+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dear Trion, is it possible to make melee less boring in pvp?

Default Dear Trion, is it possible to make melee less boring in pvp?

My girl is a queen of mmos and has already conquered rift. Now she's bored and becoming more interested in pvp like we did in WAR but there's one major problem. She thinks the melee classes in this game are too boring to PvP with. She'd have to explain this to you in better detail but if she'll only pvp with me on a mage or cleric there's a major issue going on here.

Personally I find them boring (simple) as well and mostly stick to my mage. Maybe the macro fixes will help this, I'm just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    My girl is a queen of mmos and has already conquered rift. Now she's bored and becoming more interested in pvp like we did in WAR but there's one major problem. She thinks the melee classes in this game are too boring to PvP with. She'd have to explain this to you in better detail but if she'll only pvp with me on a mage or cleric there's a major issue going on here.

Personally I find them boring (simple) as well and mostly stick to my mage. Maybe the macro fixes will help this, I'm just thinking out loud.
    Wouldnt mind removing the macros, as they are ingame atm. But I would like styles redone, introduce backup styles and reactives. Think Daoc style system, that complimented players who learned their class.. Not this one button smashfest with reactionarys that it is now.
    Last edited by Meekx; 05-29-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Plane Touched

I'm not terribly sure about warriors and clerics, but if you're playing a melee rogue (or any rogue) with a single button in pvp, you are going to lose hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuts View Post
    I'm not terribly sure about warriors and clerics, but if you're playing a melee rogue (or any rogue) with a single button in pvp, you are going to lose hard.
    True about rogues, but on a warrior/cleric? It's just strapping all of the styles into a macro, since most of them are off the cooldown or reactionarys - Its pretty darn amazing that its alloved tbh.

Oh, I would loveeeeeeee to see the QQ that would ensue as soon as melee is forced to keyboard dance like us mages do in order to do decent DPS. I fully support this idea lol
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Rift Disciple

For my part as a warrior (34 champ/18 vk/0-point vindi, level 39 now), I've got 2 AP building macros, three finisher macros (manadrain/deathblow, aoe, aoe+stun), my snare, my curse cure (two buttons for this actually, one for selfcast and the other for whatever I've got targetted.. I should give this modifier keys instead), my purge, my mana drain, my CC removal macro, my aoe fear, my interrupt and my charge that I use constantly. When I get more levels I'll end up having more buttons to press.

Adding 3-5 more buttons to press to the 13 I already press frequently seems a bit too much (for me). Then I of course have to worry about positioning (ie. chasing apparently randomly turning/jumping targets and keeping in melee range) and general situational awareness on top of that just like everyone else. A ranged character left to their own devices can ignore the positioning bit a lot more often.

I have no doubt some people could manage it all without macros with better effectiveness than I do with macros. But I doubt the number of those people would be huge.

Then I've got some abilities I keep forgetting to use like my crit increasing or armor decreasing mark, my pact conversion (to refresh pact duration between fights) and ragestorm (to generate AP outside of fights mostly) but for which I still do have buttons on my bars, and some abilities I've left completely out even though technically they could make me output more damage if I used them perfectly.

---
    tl;dr - I don't think melee warrior is boring at least. Plenty of buttons to press, plenty of things to consider
    Last edited by Tizian; 05-29-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Oh, I would loveeeeeeee to see the QQ that would ensue as soon as melee is forced to keyboard dance like us mages do in order to do decent DPS. I fully support this idea lol

On my rogue I have to use many more abilities(not macro'd) even though I do have many macro's.

It's 100 times harder to play than my mage. Rogue is on a 1.0 GCD which means we have to be quick on our buttons to do decent dps. Mages with their much slower GCD are much easier to go around to the buttons. Believe it or not, that .5 seconds makes a difference.

I have to keep in melee range, while you have a big target area where you can just stand there and not have to worry about "out of range" and other LOS errors(such as the ones jumping causes).

I have to work in melee range in the big pile taking alot of damage.

Of all these abilities I have, they are all very reactive. And I have to be on them QUICK to do well, because if I'm not hitting my GCD on the money everytime = DPS loss.

For you to even suggest that melee somehow has it easier because a few abilities can work on cooldowns, over the ease of play afforded to the mage class in numerous ways, then I suggest you actually go play one.
    Last edited by Eorith; 05-29-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Removed rude comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    What you mean jump and down to exploit the melee LoS feature? I would gladly jump up and down like a half-******ed kangaroo if it meant I could avoid half of all incoming spell damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnos View Post
    What you mean jump and down to exploit the melee LoS feature? I would gladly jump up and down like a half-******ed kangaroo if it meant I could avoid half of all incoming spell damage.
    No, I don't mean jumping. I mean the fact that as a mage, I have 15 hotkeys on the keyboard, and 9 on the mouse that I have to use situationally in pvp or pve, because almost none of our souls are macro friendly.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Rift Chaser

Sadly I really cant think of any mmo where melee classes werent nothing more then 3 buttons+cd mashers.
    Having a blue bar over your head in a WF is like watching 10 fat kids all bum rush the ice cream buffet at Ci Ci's.

Soulwalker

My first char is a melee(warrior champ, riftblade, beastmaster), and I would say all melee classes are probably more difficult to play then ranged classes. People say there are only 3 buttons, but no there are many more buttons.

You have to build up enough attack power to use the finish moves. If you dont build up 3 swords it wont do as much damage. Then you also have to use the dot finishing moves first then when dots are going use the set up and finishing move. Then at the same time as you attack you also have to be following the enemy around cause they almost are always running away.

I hear people mention macros. Are these macros you can set up in game?

Or are you useing an out of game macro program?

If this game has an ingame macro program then I need to work with that. I saw macros but I thought that was probably just for adding emotes or something.

Edit- I started a rogue marksmen, sab, bard and its a lot easier. Wasnt sure really what I wanted witht his cahr but Marksmen, but bard seems nice and will be helpful in warfronts. Its a lot easier to do more damage so far with the rogue. I dont have to worry about chaseing people around.
    All melees have to chase people around which could possibly make it less boring then other classes.
    Last edited by Locky; 05-29-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Gwartham View Post
    Sadly I really cant think of any mmo where melee classes werent nothing more then 3 buttons+cd mashers.
    Dark Age of Camelot.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Dark Age of Camelot.
    Nope sorry played the hell outta it, and played a Arms, still was basically the same thing.

But lets be honest, most MMO's are the same for most classes.

Few must have always use buttons, your wtfpwn cd's, and then some fluff you keep on a second bar.

But hey thats ok as well, do we seriously want to play a game that requires 36 butons and 10 macros to play?
    Last edited by Gwartham; 05-29-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Having a blue bar over your head in a WF is like watching 10 fat kids all bum rush the ice cream buffet at Ci Ci's.

Soulwalker

I played allmost every game as melee and none of them ever were a 3 button thing. The only melee like that i can think of is Darkfall. It has normal atatcks and whirlwind only pretty much and power atatck. But I am not sure people would call it boring melee.

If you are useing out of game macro programs it is really not part of the game. Most of the games dotn have ingame macro programs to do 3 button things liek you want to.
    Last edited by Locky; 05-29-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Gwartham View Post
    Nope sorry played the hell outta it, and played a Arms, still was basically the same thing.

But lets be honest, most MMO's are the same for most classes.

Few must have always use buttons, your wtfpwn cd's, and then some fluff you keep on a second bar.

But hey thats ok as well, do we seriously want to play a game that requires 36 butons and 10 macros to play?
    You have forgotten then. I am not saying that "it took more skill" or "it was a lot tougher." No, it was just as easy, but we did not spam the keys. Abilities didnt work if you spammed the keys, especially as a infiltrator/nightblade/shadowblade/scout/hunter/ranger. If you spammed, you popped outta stealth on the first stroke, and would never actually shoot your bow as the others.

Even the armsman, if you recall, had Chained-combos, and if you spammed 1 or 2, you'd never reach your 3rd or final combo attack. Is the memory coming back to you yet?
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast