+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Capping flags under cleric shields - legit or cheating?

Dun
    Soulwalker

Default Capping flags under cleric shields - legit or cheating?

Hi,
    I am mostly speaking about Justicar 38 point shield which absorbs 2150 damage.
    It also stacks with Shaman's or Druid's smaller 700-800 point shield (one at a time).
    It allows to cap while not interripted by damage unless the opponent burns through ~3K while you are capping.

It's not immunity because sometimes I am interrupted while shield is up (spell interrupt?), througbacks work as well.

I do get a lot of hate in /yell when I flip a flag in Codex while 2 guys are pounding on me (one is detaunted, so they would be doing little damage).
    So, cheating or a legit game mechanic?

Rift Disciple

How could it be cheating?

It might be unfair or unbalanced.. but cheating? nah.

And since you can be interrupted, CC'd or oneshot (ie. enough damage to break the shield and interrupt you) by about 38 different souls (yes, I know) according to these forums, it doesn't even seem to be either of those two.

Soulwalker

It's certainly not cheating and tbh not even badly designed. Anyone trying to pound on you to stop you capping really needs to learn there are other options.. They could KB, stun, mes, fear or interrupt you to stop you capping. If they don't... well, you be the judge. ;)

Rift Chaser

I hope neither of you were any of the people going "Good change Trion" for the nerf to Rogues ability to use damage immunities while capping that was added a few days ago.

A week ago, the answer to the question of legit or not was absolutely legit.

Now, given that rogues (and in one case, mages) had this ability stripped from them (any ability that makes you immune to damage for a few seconds no longer allows you to interact with WF objectives), this ability should also be considered "too strong", and get nerfed.
    Last edited by Ilmoran; 05-29-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmoran View Post
    I hope neither of you were any of the people going "Good change Trion" for the nerf to Rogues ability to use damage immunities while capping that was added a few days ago.

A week ago, the answer to the question of legit or not was absolutely legit.

Now, given that rogues (and in one case, mages) had this ability stripped from them (any ability that makes you immune to damage for a few seconds no longer allows you to interact with WF objectives), this ability should also be considered "too strong", and get nerfed.
    Damage Immunities are in a different league compared to damage absorb shields.. Yes they can be powerful but they aren't the end all..

A damage absorb shield can be removed by dps by sheer brute force (and be stripped).. Damage immunities can basically absorb an infinite amount of damage before they are removed..2k is ALOT less that Infinity imho..

Whether they are balanced or not is up to trion..
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

Ascendant

The fact that these kinds of things were not even up for discussion before 1.21 is proof they needed to make the changes to immunity. Rogue play was dominating the capping game, so much so that nobody else did it enough to even see what they were capable of doing.

Others said it better.. It is not an exploit, but it is possible that the developers will modify things if it is seen as an essential way to cap things.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    Damage Immunities are in a different league compared to damage absorb shields.. Yes they can be powerful but they aren't the end all..

A damage absorb shield can be removed by dps by sheer brute force (and be stripped).. Damage immunities can basically absorb an infinite amount of damage before they are removed..2k is ALOT less that Infinity imho..

Whether they are balanced or not is up to trion..
    The immunites were purgeable, too. And it was also possible to CC people using them; they only made you immune to damage.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Neuts View Post
    The immunites were purgeable, too. And it was also possible to CC people using them; they only made you immune to damage.
    So you've got two abilities

#1 can be countered with damage, purge and cc
    #2 can be countered with purge and cc

Do they look equal?

a healing spec with a mix of sent and puri gives great healing while still being able to get 40%dmg reduction +shield= unless u r intrupted or knocked back 0 chance of stopping you capping any flag
    dont waste ya points in justi when a sent/puri build will do the same thing but allow you to actually be an effective healer
    Last edited by Destructiveurges; 05-29-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tizian View Post
    So you've got two abilities

#1 can be countered with damage, purge and cc
    #2 can be countered with purge and cc

Do they look equal?
    Was the question ever that they were equal? And did I ever say the rogue changes weren't warranted? I supported the changes because the DR change made it likely that a rogue popping blackout in the codex had also full CC immunity from DR.

The question is whether or not it's balanced to allow clerics to grab stuff under shields. I think it is on the codex, but not on BG and Whitefall where the caps are much shorter.

Not cheating. Shields do not grant total immunity and can be taken down in a few globals.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    Not cheating. Shields do not grant total immunity and can be taken down in a few globals.
    I consider it cheese, especially with the current state of CC with 2 of any class CC making you immune for 24s. Just covenant the capper and shield em once full immunity from DR is up (takes 5s or less in average encounters) and yoink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
    I consider it cheese, especially with the current state of CC with 2 of any class CC making you immune for 24s. Just covenant the capper and shield em once full immunity from DR is up (takes 5s or less in average encounters) and yoink it.
    Stealth and Stuns are also cheese. Lets remove the rogue class while we are at it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
    Immunity timer is 15 seconds nowadays, isn't it?

General of Telara I Fear Kittens's Avatar

Default Eye for an eye!!!

Rogues got their stealthing abilities bashed with the nerf bat.

Its only fair!

Time to start nerfing the clerics.

We'll start picking on the mages in about a month or so.

Sorry warriors, looks like you are going to get left out of the rotation again
    "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall piss you off." Norse Proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    When it's ready...... You wouldn't want it released before it was ready, right? And you wouldn't want us to hold it back after it was ready, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollolololol View Post
    I am honored to have made your /ignore list

+ Reply to Thread