+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stormcallers aoe

Plane Touched

Default stormcallers aoe

is it just me or is stormcallers AOe ability (the storm cloud) really powerful?

as a assassin if i stand in it for even 1.5 seconds half my health is gone, before you say "well dont stand in it" sometimes i i have no choice because ithe effect dosent even appear on the screen and before i even realise im dead.

its bad enough pyros can crit over 7000 ( been told recently in some cases against rank 1's over 9000 no pun intended) now they have a easy mode Aoe they can spam and wipe out a entire party.

mages need blanacing out in a big way .. or warrior and assassins need scaling up to at least match mages damage output.

Nothing easy mode about AOE in pvp, especially if it's static ground based aoe.

You have to stand in the aoe for 2 seconds before the damage starts to really hurt. If your computer isn't loading the spell graphics in time, it seems to me the problem is with your equipment, not mages.

Stormcallers, especially in 1.2, have very little defense mechanisms available to them. Just kill them. That's what most people do.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Mages are totally broken, be ready to deal with a flood of scrub caster apologists like above.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Nothing easy mode about AOE in pvp, especially if it's static ground based aoe.

You have to stand in the aoe for 2 seconds before the damage starts to really hurt. If your computer isn't loading the spell graphics in time, it seems to me the problem is with your equipment, not mages.

Stormcallers, especially in 1.2, have very little defense mechanisms available to them. Just kill them. That's what most people do.
    I believe the issue isn't with defenses, it's with the fact that no visible melee can even get to said mages without dying (even if only the mage focuses him or her, let alone if any other ranged decide to lend a hand).

Quote Originally Posted by Aevis View Post
    I believe the issue isn't with defenses, it's with the fact that no visible melee can even get to said mages without dying (even if only the mage focuses him or her, let alone if any other ranged decide to lend a hand).
    Don't warriors have the ability to take way of the mountain, a break free, and at least 2 gap closers?

There's no reason whatsoever for a warrior not to be able to close on a mage if he wants to. Well, maybe a pyro who sees him coming and focuses him, but a stormcaller isn't going to have that kind of luxury.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Don't warriors have the ability to take way of the mountain, a break free, and at least 2 gap closers?

There's no reason whatsoever for a warrior not to be able to close on a mage if he wants to. Well, maybe a pyro who sees him coming and focuses him, but a stormcaller isn't going to have that kind of luxury.
    Champ+riftblade+vindicator can have:
    Bull's Rush, 20m range charge, 15 second cooldown. Needs 1 talent point to be usable in battle
    Riftwalk, 20m range teleport (breaks immobilising effects on use), 45 to 25 second cooldown. Can also spec for ability crits to reset the cooldown.
    Unrestrained, 17m range charge (needs immobilising effect before use), 2 minute cooldown.
    Freeze Armor, 20m range snare, 8 second cooldown
    Leg Sweep, melee range snare, no cooldown
    Battlefield Intimidation, aoe fear + singletarget root.. 7-10 metersish range?, 30 second cooldown
    Avatar of Wind, +10% movement speed
    Stonespear, 20m range root, 30 second cooldown
    Thunderous Leap, 20m range jump+stun, 45 sec cooldown

And yes, you can have all of these in a single spec. I don't actually know if it's a good spec or not, but that's a lot of abilities to help you get close to your target. Paragon can get +50% movement speed buff for 15-21 seconds every minute and I'm sure the other souls (or at least soul combinations) can have abilities to get in range, not to mention that some also have ranged attacks to mitigate the disadvantage of being at range from your target.
    --
    Stormcallers, in my experience, often get so focused on watching the numbers roll on screen that they just keep on casting as I run right to them. "I've got 4 more targets to hit, what does it matter if one of them escaped the aoe? I'm so going to top the damage dealt column on scoreboard! Oh he's coming towards me? wtf, he bursted me down? nerf warriors plz!"

At least I'd like to think they think that, it's more amusing for me :P
    Last edited by Tizian; 05-29-2011 at 08:15 AM.

According to Stormcallers, the real problem is MM. ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
    According to Stormcallers, the real problem is MM. ROFL
    MM's run roughshod over all mage souls right now. How that pertains to stormcallers specifically however, I have no idea.

The reality of stormcaller pvp is that the stormcaller has a "safe zone" between 20-30 meters out that he has to mentally visualize at all times while trying to either aoe or single target burst someone down, and he has to monitor that field around him for any enemy comming within it. If a red name comes running into his 20 meter safe zone, and it's a warrior, the stormcaller is in serious trouble. If he's good, he already saw the warrior comming and is running back behind his buddies. If he's not (maybe he has tunnel vision, or his situational awareness needs work, whatever) the warrior will gap close him and tear him a new hole. Once the warrior is in melee range, it boils down to build, escape tools, and skill. If the stormcaller is lacking in any of these, he's probably a free kill for the warrior unless he's getting focus healed.

Rift Chaser

spread out

LOL @ a sin QQin about a stormcaller. dude get real you rogues go IMMUNE 95% of the time to one of 2 defensive moves we got, electrocute. Now how is that fair? or better yet when im channeling raging storm and you just vanish? really? quit the QQ buddy move out of the aoe.
    Deepstrike,were the real men PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by raymurda View Post
    LOL @ a sin QQin about a stormcaller. dude get real you rogues go IMMUNE 95% of the time to one of 2 defensive moves we got, electrocute. Now how is that fair? or better yet when im channeling raging storm and you just vanish? really? quit the QQ buddy move out of the aoe.
    1) Vanish is on a 2min CD. If it's a group battle, chance are you're dotted after you vanish, and chances are those dots will then unstealth you if you don't spec 40 sin. if you spec 40 sin, you won't have "95% immunity".

2) Forked Lightning and Lightning Field have no CD and do roughly 1-2K aoe a cast. SC's are the most fragile of all mages, but they don't rely on purgable buffs and before they go down they can literally wipe an entire raid in 3-4 casts. If even one good clerics is healing the SC, that SC is about 10x more dangerous/effective than ANY rogue.

3) Even if it's a 44 nightblade, that's a maximum of 14 seconds of complete spell resists (blackout, transcendence, cleanse soul if you got 10infil). This is 14 seconds, every 2mins, and piss-poor burst, no AOE, half-assed ranged attacks at 20m and mediocre DPS compared to other callings.

4) In a 1v1 scenario where a sin opens up on an SC, yeah the SC is definitely going to get wrecked. In a group situation? The sin will get 2-second wondered and the SC will continue spamming 1 button to wipe the sin's group.
    Last edited by Slic; 05-29-2011 at 10:59 AM.

mages are broken in their favor. I look forward to seeing them balanced in pvp.

+ Reply to Thread