+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Arenas? Yay or nay?

Default Arenas? Yay or nay?

Let's start the thread with that I have played WoW for maybe 20hours in total, all those hours in TBC/wotlk arenas on different private servers. I've seen different threads regarding arenas, and I can't see any downsides of them being available? I personally love them, I would love to be able to group up with a good friend of mine, or maybe 3 other good friends and make an awesome 5v5 to just play around with?
    Warfronts, yes they are fun.. I guess? But it's not always the best thing to depend on 10-15 other players.
    World PvP, too hard to catch, however when we catch them we're having a blast!
    I would absolutely love to see Trion implementing arenas into rift.
    Oh and I love dredgions in aion ;)
    Leimone Whitefall EU | Cleric

Thumbs down

Nay. (Trion agrees too)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartolomeus D View Post
    Queueing solo should not place you in a warfront against opponents that queued as a group.

It's that simple.

Soulwalker

noy)))

even WOW admitted implementing arenas was a horriable idea the threw all balance out the window.

why not say what you are really thinking

ive leveld 4 toons to 50 make arena so i can be elite with the new fotm each month
    Last edited by Destructiveurges; 05-29-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Plane Walker

No, the games would end up like this:

Warriors get 2 shot before getting in range.
    Rogues get 2 shot as soon as they unstealth.
    Mages mutually 1 shot each other.
    Clerics are left to try and bore the other team to death.

General of Telara I Fear Kittens's Avatar

*sigh* another arena thread

no
    "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall piss you off." Norse Proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    When it's ready...... You wouldn't want it released before it was ready, right? And you wouldn't want us to hold it back after it was ready, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollolololol View Post
    I am honored to have made your /ignore list

Rift Chaser

It would require a complete overhaul of how many of the classes are implemented in this game, especially healers. So no.

What I do want from the Arena aspect is ranked play. Warfronts are too static. You do it, it's over, nothing's changed. You're a little closer to your next gear tier, maybe, but there's no accomplishment or competition.
    Last edited by Kalos; 05-29-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Rift Disciple

I disagree with all the above comments/replies.

I think Arena or even just 2v2/3v3/5v5 team battles should be implemented into the game, it doesn't have to be like WoW where you MUST arena to unlock the best PvP gear.
    Another system could be added, such as 2v2 teams (100-150favor+100-150 prestige points) per win and as you go 3v3 or 5v5 it would give a bit more, but obviously less than Warfronts. Or enough points to make people do team battles instead of just straight playing warfronts.
    No one is FORCED to play these teams, but I think it would make many of the players that want to do team matches happy, and as I mentioned it won't give any special rewards, like WoW does. Just a different way to farm/grind for Favor/Prestige. Of course it also would not reward any reputation like Warfronts do, nor dailies.

Just an IDEA, if your going to just **** on my comment / troll on it **** plz =)

Rift Chaser

^^ I'd be pretty okay with Arenas being implemented as an "rewardless" system, essentially making them team-duels. But the game isn't balanced enough around small-group play (at least in the PvP sense) to implement it as the main way people do ranked play and gain rewards.

I would support 1v1 and 2v2 arenas...

IF AND ONLY IF there were not a separate gear set available for arenas. Earn favor like normal WFs and yeah... I think a 1v1 or 2v2 ladder arena system would be fine.

Then again... uh... the only people winning in them would be clerics.

Shadowlander

**** no to arena!

Quote Originally Posted by stage9 View Post
    I disagree with all the above comments/replies.

I think Arena or even just 2v2/3v3/5v5 team battles should be implemented into the game, it doesn't have to be like WoW where you MUST arena to unlock the best PvP gear.
    Another system could be added, such as 2v2 teams (100-150favor+100-150 prestige points) per win and as you go 3v3 or 5v5 it would give a bit more, but obviously less than Warfronts. Or enough points to make people do team battles instead of just straight playing warfronts.
    No one is FORCED to play these teams, but I think it would make many of the players that want to do team matches happy, and as I mentioned it won't give any special rewards, like WoW does. Just a different way to farm/grind for Favor/Prestige. Of course it also would not reward any reputation like Warfronts do, nor dailies.

Just an IDEA, if your going to just **** on my comment / troll on it **** plz =)
    Not trolling just stating the obvious. Myself alone as 32 Sin 34 NB 0 BD can wreck a non tank into pieces in some few seconds, as long as I do my rotation right. That's a 1v1, picture a 3v3 scenario with the same rate.. none would be able to react/respond to the damage, it would just be a zergfest where the first who strikes wins. This further takes away the concept of arena, as it's meant to be built on strategy, and would be even easier than WF.
    Bloodiron - Ayronamic

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ayronamic View Post
    Not trolling just stating the obvious. Myself alone as 32 Sin 34 NB 0 BD can wreck a non tank into pieces in some few seconds, as long as I do my rotation right. That's a 1v1, picture a 3v3 scenario with the same rate.. none would be able to react/respond to the damage, it would just be a zergfest where the first who strikes wins. This further takes away the concept of arena, as it's meant to be built on strategy, and would be even easier than WF.
    I'm pretty sure all Arena are the same in some ways, I agree that Rift needs some PvP tuning. But If you take a look at WOW for example on BURST teams is all about the OPENER, I've hit gladiator title during season 4 and BURST teams in the +2000 bracket at that time could win by just popping their cooldowns, strategy vs burst team has been and will always be to survive their 20 seconds opener + burst and then it's pretty much stick to one and then kill the other.
    Strategy always plays a huge role, if you get CC'd how can you DPS? Like you say you can wreck a non tank in a few seconds, but what if I line of sigh you? What if my partner charge + fear you? What if my rogue sap/blinds you? Sorry i don't know the skills on Rift on top of my head.

Also your latter quote says "I got 1 hitted by DEADEYE shot".
    How can you get 1 hitted by DEADEYE shot when it requires 5 combo points to even cast?

Keep in mind all PvP games are pretty GEAR-oriented, if you vs a rank 6 prestige team with rank 2 team you are most likely going to get ***** unless they are dumb as bricks, right? It's always about who has the better gear, or else why would we bother grinding for gear?
    Last edited by stage9; 05-29-2011 at 08:31 AM.

I admit that I'm somewhat biased against arenas, because I think they were terrible in the games I've seen them in. (WoW and Lineage2). Not because the arena itself was bad, more because of how it threw off the focus of the game.

I dont generally think they belong in an MMO, as you're taking away from the strategic element that make MMOs great and the arenas generally make no sense in the RPG story. I'd rather focus the game even further away from warfronts to something that has more strategy to it and more meaning in the persistent world - arena is a step the wrong way. (Please build siegable castles, not arena.)

The other problem with rift and arenas is the mechanics are too simple. Dont get me wrong, I like them. They make sense for the game RIFT is. But in an arena type game, you should have to aim instead of tab targeting. To block, you should actually have to block. Rather than make crits RNG, you should have to time your blow, hit someone in the back, etc. And dont get me started with macros. As I said, I love how all of these things work in RIFT. The simple mechanics let me focus on things like LoSing the dragons or killing the dude with the thing.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by stage9 View Post
    Also your latter quote says "I got 1 hitted by DEADEYE shot".
    How can you get 1 hitted by DEADEYE shot when it requires 5 combo points to even cast?
    I suppose it is technically. 51 points in Saboteur, next charge applies 5 combo points on target (but doesn't cause damage before you use Detonation) so you could possibly not consider it as an attack (or a 'shot).
    8 points in Marksman to get Deadeye Shot.

Yeah, like that'll ever happen. But the question intrigued me enough :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast