+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: More player control equal better pvp

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    337

    Default More player control equal better pvp

    Why does pvp suck? Well because you have very little control over anything that happens to you in it.
    You have no control over:
    1) Being targeted
    2) Blocking
    3) Parrying

    PVP would be infinitely better with just these 3 things being controlled by the player. A ranged DPS wouldn't be as effective if the target wasn't auto targeted and could actually parry or block and incoming barage of arrows.

    Lets actually institute some real skill into the game and not rely on pure number crunching and gear to decide the outcome.

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    280

    Default

    It would be called FPS then and not MMO and theres a s..tload of those on market already...go play one

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bltzkrieg666 View Post
    Why does pvp suck? Well because you have very little control over anything that happens to you in it.
    You have no control over:
    1) Being targeted
    2) Blocking
    3) Parrying

    PVP would be infinitely better with just these 3 things being controlled by the player. A ranged DPS wouldn't be as effective if the target wasn't auto targeted and could actually parry or block and incoming barage of arrows.

    Lets actually institute some real skill into the game and not rely on pure number crunching and gear to decide the outcome.
    I agree it would be nice. In Guild Wars you were able to greatly increase your chance to dodge bolt type spells and projectiles by strafing. This was a nice mechanic because it added an element of action to whats basically another tab target MMO.

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by segro View Post
    It would be called FPS then and not MMO and theres a s..tload of those on market already...go play one
    First of all you are wrong on all accounts. Way to go Einstein. FPS=first person shooter. This game is neither First person nor is it a shooter. Secondly MMO means Massive Multiplayer Online. Pretty sure this game is still that regardless of control aspects.

    You must not play many MMO's do you. There are other MMORPGS that are either First person or as you like to put it FPS. Immortal online is a 1st person MMORPG. Darkfall online is an MMORPG that doesn't use the traditional classbase system and the combat is very much like i describe.

    Age of Conan is also an MMORPG that offers alot of player control in the combat scheme. I suggest you play some more MMO's other than the WOW derivitives you clearly only play.

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhaizen View Post
    I agree it would be nice. In Guild Wars you were able to greatly increase your chance to dodge bolt type spells and projectiles by strafing. This was a nice mechanic because it added an element of action to whats basically another tab target MMO.
    Hey, its not like I am asking for the world right? When I play a video game, I WANT TO PLAY. I don't want to have the game play for me. I don't understand why game devs keep utilizing the same failed combat mechanic for PVP.

    MMORPG's like rift and warhammer and yes, Wow have a tried and true game mechanic that works just fine for PVE. It doesn't work in PVP and everyone know this. Time and time again the same arguments arise in chat or on forums and yet the devs keep making the same mistakes.

    If you want PVP in your game then do it correctly. You don't see games like CoD or sports games like Madden or Fighters like Tekken purposely create unfair advantages for 1 player over another. Its not acceptable there so why is it so widely accepted in the world of MMO's?

  6. #6
    Sez
    Sez is offline
    Ascendant Sez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    "This one time, at band camp, a game did something better than rift."



    Ok, with that out of the way, lets have some constructive criticism:

    This won't work unless they over-haul the entire game's combat system. That is just not going to happen. Sorry.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

    - Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    131

    Default

    You may want to look into Mount & Blade as well. You can block incoming arrows there (with shield, no silly parrying arrows), and the archers need to account for arrowdrop, leading targets etc.

    No spells or such, just medieval combat but I'd expect that's as close as you get to a skill based first person game that doesn't actually involve guns (well, apart from the newest version of game and any number of mods.. some have lightsabers).

    --
    There's some mod/spinoff/such that has leveling up between games, gaining money as you perform etc. Start as a peasant without armor and go against knights in full plate. Kind of like rank1 vs rank6, except worse.. or so I hear ;)

  8. #8
    Rift Master GriffonHawke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by segro View Post
    It would be called FPS then and not MMO and theres a s..tload of those on market already...go play one
    This guy thought the defenition of FPS was For People with Skill.

  9. #9
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Since this is a character progression game where you manage your character and your character actually does things, I disagree that more player control would make it better.

    It would make it a different game entirely.

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bltzkrieg666 View Post
    Why does pvp suck? Well because you have very little control over anything that happens to you in it.
    You have no control over:
    1) Being targeted
    2) Blocking
    3) Parrying

    PVP would be infinitely better with just these 3 things being controlled by the player. A ranged DPS wouldn't be as effective if the target wasn't auto targeted and could actually parry or block and incoming barage of arrows.

    Lets actually institute some real skill into the game and not rely on pure number crunching and gear to decide the outcome.
    no sorry go back to the console. If you don't have the ability to understand the situation your really in then leave.

    Skill is and never will be point shoot.

    MMORPG are the closests things to actual sports that there has even been. Small group 5v5, 8v8, 20 v 20.

    Tom Brady can't play linebacker

    Ray Lewis can't play quarterback.

    sorry all the console kiddies from wow hate the learning curve.

    It's best to leave now as GW2 is shaping up to be a holy ****fest. None of you will even be able to GvG, and it's obvious.

    dont leave your wii or WoW, there are VERY mean places coming up...

  11. #11
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bltzkrieg666 View Post
    First of all you are wrong on all accounts. Way to go Einstein. FPS=first person shooter. This game is neither First person nor is it a shooter. Secondly MMO means Massive Multiplayer Online. Pretty sure this game is still that regardless of control aspects.

    You must not play many MMO's do you. There are other MMORPGS that are either First person or as you like to put it FPS. Immortal online is a 1st person MMORPG. Darkfall online is an MMORPG that doesn't use the traditional classbase system and the combat is very much like i describe.

    Age of Conan is also an MMORPG that offers alot of player control in the combat scheme. I suggest you play some more MMO's other than the WOW derivitives you clearly only play.
    You CAN make camera in this game to play it from first person perspective, fact that you don't know how proves how smart you really are

    I think I forgot more MMOs that I played that you actually played, Fact that you mentioned Age of Conan in positive context is hilarious, that game was so horrible that it'll probably stay forever at bottom of my realization/expectations ratio

    Go back to Wii as someone already suggested, as you clearly don't understand why people play MMOs

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser inaliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Yes let's redesign the entire game so you hit a button to parry/dodge an attack. Where do you people come from with these off the wall suggestions that would never happen?

    Oh and these things are already in the game they are called abilities. For instance if you want to dodge an attack hit Side Steps.
    Last edited by inaliz; 06-01-2011 at 11:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts