies with you on the way down, what fun is PVP?

    3. I find that R3 and R4 are not amazing upgrades over R1/R2 when taking into account the looming future cost of R5 and R6, and the increased cost of R3/R4 pieces. The improvement per favor over R1/R2really hurts. If you play melee, which I don't anymore, the R4 weapon may or may not be a good choice, but at 80k favor, its still pricy.

    4. Stacking favor is a huge grind. Building 50/80/100k for that next piece makes me wish I had saved more, like give me back the 50k for the dang Scion faction horse. Please?

    5. This probably applies to many favor stackers: you can buy R5 and R6 gear without actually being R5/R6, so the cap, while not meaningless, is less of a hindrance. I bought the R6 mage staff at R4 and banked it.

    Cheers-

    Seven/Defiant/US-Tearfall

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoli View Post
    FYI, you can purchase rank 5/6 gear before you hit rank 5/6, you just can't equip it. Throw it in the bank until you hit rank 5. You don't HAVE to buy rank 4 gear.
    Yes, I considered this, but it's tough to pay for something and just watch it collect dust as I could purchase something else and immediately put it into play and it could assist me to gain prestige faster. I couldn't imagine buying all my rank 5 and 6 gear and struggle my *** off to get there. I'm willing to an extent to invest in the gear but to spend my hard earned favor on gear that will take me possibly weeks longer to wear is tough to accept. You must be a patient, patient man.

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Also it took me a while into rank 4 to figure out that I could purchase rank 5 and 6 gear, but since I was invested I figured I would continue to upgrade as needed. Also at rank 4 I'm more concerned with prestige than favor, but I'm assuming this will all change once I hit rank 6 and I'll want my favor back.

    Maybe saving all the favor after the initial set of ranks 1&2 is worth it. Once again it takes someone with patience and a lot of it to get there. From rank 3-5 that has to be a minimum of 50 hours of game time with constant queue's. And that's if you win your share. Maybe, if you had a strong premade that was willing to pull you up to rank 5 quickly.

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post
    Yes, I considered this, but it's tough to pay for something and just watch it collect dust as I could purchase something else and immediately put it into play and it could assist me to gain prestige faster. I couldn't imagine buying all my rank 5 and 6 gear and struggle my *** off to get there. I'm willing to an extent to invest in the gear but to spend my hard earned favor on gear that will take me possibly weeks longer to wear is tough to accept. You must be a patient, patient man.
    Well it only took me about 2 1/2 weeks to hit rank 5 on my assassin, and I barely PvPd with that character before I hit 50. This was before 1.2 though, so I had a full set of rank 2/3 gear, there was no rank 1 gear.

  14. #14
    Champion Vaeranth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Just use a combination of BOE epics and R1/2 gear @ fresh 50, hit R4 -> get weapons, then start buying R6 gear.

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    I'm finding that with full R1/2 gear (and blue weapons D:<) that I'm able to make a contribution in most warfronts. I'm noticeably less squishy than I was even before I could equip the rank 2 gear, and while my ratio of kills to killing blows has plummeted since the 40-49 bracket, I still find ways to assist my team.

    Now, I'm 30/90k prestige towards rank 3. I have a little over 60k favor set aside towards R5/6 pieces, and I have no intention whatsoever of buying rank 3/4 pieces. I'm not going to set myself back hours upon hours of favor farming for the sake of an additional 4% damage reduction and a bit of extra damage output from buying R4 weapons. I'd rather farm Codex to revered and get the notoriety weapons for 9k favor each and keep pushing towards the final stages of gearing.

    R6 chest and legs alone will run over 200k favor. The other three pieces are 80k each. If I spent the favor I have now (and will earn through rank 2 and 3) on rank 3/4 gear, I'd hit rank 5/6 and be kicking myself right the way through to full R6 gear.

    I'll buy rank 5 pieces as the favor comes, but 3/4? No way, dood.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts