Closed Thread

Thread: The problem with PVP and why I've unsubbed.

Default The problem with PVP and why I've unsubbed.

This is gonna be long and rambling, and some things will be difficult for me to explain well - so apologies off the bat.. But I've finally unsubbed - and am disappointed to have done so because Rift had a lot of potential to be a great PVP game.. Potential which has now gone with the path Trion has taken.

So for anyone who cares - here's my ramblings of what I think is wrong with PVP in Rift and why it will Never be fixed.
    • The obvious one - Despite indications that PVPers would be catered for pre-release, I havn't seen anything since release indicating that the Dev's are putting any effort into PVP.

• Gear based PvP Progression. This made it a grind rather than a pleasure. It makes it a race to keep up with the bulk of the pvp population so you can stay competetive. That race also makes Open PVP less desireable because WF's are simply much faster for Favor/Prestige.
      It's also flawed from the outset.. Giving the more successful players more advantages is just wrong in a PVP environment which lumps all 50's together.

• Only 4 Warfronts.. Not enough when you look at the next point.

• No open PvP. it's not just that there is no incentive - but there is also a dis-incentive (is that a word?) as the time spent looking for open-world fights = lost Prestige/Favor from WF's

• Crafting is pointless, the epic crafted stuff not worth having - so I've stopped even farming mats/doing dailies.. Just one more thing limiting me to WF's.

• Valor doesn't work as a concept. Giving all classes survivability is wrong imho - it should be limited to defensive builds - ie those that have to sacrifice dmg for survivability. Other than that, there is no real survivability stat in Rift (unlike WAR's Toughness to directly counter attackers STR or INT. There it was kind of limited based on your class and you generally had to sacrifice an equivalent amount of offensive stat in your build to get it) - so the core problem is dmg scaling up as better gear is introduced with more raids. The Valor solution is a band-aid - and not a good one. As dmg goes up, so will Valor have to to stop the 1-shots - making gear more and more essential for PVP as the game matures.

• Following on from above, Gear progression in PVP discourages new 50's who want to try PVP. It will get worse as the game matures and more people get higher ranks and more gear/higher ranks become available to equate to the extra raid content. Not good for the longevity of PVP at all.

• Warrior tanks need a point in PVP (Just a personal beef there - since that was my original main). Seems there is a lack of imagination in limiting them to be dps. Seems wrong that I can make my rogue more tanky (admittedly using long cooldowns) while still having decent dps and utility, but warriors have to give up everything for survivability. The problem here is that Rogues get 1 tank soul that works vs all dmg types - warr's have to use multiple tank souls for that.

• I liked the levelling part of the game - but hate farming dungeons. I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth for a bad instanced-PVP game with limited maps and flawed system/progression that will only get worse as the game gets older.

• World Of Tanks provides a free, PVP, WF-like game with progression - which has depth. And not only does it have more maps, but it also seperates premades from solo queues and also only queues you with others within a similar tier range. Yes, you have to aim - but it's a huge breath of fresh air not to have all the problems endemic in Rift's PVP.

• There are plenty of single-player MMO's that give me the levelling/story/quest game I like too. And there's no subscription.

• I only really tried Rift as a filler between WAR and either GW or SW:TOR - but it's even failed at that.

Sorry and all, I wanted Rift to work - but unless you want to farm dungeons, it fails.

TLDR: The whole system is flawed in respect to PVP, and not fixable imho.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 05-31-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    • Warrior tanks need a point in PVP (Just a personal beef there - since that was my original main). Seems there is a lack of imagination in limiting them to be dps. Seems wrong that I can make my rogue more tanky (admittedly using long cooldowns) while still having decent dps and utility, but warriors have to give up everything for survivability. The problem here is that Rogues get 1 tank soul that works vs all dmg types - warr's have to use multiple tank souls for that.
    Warrior tanks are the strongest support class ingame right after healers in pvp atm.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by abr4 View Post
    Warrior tanks are the strongest support class ingame right after healers in pvp atm.
    Agreed. They seem to be the new FOTM as well, I see them all over in WFs lately. They are damn near impossible to kill with a non-caster class. A sin will just kill themselves from the blocked bleed damage.

Plane Touched

Especially annoying in PUGs where people just attack the first person they see in a Warfront which on a map like Black Garden is the 10k hp Warrior leaping into the group trying to get as many nubs as possible to hit him.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jaekal View Post
    Especially annoying in PUGs where people just attack the first person they see in a Warfront which on a map like Black Garden is the 10k hp Warrior leaping into the group trying to get as many nubs as possible to hit him.
    LOL, that always works too.

I do not understand why pugs cannot grasp the concept of "kill healers first".
    Last edited by Stevoli; 05-31-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaekal View Post
    Great reply I would give you a gold star for this.

I mean it ties right in with the original post.
    Last edited by McWaffle; 05-31-2011 at 06:10 AM.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Click to watch my vidyas.
    140 + PvP, oPvP, PvE all classes.

World Of Tanks provides a free, PVP, WF-like game with progression - which has depth. And not only does it have more maps, but it also seperates premades from solo queues and also only queues you with others within a similar tier range. Yes, you have to aim - but it's a huge breath of fresh air not to have all the problems endemic in Rift's PVP.
    So your alternative to pvp in a fantasy MMO is a WW2 tank game ? Thanks for unsubscribing. Rift was not the game for you to begin with. At least go play Age of Conan now while its ftp.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoli View Post
    Agreed. They seem to be the new FOTM as well, I see them all over in WFs lately. They are damn near impossible to kill with a non-caster class. A sin will just kill themselves from the blocked bleed damage.
    eradicate seems to help with the 100's of buffs they appear to have .

but on the original topic I agree with the sorry state of PVP at the moment and I agree on every point you made except for the valor change. I have 573 valor right now which is about 22% reduction to damage and I still die in 5+ seconds so without the valor I would be dead in 2 -5 seconds.

I don't think we have enough valor or some souls just hit too damn hard.

Default Bye bye 1 less QQ

Thanks for the bye bye QQ, have fun and be umm whatever you want :P
    Have you ever wanted to?

Hi everyone,

We understand and respect that sometimes people will leave the Rift community. Lemmy, we thank you for your feedback and wish you the very best. We're closing this thread now.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@riftgame.com.

Thank you!

Closed Thread