+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This Game's PVP has no Challenge, Strategy, or Depth

Default This Game's PVP has no Challenge, Strategy, or Depth

I'm terribly disappointed with the way PVP is in this game and for MMO's its a huge deal to me because the last thing I want to do all the time is fight NPCs. I play MMO's because I want to play with and against other "players" specifically in a game that is a traditional RPG like setting i.e. - swords, armor, horses, spells, etc.

This brings me to the major pet peeves I'm having with Rift so I'll list them out for the developers to hopefully take note:

1) The pace of combat is too fast. People die way too fast and kill way too fast even with high valor. It doesn't allow for any strategy except for button mashing and assist-trains.

2) The warfronts seem to be the only place pvp happens and after a short while there just isn't enough of them. The lack of variety is boring after a time. World pvp is really a moot point and barely ever happens only when one team is rift raiding in a zone or random run-ins. No objective there.

3) The combat itself (the gameplay) is very, very dull. Because your game's macro system allows you to combine so many reactive abilities to your regular attacks with ease, it takes the depth and strategy AND skill of the player out of the equation entirely. You can take any class, I mean any, and just play it with 2-3 buttons, sometimes less. Good gameplay should involve some forward thinking like what will I hit next if X does Y, etc. There isn't any of that really.

4) I won't list the balance issues because that is an ongoing problem with any MMO's PVP. All I can say here is that PVP and PVE abilities should be totally separate in power and utility. This will prevent PVP from being ruined because of PVE and vice versa.

So Trion, I noticed on your company website you're hiring to find a developer for PVP content and I appreciate that. You realize this game has a bad problem with its player versus player and I sincerely hope you find that person quickly because I just can't see the value in using your product long-term with how it is now.
    Last edited by Protokill; 05-28-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Soulwalker

See you next time.

/wave

Quote Originally Posted by Protokill View Post
    So Trion, I noticed on your company website you're hiring to find a developer for PVP content and I appreciate that. You realize this game has a bad problem with its player versus player and I sincerely hope you find that person quickly because I just can't see the value in using your product long-term with how it is now.

To bad they noticed it to late.

IGN: Haldir (High Elf Cleric)

I forgot to mention the over-emphasis on gear in PVP. This creates a huge gap for skilled players just entering the battlefield vs. those that have taken the time to get R6 gear. That R6 gear shouldn't mean an instant-victory button. It should simply give you some advantage but not decide the end of the battle before it began.

That is the mistake Warhammer made with its PVP gear and its Realm Ranks. AOC screwed this up too with their PVP ranks.
    Last edited by Protokill; 05-28-2011 at 08:51 AM.

I completely disagree with the OP.

I personally love the pace, have almost no macros, and spend ninety percent of my time strategically engaging/disengaging, countering, and goal switching. I have about 18 skills I'm running through that are each contingent on the situation (which probably allows me to crush macro people). How fast someone dies feels almost identical to almost any other MMO I've played.

The idea of no progression in PvP? That's not a sustainable model as far as I can tell.

WFs are certainly the center point of PvP as was intended, as about 80 percent of the Rift population prefers PvE. This idea of RvR is so complex that even if they tried to institute your 'vision' of it, likely half of the other people pushing for it would call your vision too care bear or too hardcore, thus never satisfying anyone but you really. RvR servers also dwindle remarkably over time compared to PvE for whatever reason...just a fact.

Honestly, I think you may enjoy chess or a nice RTS a bit more than MMO PvP, and that's ok.

Specifically, in regards to 'button mashing', there's at least a small chance you'll have to press buttons while on a computer game.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Protokill View Post
    I forgot to mention the over-emphasis on gear in PVP. This creates a huge gap for skilled players just entering the battlefield vs. those that have taken the time to get R6 gear. That R6 gear shouldn't mean an instant-victory button. It should simply give you some advantage but not decide the end of the battle before it began.

That is the mistake Warhammer made with its PVP gear and its Realm Ranks. AOC screwed this up too with their PVP ranks.
    R6 isn't anywhere near instant win. My group finally started pvping because we realized some of the gear was BiS(codex trinket) and we consistently beat p6 players/premades with our PvE gear(read: no valor). It is an advantage, nothing more.

+ Reply to Thread