+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whitefall Steppes Strategy by Lion of Kaleida

Default Whitefall Steppes Strategy by Lion of Kaleida

The following is my strategy for defeating Whitefall Steppes on Kaleida. If you are on my server I encourage you to give it a try, and I welcome all comments, feedback, criticism, success stories and failure stories.

Flag Runner Build for Rogue:

The interactive link for this build is here. There are other rogue builds that work well, this is the one I currently use. The important, passive abilities have been outlined in red and the important abilities to key bind and use are outlined in green.
    Whitefall Steppes Map with Overlay:

Lion’s Defense

This strategy is simple to execute, and provides a safe approach to developing advantage in the warfront. This strategy is ideal for pick up groups not using voice chat software to coordinate and execute plans as it is easier to function as a group in a stationary position as oppose to maintaining group integrity while moving. The raid members designate a flag runner who uses a build specifically designed for optimal survival and speed. This player infiltrates the enemy base and retrieves their flag while the rest of the raid defends the flag at their respective base.

The designated flag runner will conduct the following course of action:
    1. Buff, mount, and travel south along the Ingress Route
    2. Dismount at Rally Point 1 and move to Rally Point 2
    3. Capture Enemy Flag and travel north along the Egress Route
    • Place an Adhesive Bomb at the designated locations and interact with Enemy Speed Orb and Center Speed Orb
    • Rift Prison and Root enemies as they approach, avoid stalling
    • Travel to and use Healing Orb if necessary

The entire rest of the raid will remain within the Defensive Proximity, functioning together to keep the proximity secure from enemy threats
    • Continuously use Offensive Orb and Speed Orb inside base as they appear
    • Disallow any enemy from interacting with the flag inside the Defensive Perimeter

Lion’s Gambit

A variation of this strategy involves a designated decoy traveling along the Ingress Route with the designated flag runner. Both the decoy and flag runner will meet at Rally Point 1. The decoy then travels to the enemy flag as the flag runner moves to Rally Point 2. The decoy draws attention away from the Enemy Flag and the flag runner captures the Enemy Flag and escapes along the egress route.

~Cheers,

Lion of Kaleida
    Last edited by Vespera; 06-02-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Default The images

After frustratingly trying to edit the image several different ways to get them to show up appropriately, I failed and the forum rejected me editing the post further so here they are (I hope):

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...apstrategy.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...unnerbuild.jpg
    Last edited by Marnos; 05-29-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Rift Disciple

Defending right at the flag means that if the defense fails (or someone manages to sneakily grab the sourcestone), everyone on the defending team that died will only get back to the battle at about middle of map or later. This means that everyone who died on the offensive team will be there too.

Defending a bit further out of your base means that even if you die, you can still mount a defense closer to your sourcestone. The only issue are rogues sneaking by but once he grabs the stone, you're between them and the base they're trying to get to.

It is important to keep grabbing the red and blue ball in your own base to deny them to enemy, and middle blue if they've already grabbed your sourcestone.

Getting back with the stone from the middle might be the shortest route, but it's also closer to enemy coming from respawn. Since your team is all defending, everyone alive on enemy team can just focus on killing you and it's very likely many of them are currently alive and in the middle of the map, unengaged in battle. If enemy had any defenders, they'll know exactly where you are even before the flag gets displayed on the map.

In short, I cannot agree with this tactic for Whitefall because defending close to your sourcestone relies on never losing a battle there, and the stone runner succeeding alone.

I see whitefall as an offensive map, not defensive. If you succeed at offense while enemy grabs your stone, you can spank that stone carrier on your way back.
    Last edited by Tizian; 05-29-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Telaran

I've seen this strategy in action and it works surprisingly well.

@ Lion, you might remember me, Mizukage@Ashstone

Of course I recall you, Mizukage@Ashstone, we have owned many a battles. Tizian, I would have a video up but the guardians on my server are currently dedicating a full, five-member party to hunting my character down on the wf. When that happens, I usually concede to let the raid decide how to approach developing an advantage. However, your post does not really address how effective defending closely to the flag is. It is unlikely that everyone there will die simultaneously as you described, and as long as the remaining members continue to defend; the spawn point is very close and the fallen members have a good chance of replenishing the ranks. I do like some of your points, and have seen an organized group work very efficiently to retrieve the enemy's flag as a raid size element, and then successfully slay the opposing flag carrier on the return trip. However, would it not be easier to never have to kill an enemy flag carrier? It is possible and occurs frequently on my server with pick up groups that collectively try this strategy. It is flattering when the entire opposing team devotes much of their energy to looking for you on the map, but this strategy depends on its namesake: Defense. I will get you a video soon! Also, I should have a cleric build that works well as flag runner posted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnos View Post
    Of course I recall you, Mizukage@Ashstone, we have owned many a battles.
    lol, you showed up to refresh my memory, that was a good EFC kill against me you guys made. It is frustrating for me to retrieve flag only to have to run around trying to stay alive because the enemy has our flag..

Rift Disciple

Hey Lion, yeah that strategy works well as long as everyone is on board with it. If not you get a few on defense and a few on a half-hearted offense and everyone gets killed by the enemy zerg. The times we got the majority on board with the plan it seemed to work though. I like it also when there is one other person with me to take some of the heat.

I use a similar runner build to you except I spec bladedancer up to sprint. That 15 secs lasts a long time!

One problem I have is knowing what to do with the stone if I get it back to our base and the enemy has taken ours (despite any defense strategy). I die very quickly when the enemy zergs our base. Not sure if I should run around close to our spawn spot or around the other way, or just stay put a use rift prison/ roots etc when I can. Any ideas?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tizian View Post
    Defending right at the flag means that if the defense fails (or someone manages to sneakily grab the sourcestone), everyone on the defending team that died will only get back to the battle at about middle of map or later. This means that everyone who died on the offensive team will be there too.

Defending a bit further out of your base means that even if you die, you can still mount a defense closer to your sourcestone. The only issue are rogues sneaking by but once he grabs the stone, you're between them and the base they're trying to get to.

It is important to keep grabbing the red and blue ball in your own base to deny them to enemy, and middle blue if they've already grabbed your sourcestone.

Getting back with the stone from the middle might be the shortest route, but it's also closer to enemy coming from respawn. Since your team is all defending, everyone alive on enemy team can just focus on killing you and it's very likely many of them are currently alive and in the middle of the map, unengaged in battle. If enemy had any defenders, they'll know exactly where you are even before the flag gets displayed on the map.

In short, I cannot agree with this tactic for Whitefall because defending close to your sourcestone relies on never losing a battle there, and the stone runner succeeding alone.

I see whitefall as an offensive map, not defensive. If you succeed at offense while enemy grabs your stone, you can spank that stone carrier on your way back.
    I agree with this. The most effective strategy is offensive. You should always be pushing to get the other team's stone and then worry about getting yours back. Defensive positions almost always seem to fail.

If you lose their sourcestone early on you are at a massive disadvantage as it is much easier to protect and defend when you don't have to worry about capturing your own stone any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Yassha View Post
    One problem I have is knowing what to do with the stone if I get it back to our base and the enemy has taken ours (despite any defense strategy). I die very quickly when the enemy zergs our base. Not sure if I should run around close to our spawn spot or around the other way, or just stay put a use rift prison/ roots etc when I can. Any ideas?
    Unfortunately, if you are more or less on your own with the flag because they have your team's flag and your team is all on offense, running is still the best option but by that time you are weighed down. I've gotten pretty good at using the base to my advantage by skirting the ledge around the perimeter and even finding areas in the wall you can jump up to and over. If you do have some support that can keep you alive through a burst attack, switch to a tank or bard build and stand your ground on top of the offensive orb spawn.

Only works well if you're in a zergball which I suppose is the point of this thread because it will save the OP time herding those cats into formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    Only works well if you're in a zergball which I suppose is the point of this thread because it will save the OP time herding those cats into formation.
    On the contrary, this strategy works everytime it is used unless the other team has lost to it several times in a row, and actively hunts your designated flag carrier. This strategy is not a theory, it has been used and caused many 3-0 shut-out ques. I highly recommend trying the build and the strat, I think you will find it surprisingly effective.

Wait you mean were not suppose to run to the center and PvP?

Default Videos

Here are the videos of me using the strategy as promised.

here

and

here

Plane Walker

You're not even level 50. Hurry up and get to 50 so I can show you that your strat is nothing special.

Hmm as a avid WF runner i have to agree with the others about offence proceeds defense. The more you dedicate to defense the more opportunity the enemy has to force through and take the stone. A good mid defense works two ways. It stops the majority of the enemy early, and it can also assist the FC when he leaves the base. It also allows the group to be flexible, by letting would be defenders attack the enemy base to work as decoys.

And sending one player in to grab the stone only works if the enemy has less than 2 competent defenders. If they have 3+ ranged defenders ESPECIALLY 44 point MM defenders then it becomes extremely difficult.

They can keep up with you while purging all your buffs making you into a pin cushion for their arrows and any others who can hit you. Without ample CC available the chances of making it out becomes very low. Thats why i chose a spec that capitalizes on consistent high speed rather than large bursts like OTD or Sprint.

I use a 34 Bard / 32 RS / 0 Sabo for max CC and consistency. The heals help out the team so you contribute to your team, the motifs can increase damage reduction, provide a HoT, and anthem of competence keeps you moving at 20% speed. And the instant cast mez keeps people off of you, opens windows in a defense as well as helps your offense by slowing down the EFC until help arrives or keeps the healer near him at bay. Being able to AOE mez, single target mez, and rift prison, you can effectively remove enemy combatants from preforming their function while creating numerous opportunity's for your team.

In this way you can also help someone else who may have the flag by CCing the enemy, healing the fc, and drawling fire away from him or your dedicated healers. You don't always have to be the star runner. This is all my experience from doing Whitefall at 40-50 so take it for what it is worth i suppose.
    Last edited by Sagiso; 05-30-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    <- My connection speed
    60 Rogue Lohart ~ 58 Warrior Gazenkinie (Teresa) ~ 60 Cleric Sagiso ~ 60 Mage Quelaan
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast