+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PUGs VS Premade- what would you do?

Default PUGs VS Premade- what would you do?

When it comes to WF's there is very little that random strangers can do to compete against premades. It just becomes an exercise in prestige farming. Sometimes this isn't the case. Most of the time it is. But the problem isn't an easy one to solve. Fixing WF's so that premades vs premades would create a horrible queue. So what would you do? How would you fix the balance? Is it just the nature of pvp?
    Last edited by Alericofthered; 05-28-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. -Yeats

If not seperating solo queues and group queues , the other option I think that would be worth trying is having them seperated by valor levels or ranking (like at lower levels they are balanced by levels)
    These options may increase the amount of time until you get into a game, but I think it would be more enjoyable with better balance (especially the 1st option). There is plenty of things you can do in the game while waiting on a WF.

I do think something needs to be done about it. It is a major factor for why a lot of people get extremely frustrated with WFs. I for one log off the game after a few WFs vs Pre-mades because the imbalance makes me sick. At this point I think I'm gonna stick to only doing the daily PVP so I don't burn out from the unbalanced gameplay in there.
    Last edited by Nikovdh; 05-28-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    SEPTIMA of <BottomLine> on Millrush

A 3rd idea would be to have PVP servers queue into PVP server queues (they sure have enough ppl to do this)
    while the rest of the servers would be in a seperate queue. Most Pre-mades from my experience come from the PVP servers.

Any of these ideas would really need some live-testing to really know if it would work.
    Last edited by Nikovdh; 05-28-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    SEPTIMA of <BottomLine> on Millrush

The most viable option is to put people who queue separately and those who queue with a group in separate queues.

I doubt it would increase wait times by a crazy amount, and it would make WF less of a roflstomp at times.
    With Faith and Fury I fight on.

I agree with Calelith and it seems it would be the easiest to implement since it's based off an established in-game mechanic.
    Last edited by Istlyn; 05-28-2011 at 09:14 PM.

I wonder if you abuse it by having your group queue at the same time separately, chances are most of you would get into the same warfront.
    With Faith and Fury I fight on.

Rift Disciple

My solution to this problem is simple: I no longer play warfronts.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshirawr View Post
    My solution to this problem is simple: I no longer play warfronts.
    Is that a recommendation though? I'm a big fan of opvp, and I think instanced wf's are corrosive. However, it's what we have to work with, so why not try and fix them so that we can all get a bit of joy out of what we have.

I've been on both ends of this (premade vs pug) and neither is fun. I'm curious- and I'm not trolling- if the disparateness in Rank Gear is partly to blame.
    Last edited by Alericofthered; 05-28-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. -Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Alericofthered View Post
    When it comes to WF's there is very little that random strangers can do to compete against premades. It just becomes an exercise in prestige farming. Sometimes this isn't the case. Most of the time it is. But the problem isn't an easy one to solve. Fixing WF's so that premades vs premades would create a horrible queue. So what would you do? How would you fix the balance? Is it just the nature of pvp?
    They also said in the fix that they had already increased the cross server queue of the WFs for one battlegroup... and were going to debate doing it for other groups if they see the need to. If the queues increase, then I will expect that they will take action and do as they said previously.

Rift Disciple

What i would say is mostly to blame, is the simple fact that developers feel the need to add a worthless stat that makes pvp harder for anyone who isn't grinding out rep or prestige in a premade.

It's bad enough you're getting gear comparable to plaque vendor items, some even better, but to add a stat to it that makes everyone else in the wf hit you for less damage is just insane. All it does it take the fact that prestige 6 versus prestige 1 is unbalanced, and amplify it even more so. Then add the icing, that the group you're facing for the 6th time in a row is a premade, on vent, with actual specs matched to needs, and you have a ragefest on your hands.

Some people say pvp is no different than raiding, and going into a pug is just as bad as queuing for a wf alone, and i agree. However, we, and the developers, MAKE it like that. It doesn't have to be, but it won't be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshirawr View Post
    What i would say is mostly to blame, is the simple fact that developers feel the need to add a worthless stat that makes pvp harder for anyone who isn't grinding out rep or prestige in a premade.

It's bad enough you're getting gear comparable to plaque vendor items, some even better, but to add a stat to it that makes everyone else in the wf hit you for less damage is just insane. All it does it take the fact that prestige 6 versus prestige 1 is unbalanced, and amplify it even more so. Then add the icing, that the group you're facing for the 6th time in a row is a premade, on vent, with actual specs matched to needs, and you have a ragefest on your hands.

Some people say pvp is no different than raiding, and going into a pug is just as bad as queuing for a wf alone, and i agree. However, we, and the developers, MAKE it like that. It doesn't have to be, but it won't be changed.

As someone said in another post: What if they are separated by Rank...such as R1-2's play one another. Rank 3-4's play one another..and so on...this would directly address your issue with gear, would it not?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Alericofthered View Post
    As someone said in another post: What if they are separated by Rank...such as R1-2's play one another. Rank 3-4's play one another..and so on...this would directly address your issue with gear, would it not?

Only if they expanded the battlegroups, otherwise you'd have 457 "queue times are too long for warfronts" threads.

Soulwalker

The situation right now is unacceptable and it is definitely driving people away from PvP if not the game.

Premade vs PUG is like shooting fish in a barrel. When you take into account the rewards being distributed on the basis of these one-sided matches it is as harmful to the game as boss exploits in PvE.

The whole notion of loading the more successful players up with better gear is pretty laughable to begin with though. In real competitive sports they use handicaps to help the lesser players. The Rift\WoW system literally seeks to widen the gap and decrease the quality of the game for everyone (yes better players will tell you they like a challenge in PvP).

There is very little (if any?) incentive for newer players to enter the PvP system when they are going to repeatedly get rolled for gear they can only use to get rolled.

Telaran

ok guys, I need to ask, to get this off my mind(sorry to the OP for taking this a different direction), I took a three month vacation from wow a bit ago, came back to wow and I see allot of terms I didn't reconized, like PUG and QQ, left wow and came here to Rift, I see it here to, what does PUG and QQ mean?

Soulwalker

PUG = Pickup Group
    QQ = Crying, although gamers tend to label any complaint regardless of legitimacy as crying

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast