+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should Trion fix/balance MAGIC RESISTS?

Telaran

Question Should Trion fix/balance MAGIC RESISTS?

Hi, if you ever fought you know how strong fire mages. How 1 spell does 4-7k damage and other instant casts 1k? How many fire mages on the servars and how many other classes?

I sure there aren't any kind of magic resists. These are already here too poor, 10 points for 1% damage reduction when 1 good essense give you only 20 points. Are there any public statistic for pvp from Trion?

What do you think about GREATLY improving magic resists repcentage (x2,x3)?

Plane Touched

Frankly, I think magic damage is fine as it is and that physical damage damage out to be brought in line with it on clerics and warriors, possibly by adding more/better armor penetration options on the PvP souls, or adding armor penetration to PvP weapons.

fier mage r strong make big number

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Neuts View Post
    Frankly, I think magic damage is fine as it is and that physical damage damage out to be brought in line with it on clerics and warriors, possibly by adding more/better armor penetration options on the PvP souls, or adding armor penetration to PvP weapons.
    are you really think 4-7k damage one-shot intended? how healers would do their job if all become one-shot?

Quote Originally Posted by happyhorror View Post
    are you really think 4-7k damage one-shot intended? how healers would do their job if all become one-shot?
    We don't, that is why PvP is so boring at the moment. It's not just the odd one-shots, it's the 1, 2 or 3 GCD speed kills. In 5 seconds you can get killed by a stormcaller or a pyro, that's only enough time to cast one 3s directed heal which doesnt even overcome the damage taken in that amount of time(or on 1 round of damage).

And now with the renewed call by Trion to reduce DR timers, we're back to AOE fear/stormcaller AOE battles that last 7 seconds. Battles in FPS games lasted longer, look at battlefield 2.
    Last edited by Anwedie; 05-28-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Rift Chaser

Valor should just calculate differently for magic and physical. Physical already gets a bonus to reduction from armor, where magic does not. even if i go for additional damage reduction from talents for magic you don't notice the difference all the much with an extra 20 percent reduction from vk to magic.

I dont disagree that a ranged player with cast times for their abilities should hit hard, the problem is there's so many instant cast/proc mechanics that exploit that damage really well. This is a huge issue considering the crit damage of these attacks is 80-90% of a lot of players health, and the ones that have more health then that aren't enough of a threat to draw their attention.

Rift Chaser

Valor is just a lazy man's resist rate. Too be honest, whenever I see a game half azz PvP content with blanket mitigation stats like Valor, Resilience, etc., I just roll my eyes cause we all know what crowd they're appealing to (read: ADHD FPS).

Don't worry about Resist as long as there is Valor. Yeah, it would be cool if PvP mechanics were as intricate as to make worrying about Resist worth it, but they're not. Meh.
    Last edited by Stewy; 05-28-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Anwedie View Post
    We don't, that is why PvP is so boring at the moment. It's not just the odd one-shots, it's the 1, 2 or 3 GCD speed kills. In 5 seconds you can get killed by a stormcaller or a pyro, that's only enough time to cast one 3s directed heal which doesnt even overcome the damage taken in that amount of time(or on 1 round of damage).

And now with the renewed call by Trion to reduce DR timers, we're back to AOE fear/stormcaller AOE battles that last 7 seconds. Battles in FPS games lasted longer, look at battlefield 2.
    Or, we could make PvP last even longer like it had in Vanilla Alterac Valley. All those quest turn ins and NPC encounters made for days long epic battles. (This is where FPS fans thinly shrouded cries for "longer encounters" is exposed for the LoS fest, button mashing snorefests they really want it to be. "Peeling", "Focus Fire", "Priority Switches"? Yes. Actualy RPG Content and Battles that don't just involve their constantly jumping toons? No.)

Trion just should make that hit/focus doesn't works in pvp - it's pve stat.
    Adalie r8 Rogue - Icewatch
    Acex r6 Cleric - Icewatch
    Gran r8 warrior - Icewatch

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Acex View Post
    Trion just should make that hit/focus doesn't works in pvp - it's pve stat.
    if hit/focus really gives you same effect in pvp then it really bug

till my pvp rank 3 i never saw 1 physical attack damaging more then ~2.5k (finishers), but fire damage from pyros always goes 1k+ and ends with one-shot kills

also there is only 1 kind of physical def and 6 kinds of poor magic resists

lud
    Champion

lightning strike crits for 3200
    fireball crits 2900 twice in a row
    fulm crits 5700

Nothing melee have can do that in one shot and it just keeps getting higher, why do games always forgot magic resistance and then add it in later.

Telaran

i want offer you some numbers for thinking:

(as i didn't play warriors, i will compare numbers from database for pyro and rogues's abilities)

the most strongest abilities of pyro are - fulminate, cinder burst, inferno, they usually doing one-shot kills
    at lvl 50 they has values:

fulminate - 489
    cinder burst - 392 (yes, casting time of that spell basicly 6.0 Seconds, but with ability "Pyromancer's Armor" it become INSTANT in avarage after 10-th any fire damaging spells, i hope Fire Storm doesn't trigger that armor on every new target )
    inferno - 211 (only if target below 30% health)
    fireball/flame bolt - 152 (1.5 second cast/instant)

so, these numbers doesn't look so strong, but we forget some enchancers:

Internalize Charge - 20%
    Improved Flame Bolt - 10% (for 10 second with 100% chance)
    Burning Bright - 30% for 50 points in pyro
    Ground of Power - 10%
    Ignition - 20% cast speed, but for non-instant abilities we can count it as ~20% damage (~ because of GCD, so we can think it just 10% damage)

now pyro gets for all INSTANT abilities totaly 20+10+30+10 = 70% of damage and for abilities with casting time additional 10-20% damage

and we can add there Archmage's abilities from 3-rd rang, they're:

1. 15% damage
    2. 100% crit for 1 ability every 3 minute
    3. 10% chance crit for 10 seconds on any crit
    4. 100% chance of making instant interrupted cast

as you may see - pyro gets nearly CONSTANT DOUBLE DAMAGE

now marksman's abilies damage doesn't look so high in compare:

(for 15 seconds twice he can use first two described abilies instantly)

Empowered Shot - 150 (gives 2 points for 1 shot)
    Deadeye Shot - 4 Points: 368, 5 Points: 461 (usually i use only 4 points, because 461 - 368 < 150)
    Swift Shot 76 (will use it after 30 seconds when 2 previous become normal)

even with passive things:

sniper's pedistal - 30% damage
    Sniper Training - 21% damage to Empowered Shot and Deadeye Shot
    Penetrating Shots - ignore 20% of phys def (i really don't sure how phys def reduction calculates, but it looks suck after testing with some abilities)
    Increased Fire Power - 25% to attack from crits for 10 second (just keep in mind, attack isn't same as OUTCOME DAMAGE, this additional bonus less affecting real damage)

so, total damage of markman isn't going to be doubled, it probably become 50%

WITHOUT IMPROVED MAGIC RESISTS or nerfed pyros their damage become hell high, fireballs damage for 500-800, cinder burst and fulminate doing one-shots with damage 3-6k and if you still staing alive inferno !@#$% you for 2-3k more
    Last edited by happyhorror; 06-05-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Telaran

i also trying guess, why all item with spell power usually have x2 more value then items with attack power...

Rift Chaser

Posts like this boggle my mind. My Mage has about 1050 Spellpower and everything allocated in his souls is for DPS, not survivability. My Fireballs hit Clerics at P3 and higher for, at the most, 2000 (assuming the Cleric is deaf, dumb, and blind). And, no, before you ask it, this is without Detaunt cause those are saved for Rogues.

I don't know what rank you are, OP, but higher ranks will all but solve this predicament for you. Just show some patience.

+ Reply to Thread