+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to introduce 'open world pvp' without substantially changing anything

Prophet of Telara

Default How to introduce 'open world pvp' without substantially changing anything

Starting out, I'm working off the assumption that most that are asking for RvR or Open World PvP objectives are looking for the following:
    1. A free-flowing area (ie no manufactured start/stop times) that can be entered/exited whenever.
    2. Objectives which have an impact on gameplay outside this area.

Based on those assumptions, the argument typically is that you need at least 3 factions to prevent one side from permanently outnumbering the other side as there are always going to be multiple fronts to fight a war on.

So, regarding third faction and why we already have one...
    1. We already have cross-server WF technology.
    2. We already have lore which supports alternate timeline/dimensions.

Therefore the 'third faction' is just other server-factions.

So the idea is based around the original format of the DAoC RvR area:
    1. Each server-faction enters through their own little starting area.
    2. Objectives can be one of the three:
    a) server based (so both guardians and defiants work together from the same server against other servers)
    b) faction based (so all guardians vs all defiants from a cluster)
    c) server-faction based (ie Nyx-Defiant vs everyone else on the cluster)
    3. Respawn points are only in the starting areas, and objectives should be a ways out - meaning death in pvp means something, and battle rezzes now have a purpose in pvp. Respawn force should take a bit longer and be interruptable as well so it's a choice rather than a random right click.
    4. There will be some pve content added to this area as well, make it so that there are little out of the way (and not so out of the way) areas where there is content that makes the pve crowd want to come out and risk getting jumped (ie reward matches the risk). This means that the zone gets used regularly.

Add in some choke points through the paths you have to cross from respawn to objective areas, and you now have an area with the capacity for open world PVP.

The only major difficulty would be how to flag everyone - but I think to keep the 'faction' aspect interesting - everyone that's not of your server-faction is red (this may be the only major technical hurdle as currently everyone of your faction regardless of server is friendly). So even when you're working together on an objective it means you need to be careful of AE usage if you're working in a team.

The other major technical issue would be building starting points in a way that's scalable.
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

I think the only way this would work would be to have server vs server, but then both defiant and guardians get the rewards on your 'home' server, so there is no real advantage to doing it...

IE, if Deepstrike controls the the zone, then both guardian and defiant on deepstrike, get the boost not giving either the advantage on their home contested zones.

Not sure how to split it any other way to give it a 3 sided war.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Prophet of Telara

Well, for server vs server - you have multiple servers in a cluster, and that creates the multiple fronts. You don't need necessarily only 3 factions - the key is to force the 'winning' side to have to face multiple opponents in multiple places... which splits their forces and means one side eventually can get an advantage. But also, I think you can have varying types of objectives which can break down as I previously specified to give advantages either for your entire server or for your faction.

I don't think they should turn rift pvp into warhammer/daoc rvr. They have all the tools to add incentive for pvp in the game and zones. Just need to add incentives and events in the existing zones and add more gains. Check out my thread.

Prophet of Telara

I think something is needed to really move pvp away from the minigame aspect that is warfronts.

and I agree with increasing open world rewards - however due to the unbalance nature of most servers, trying to add an objective/control based mechanic with a direct impact on each individual server isn't going to work unfortunately. Which is why we should be looking at a persistant warfront as a solution, with other servers/factions being the additional potential opponents to throw into the mix.

+ Reply to Thread