+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: PvP Marksman - Need some help! =)

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    153

    Default PvP Marksman - Need some help! =)

    Ok, I am making this thread asking for HELP.
    If you wish to insult/cry/bs then please, make your own thread and start there.

    I recently got this game from a friend, and he was into Bard/Marksman soul trees, so yeah I started off with a level 50 character without learning any basics of the game, and I have a few questions about the PvP aspects of this game. I only do PvP.
    Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

    1 - Are MM a bad way to do PvP on Rift? I mean, my instant shots do 280 non crit, 400 crit damage? only shot that does damage is DeadEye shot (1.5s cast) and i barely critical for 1200 damage with 5 combo points... I see Warriors charge up to me, swing their swords twice for over 800 damage each + a finisher which only needs 3 combo points and I'm literally "finished". Samething goes for mages... They can sit there out dps me, cast, cast and cast, all instant spells, which makes my Silence useless because it needs to "interrupt a cast in order to silence". Also their criticals hit for 2000-3500 damage and I'm dead in 2 or 3 spells. Not sure if mages need combo points.

    2 - I have respec'd as MM(40)/NM(18)/Ranger(8) to maximize damage, however I find that my burst damage isn't high enough. A cleric can easily just sit there eating all of my shots without going low on mana... and me after popping all my CDs. I just don't seem to do enough damage.
    If someone is willing to give me a good build for MM to maximize damage + rotation that would be awesome!!


    3 - MM are a weak solo soul? I have been trying to duel different classes in town, but honestly the only class I can beat seems to be another rogue.
    Clerics can INSTANT heal all the times, even if I kite them, i don't do enough damage to actually kill one
    Mages 2-3 hit me
    Warriors kill me in within their charge stun duration?


    Thanks for reading and the help!

  2. #2
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default

    KITE
    10 points Infiltrator for 5 sec spell imminuty
    IMPROVED HIT AND RUN
    RELOAD (or whatever it was called)

    MM can output the same DPS as mage if CDs are burned.
    Last edited by Pipone; 05-28-2011 at 08:46 AM.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipone View Post
    KITE
    10 points Infiltrator for 5 sec spell imminuty
    IMPROVED HIT AND RUN
    RELOAD (or whatever it was called)

    MM can output the same DPS as mage if CDs are burned.
    I would love to go for Infiltrator spec, but I see major spells require a higher rank prestige, so I may have to wait untill I farm higher prestige level.

    I do that, I use Improved hit and run > empowered, empowered, barbed shot (5 combo) then DeadEye shot and repeat that untill Hit and run goes off, then i usually strafe + multy shot and Refresh my CD and repeat the same steps.
    Maybe I am just UNDERgeared compared to other rogues, I have gotten critical striked from a MM rogue for 2700 damage (deadEye)

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple Thranox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Your spec needs some fine tuning. If you're not going for Eradicate there is very little benefit in going beyond 38 in MM. As a MM you MUST spend some points in Inf for Break Free and Cleanse Soul for solo PvP. I've had some success with 38MM, 17SIN, 11Inf. I have average gear, approaching rank 4, but I'm able to get the Deadeye crits you speak of. Well geared MM put my damage to shame.
    Thranimal - Rogue
    <Odium>

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thranox View Post
    Your spec needs some fine tuning. If you're not going for Eradicate there is very little benefit in going beyond 38 in MM. As a MM you MUST spend some points in Inf for Break Free and Cleanse Soul for solo PvP. I've had some success with 38MM, 17SIN, 11Inf. I have average gear, approaching rank 4, but I'm able to get the Deadeye crits you speak of. Well geared MM put my damage to shame.
    I figured I was going to need LEAP (I used to play WoW hunter class and it's an amazing PvP spell, especially with REFRESH, which makes me leap twice).

    Also someone mind telling me why Eradicate is so good? "Attempts to dispel 2 buffs".
    I don't know the other Souls very well, but 2 buffs can be anything... How can 2 buff make a big difference? I mean if I dispel a rogue (only Soul i know) that target would only be losing, maybe ...
    poison buffs/40dex buff/40endurance buff/50 attk power buff?
    Care to tell me why so many QQ about it?

    Thank you guys again for the reply.

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara xaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stage9 View Post
    I figured I was going to need LEAP (I used to play WoW hunter class and it's an amazing PvP spell, especially with REFRESH, which makes me leap twice).

    Also someone mind telling me why Eradicate is so good? "Attempts to dispel 2 buffs".
    I don't know the other Souls very well, but 2 buffs can be anything... How can 2 buff make a big difference? I mean if I dispel a rogue (only Soul i know) that target would only be losing, maybe ...
    poison buffs/40dex buff/40endurance buff/50 attk power buff?
    Care to tell me why so many QQ about it?

    Thank you guys again for the reply.
    Eradicate is overhyped. It's very, very situational, and any MM who just runs around spamming it is actually contributing less than when he isn't. The QQ comes from clerics getting their HoTs/Buffs stripped, and mages getting their buffs stripped. Yup, just them. What do expect from clerics/mages?

    For low rank PvP, i'd suggest going the cookie cutter mm/nb hybrid spec.
    Last edited by xaed; 05-29-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    237

    Default

    If no Inf I would recommend:

    -44MM/22SIN if you want Eradicate (mostly useful for assist trains + perma stealth is always nice)
    -38MM/26NB (for Heat Retention and SoD), the highest damaging MM spec w/o INF IMO
    -32+MM/32+NB (for Fell Blades if you need/want that), though later when you go up in ranks I would recommend 19MM/32NB/15INF as it is the strongest MM-Fell Blades variant IMO

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Cool, cool thanks guys.

    I will try and look into the specs you've suggested.

    Any other help will be gladly accepted!

    =D

  9. #9
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post
    For low rank PvP, i'd suggest going the cookie cutter mm/nb hybrid spec.

    What is the cookie cutter mm/nb hybrid spec?

  10. #10
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyro View Post
    If no Inf I would recommend:

    -44MM/22SIN if you want Eradicate (mostly useful for assist trains + perma stealth is always nice)
    -38MM/26NB (for Heat Retention and SoD), the highest damaging MM spec w/o INF IMO
    -32+MM/32+NB (for Fell Blades if you need/want that), though later when you go up in ranks I would recommend 19MM/32NB/15INF as it is the strongest MM-Fell Blades variant IMO

    I wish people would post links to the builds, and not just post the numbers

  11. #11
    Shield of Telara WriteThemWrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    744

    Default

    Eradicate is absolutely deadly. Ever since I started using, those pesky Inquisicar specs are nothing after you debuff their justicar buffs and ruin their rotation. In team fights it might not seem as useful as doling out damage but if you can debuff the other teams healers and dps, it does make a difference. With that said, I prefer to only use it 2-3 times then go straight into dps, spamming it can get redundant.
    Last edited by WriteThemWrong; 05-29-2011 at 12:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts