+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Thoughts on how to increase the Dominators effectiveness in PvP, with the CC changes.

  1. #1
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default Thoughts on how to increase the Dominators effectiveness in PvP, with the CC changes.

    I think they should remove some of the CC from Dominators since the CC change has made many of them redundant, and replace them with other abilities, for example;

    Minds eye *Instant Cast* (10 second recast) [15 second duration]
    - Increases casters range by 20 meters, and radius of AE spells by 7 meters.
    - Reduces targets range by 20 meters, and radius of AE spells by 7 meters, unless the spell only has 7 meter radius, then it remains unchanged.

    Concussive Mind Blast *1 second cast time* (6 second recast)
    - Forces target to detarget.
    - Knocks target back 10 meters.

    Gaseous Form *Instant Cast* (30 second recast) [Duration 5 seconds]
    - Caster is silenced.
    - Caster gains 50% run speed
    - Caster will Dodge 50% incoming attacks.
    - Caster is immune to Snare and Root effects.
    - Caster is immune to AE damage. (Unless targetted)

    Invisibility *1 second casting time* (2 minute recast) [Duration 30 seconds]
    - Casts invisibility on target.

    Transfer Mana *1 second casting time* (6 second recast)
    - Transfers the casters mana to the target.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  2. #2
    Rift Master bubulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    I think they should remove some of the CC from Dominators since the CC change has made many of them redundant, and replace them with other abilities, for example;

    Minds eye *Instant Cast* (10 second recast) [15 second duration]
    - Increases casters range by 20 meters, and radius of AE spells by 7 meters.
    - Reduces targets range by 20 meters, and radius of AE spells by 7 meters, unless the spell only has 7 meter radius, then it remains unchanged.

    Concussive Mind Blast *1 second cast time* (6 second recast)
    - Forces target to detarget.
    - Knocks target back 10 meters.

    Gaseous Form *Instant Cast* (30 second recast) [Duration 5 seconds]
    - Caster is silenced.
    - Caster gains 50% run speed
    - Caster will Dodge 50% incoming attacks.
    - Caster is immune to Snare and Root effects.
    - Caster is immune to AE damage. (Unless targetted)

    Invisibility *1 second casting time* (2 minute recast) [Duration 30 seconds]
    - Casts invisibility on target.

    Transfer Mana *1 second casting time* (6 second recast)
    - Transfers the casters mana to the target.
    Dominator should be a soul that specialize in punishing people for their actions. I like a couple of your suggested spells, but archon can already transfer mana. Also not sure about gaseous form.

    Dominator should have more spells like haunting pain. If you don't move, you take gigantic damage, etc. If you swing your weapon in next 10 sec, you will lose 50% of your attack poiwer!

    Enemy cleric healer, stop casting, if you cast within 5 sec, you will damage your target instead of healing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsmile View Post
    there is no way a mage could out dps a cleric in this game. sad to say but its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroburrito View Post
    mage - the garbage man, taking out the trash.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bubulu View Post
    Dominator should be a soul that specialize in punishing people for their actions. I like a couple of your suggested spells, but archon can already transfer mana. Also not sure about gaseous form.

    Dominator should have more spells like haunting pain. If you don't move, you take gigantic damage, etc. If you swing your weapon in next 10 sec, you will lose 50% of your attack poiwer!

    Enemy cleric healer, stop casting, if you cast within 5 sec, you will damage your target instead of healing them.
    I would be fine with them adding spells that cause ill effects based off the actions taken.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  4. #4
    Rift Master bubulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    I would be fine with them adding spells that cause ill effects based off the actions taken.
    PvP would be so much fun with a dominator on either part. People cannot just spam damage, damage, healing healing. They will have to look at their debuffs and take appropriate actions.

    But obviously, those spells cannot be excessive, or players will just get frustrated and whine. Moderate cooldowns are needed to give other players a window of chance to kill dominator.

    Edit: Another function that dominator can have is debuff/buff protection. Enemy player that tries to eradicate will instead eradicate their own buffs. Enemy healer that tries to dispel DoTs will instead spread the DoTs.
    Last edited by bubulu; 05-24-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsmile View Post
    there is no way a mage could out dps a cleric in this game. sad to say but its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroburrito View Post
    mage - the garbage man, taking out the trash.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I would like to see dominator as a tank spec or melee spec.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    I'm actually suprised they didn't give the Dominator a charm like spell to be honest. The charm shouldn't work on players, but would add a nice touch to the class. You could even use it in Port Scion, but I suppose not being able to use it in the other three Warfronts might cause a stink with the player base. Unless, of course you could charm a pet.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  7. #7
    Ascendant Menaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Dominator is half of my build, and has been since Beta. I usually have a K/D ratio of 3 or 4 to one. I don't have a wishlist for it to change anything.

    How can you not 1v1 anyone with insta-cast transmogrify?

  8. #8
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    Dominator is half of my build, and has been since Beta. I usually have a K/D ratio of 3 or 4 to one. I don't have a wishlist for it to change anything.

    How can you not 1v1 anyone with insta-cast transmogrify?
    My fault, I thought this was a group game.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  9. #9
    Ascendant Menaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    My fault, I thought this was a group game.
    It is, my premade "group" has two dominators

  10. #10
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    It is, my premade "group" has two dominators
    I wish we was fighting your premade, we'd get free wins. My premade has the potential to cure anything you do, without the use of Break Free.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  11. #11
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Would like to continue a conversation in regards to this soul.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  12. #12
    Champion joanlewiswrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    525

    Default

    This is my other great disappointment with Rift. Hearing about the then-upcoming CC 'fixes' and realizing what they would do to Dom. It was my favorite soul, although I hadn't even begun to get a handle on it. Well, it's a bit difficult to learn to play when as soon as people realize you're using CC, they send two or three people to focus fire you down every time you get back from the graveyard.
    I'd be an advocate for separate queues for premade and non premade groups. Some people have said they were successful in all queuing separately at the exact same time. If this is true, there will still be rofl-stomps of non premade groups even if only 90% of the team gets in. Does anyone have an idea how they could/even would combat this?
    Posted on 03-07-2011 by Sinoxis

  13. #13
    Ascendant Trisian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    I don't notice any problems with dimnishing returns and Dominator role in practice, but I'll agree on paper it doesn't look good for doms. Dom/Lock is my go-to for when I notice their team's being propped up by a good healer and it never disappoints.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    I don't notice any problems with dimnishing returns and Dominator role in practice, but I'll agree on paper it doesn't look good for doms. Dom/Lock is my go-to for when I notice their team's being propped up by a good healer and it never disappoints.
    As a healer, I barely even notice a Dom anymore to be honest. Prior to 1.2 if I felt the effects of a Dom, I was shouting in vent; "kill my target, he's a dominator!!", but since 1.2 I can't think of one time I've even noticed a Dominator on the opposing team.

    For that matter, I can't think of a time since 1.2 someone has shouted for me to cure, so I havn't had to use empowering light since the patch.
    Last edited by Visions; 05-25-2011 at 04:29 AM.


    MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

  15. #15
    Ascendant Trisian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    As a healer, I barely even notice a Dom anymore to be honest. Prior to 1.2 if I felt the effects of a Dom, I was shouting in vent; "kill my target, he's a dominator!!", but since 1.2 I can't think of one time I've even noticed a Dominator on the opposing team.

    For that matter, I can't think of a time since 1.2 someone has shouted for me to cure, so I havn't had to use empowering light since the patch.
    You're not suppose to notice Doms unless you read combat logs and yet they still earn VERY healthy favor. That is the beauty of them.
    You on the other hand just sound like you want to be arrogant for the sake of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts